+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

Scott2015

Oct 27, 2015
Hey all,

I'm a Emily Carr University graduate from the USA who applied for my PGWP online back on May 15th. I can't believe that the process has taken this long, but it's actually comforting to hear the feedback from everyone else who is still waiting! I called CIC on October 19th to see what they could tell me about the processing date having already passed May 15th and I was told that I hadn't paid the additional $100 fee...which I was never prompted to do. The agent on the phone told me that he would notify CIC to send me the $100 bill, but I haven't received anything as of October 27th.

Applied: May 15th
Blank Update: Aug 04th
Application Status: Open

I've definitely already lost a job and a relationship over this so I'm not sure how excited I'll be when the application is finally processed.

ayaz94

Jan 1, 2013
Hi Scott,

When I called CIC, the agent said he didn't know why there is a delay but if I didn't hear from CIC by 2nd Dec ??? ??? then I should call them again. He said there is additional verification going on :-\ :-\
Btw I applied on 20th May and same as you, paid 155 CAD - but I myself paid another 100 CAD 2 months ago looking at different people scenario (I was hoping that this won't delay my case but all in vain- It got delayed).

Pier39lab

Oct 23, 2015
How do I get throught to a call centre agent, I went through all their Automated Options but nothing directs me to a HUMAN. How did you get to talk to them?

Thanks

kalum55

Oct 28, 2015
Hello Scott,

I have same situation just like you.

I graduated from UBC at May/2015. Then applied on 17th/May with payment of 155$.

And nothing happened since then, no one ever ask me to pay that 100$ fee..

I am actually working right now, and my employer is not happy.......

Called the CIC twice, and after waiting for 16 mins they tell me there is nothing they can do.......

Kalum

jay9091

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Hi Guys,

I applied on 2nd June and I have not heard anything yet. Earlier I used to get blank updates, but since last 2 months, no blank updates even (just "thank you for your patience email" at the end of the month). With the processing date is on 5th June now, I am worried what is going on. Students who were in my class applied in late June / early July or even in August have got their visas already.

I called CIC Call Center 2 weeks ago and they told me that they have sent an inquiry to the Visa Processing Center to ask what is happening as there are no updates on my application. I had paid $255, so I guess that is not an issue. I was told by the call center agent that since they have sent an inquiry, I might be expecting a call from a Visa Officer or an Update on the application status, but there is NOTHING yet.

Please let me know guys if I can do anything else. Should I call them back ? Does anyone do this? Please guys help.

Pier39lab

Oct 23, 2015
@Jay9091, oh boy you had the same experience too.

Can anyone here please tell me how to get through to a call centre agent? No matter what I do, no matter what key I press, I can't get around that female programmed robot talk that chewed my ears off. I've been pressing keys for hours now.

Thanks!!!

tuxiaobao

Oct 31, 2015
I applied the PGWP on May 2nd, and got the request for the $100 fee for open work permit holder fee on August 22nd. I've called CIC like 30 times after the application passed the processing time. But the status is still open for processing. It's been six months since I submitted my application. I'm really tired of calling CIC. I have to wait for 16 minutes every time to talk to one agent, and the agents won't even check the application for you. They just keep telling you to wait wait wait. I just wonder can I go back to my home country if I don't get the work permit? Will I be refused to enter into Canada when I come back without the work permit? I don't want to stay here during Christmas Holiday! :mad: :mad: :mad:

tuxiaobao

Oct 31, 2015
Hello, everyone. I called CIC this morning. They told me that they are cleaning up all the delayed applications, and we are supposed to see a status updates on Nov 10th saying your work permit has been shipped out. The agent also told me that if I don't get that updates in my account, I should call them back. So, we finally get the great news after all these days waiting. Cheer up.

buyaohewobb

Nov 2, 2015
Great news from you, I did call last week to CIC. Agent said do not make same reasaon call again, the officer is taking action on you application. However, this promise is weak, they will never tell you when is ready, and what is going on with it, or even be impatient with all you doubts. No one can monitor or complain their negligent of duty, and waiting is only you choice, on longer how much time expire. I have been told to wait other 3 months to make a new call if the officer did not process the agent's message. I have no word to say, and hope everything is fine.

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
WP Approved- Waiting for the document

Applied: July 3rd, 2015
Decision: November 2nd, 2015

Its a closed WP specific to an employer

j.a.jaimes20

Jul 21, 2015
Hi. I applied on May 27th and I still don't get anything, even though they say they are working on applications of June 20. I called and there not much I can do about it, just waiting more. Is anyone else with the same issue?? THanks

pk2601

Nov 5, 2015
This is going to be a bit of a long post. I hope it is informative.

I applied for my PGWP on July 14 2015. I received my approval letter today Nov 5 2015. This process was stressful. Not because the application was difficult but because there was such a long wait. Okay now I know you are probably reading this post to understand why you haven't received your visa yet and you applied a long time ago. There can be a few reasons for that

1) The most obvious reason is that CIC is backed on their applications. This only makes sense because there are several people applying for their post graduate work permits (majority of students graduate in the summer). If you have been following the process times in the last two weeks you may have noticed they are moving faster. Just be patient. I know it's not that easy because you want to start working and not have to stress about it.

NOTE: You can work while you wait for your PGWP as long as you have help a work permit while you were a student and have a Canadian social insurance number (SIN). Now if you are waiting for the PGWP to come through and ALL your visas expire before it arrives, you are under an implied status. Your SIN is valid according to service Canada. Just note you CANNOT leave the country if your TRV is expired. That revokes the implied status. You can travel within Canada as long as you have a valid photo ID. I used my provincial drivers license and passport at times too.

2) For those who applied before July 1st (before the fee went up by $100), I am not certain what you can do. I paid the new amount. If calling CIC call centers does not help try sending them an email. There is a form you can fill out and it sends them an email.

3) I have had friends who sent in proof of graduate letters but their application was put on hold because they had to send a transcript. Note: The proof of graduate letter from the university needs to state your name, duration of studies, the program and the graduation date (this is not the convocation date, it is usually the day official results are out or the last day of the term). It is better to send both the proof of graduate letter and transcript (merge them into one PDF if applying online).

The application is to be mailed shortly. I will post an update as soon as I receive the PGWP.

I hope this was helpful. It shouldn't have to be this stressful.

Maria112233

Nov 6, 2015
Hi all!
Does any one know:
1. How often does PGWP get refused?
2. If having a delayed application means that it's going to get refused?
3. If adding an offer of employment will fasten the processing time?
4. If anyone had it delayed and got it accepted recently?
Thank you!

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
Hi Everyone, I applied for a PGWP on September 10th. I got an email just now (Sunday night) that my application has been updated but when I logged in, there was nothing new. Anybody have a similar experience?