+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

Kim1001

Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for that. Another question, so what will my husband get when I apply for the PGWP seeing that his open work permit is the same tenure as my study permit, what will I apply for for him?

marathongirl

Jul 31, 2015
Hi!

I applied beginning of June for my PGWP - still waiting! I have extended my MSP coverage until the end of October, as I read you were allowed to do so if on implied status - though from reading in the forum if the wait time is 145 days, this takes me until (at least) December, and the 3 month extension I got will run out at the end of this month! What have other people done in this situation? I don't want to be without MSP - also, my SIN will expire soon - can we renew it whilst still on implied status??

Thanks so much!!

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Kim1001 said:
Thanks for that. Another question, so what will my husband get when I apply for the PGWP seeing that his open work permit is the same tenure as my study permit, what will I apply for for him?
When I applied for my PGWP, I also applied for an open work permit for my husband. You can apply together, through your MyCIC account (he needs to appoint you as a representative and fill out an extra form).

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
marathongirl said:
Hi!

I applied beginning of June for my PGWP - still waiting! I have extended my MSP coverage until the end of October, as I read you were allowed to do so if on implied status - though from reading in the forum if the wait time is 145 days, this takes me until (at least) December, and the 3 month extension I got will run out at the end of this month! What have other people done in this situation? I don't want to be without MSP - also, my SIN will expire soon - can we renew it whilst still on implied status??

Thanks so much!!
I'm not sure about the MSP. I had to go without health coverage for a couple of months, till my husband got us coverage through his work.

My SIN will also expire soon (end of Nov). But the PGWP might take another couple of months and so I'll be on implied status with an expired SIN. Check this page out from McGill University where they explain how you can continue to be employed and paid with an expired SIN: https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/social-insurance

Also, since sometimes these university pages may not have the most updated info or things might different from province to province - call or visit the Service Canada nearest to you and check with them.

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Hi guys does anyone know of a case of PGWP rejection for working on a valid study permit before applying for a PGWP after graduation.

marathongirl

Jul 31, 2015
Thanks @NaomiA!
Good luck to everyone still waiting... I really hope they clear this back log soon...It would be nice to go home for Christmas :)

goosepalm

Aug 20, 2015
Hello,
My name is Kelvin, I applied PGWP on June 1st,15. Today, I phoned CIC to ask about the delay because now they are working on applications on June 5.
The person said my applications is still processing, he said he will send a email to ask about my case. BUT !!! He also said It will take 90 days to process. I was like what the hack, I have been waiting for 4 months already, and now i have to wait another 90 days ? :mad: :'(

I'm just wondering is there anything that i can do or a way to complain about it ?

thank you,
Kelvin.

Pier39lab

Oct 23, 2015
Hi Kelvin,

I'm in the same spot too. I applied on 21st May and still waiting. What number did you call them on? 1 888-242-2100?

If you hear from them, please let me know. My email is pier39lab@gmail.com

Nina B

Oct 23, 2015
Hi guys,

I am in the same boat, I applied on May 15th and still waiting. I lost a job offer because of this, feeling so frustrated.
The processing time is now June 5th and I have no ideas what's happening to my application! :(

Has anyone got it yet?

ayaz94

Jan 1, 2013
Hello All,

I also applied on 20th May but still waiting to get my PGWP. Just checked CIC website and cam to know that now they are processing June 6th applications. Please let me know what you people (those who applied before 6th June) are doing. I tried to call CIC but they were not attending the call due to huge no. of calls :mad: :mad: and may be that's because most of the cases of May applicants haven't been finalized.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
Hey guys, correct me if I am wrong, please.

But, whom applied to PGWP and after that your study permit expires, or even it expired before you applied, but inside the 90 days after that, you are going to have the implied status and it means (from CIC website):

A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, R186(u) and R189 (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

So, all of you that was working before your application to PGWP you can still work with no problem, even if you SIN number expires you can continue to work.

Why that?
Because your status when you applied for PGWP is going to remain the same until the decision of your application.

For example (fictional dates):
Study Permit expires: 30/12/2015
Permission to Work OFF Campus expires: 30/12/2015
SIN Number expires: 30/12/2015
Last day of Classes from Post-Secondary Institution in a 2 year program: 13/12/2015
Unofficial Transcripts available: 20/12/2015
PGWP Application: 28/12/2015
PGWP Received: 15/06/2016

Between 30/12/2015 and 15/06/2016 the person who applied to PGWP is going to hold an Implied Status and keeping his or her status that he or she hold when applied to PGWP.

The user that lost a job offer because it was taking so long to process the PGWP, lost it, probably, the company that was hiring him didn't know about the implied status or the user didn't know this and didn't explain it.

If I am completely wrong, please correct me.

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi guys,

It's been a while but I have great news! My PGWP application has finally been approved! ;D
I have been preparing for my PGWP application since March because of a number of factors... It's been a long time coming to this day!
  • My old passport was about to expire in Nov 2015 so first of all, I renewed my passport in March and I got my new one in May
  • Because of my old passport's expiration date, my study permit was set to expire in June 30 (6 months before the passport expires), and it was also the same month I finish school. This was problematic because I literally had days right after I get my transcript to apply for the PGWP in order to meet the criteria that I apply with a valid study permit. Because I didn't want to risk it and my school won't guarantee the release of my documents before June 30, I also applied for a 90-day study permit extension in May just in case they denied my application because I didn't meet the deadline.
  • Thankfully, my school released my documents on time and I was able to apply for the PGWP with a few days to spare. At this point, I had two pending applications: a SP Extension and PGWP.
  • CIC approved both applications! I applied for the SP extension in May 17 and it was approved on September 30 (the SP was valid until Dec 30, 2015). I applied for the PGWP in June 27 and it was approved on October 21 (the PGWP was valid until Oct 21, 2018).
  • During the 4-month wait, I was able to find work. I was lucky that my employer wasn't specific about working under implied status, and only asked for my SIN even though it was "expired" (although we also have implied status for SIN that allows us to work without getting a new one). However, it's what I would consider a temporary job and it was not exactly related to my field. At least I earned some money while waiting and kept myself busy :)
  • I have resigned from my summer job and have a field-related one lined up. Hopefully it works out! I am just waiting for my permit to arrive in the mail, and then I can apply for my new TRV, extend my MSP coverage, and renew my SIN.

Wishing everyone all the best! CIC is getting back on track :)

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
@marathongirl: I waited without extending my MSP coverage. It's your choice, I just thought it's less bills to pay while waiting :p You can't renew your SIN without a new permit though. While you have a pending application, you have implied status that allows you to work using your expired SIN. Although Service Canada says that it's your responsibility to update your SIN and inform your employer once your application has been approved.

@virtu:Yes that is the likely scenario that will happen. My co-worker used to be an international student, she is now working under the PGWP program. She said that last year, it only took her 3 weeks to get the permit. That's the main reason why I worked under implied status but it was not a field-related/"permanent" job. Not only will employers be unlikely to "risk" hiring you with a pending application, it would also be a waste of resources for them to train somebody who has chances of being rejected and leave the company due to immigration issues. But really, there is no reason for CIC to deny you if you meet their criteria for the PGWP. The only reason I can think of is if you violated the conditions of your Study Permit. I am not sure about part-time students, I feel that that is a grey area.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
@humdrumdum: Great. Thanks for sharing your experience. Probably that will happen with me, and I just have to make sure to receive a letter from my College that I finish my program before my Study Permit expire, so I can apply to PGWP and get my Implied Status.

I am a little bit early in my plannings, because I am going to finish my studies only in Dec/2016, but I am having a situation similar to your, look:

Probably end date of my studies: Dec/16
Study Permit Expire: Mar/16
Passport Expire: Mar/16 - I already got a new passport
Study Permit Extension application: middle of Jan/16
- in this application I am going to tell CIC that probably I will finish my studies in Dec/16 and my official transcripts will be available 1 month later.

So, depending of the new expire date of my new study permit I am going to be in the same situation as yours, also, my new passport will expire in 2018, so, my PGWP will be short in almost 1 year, then I will need to apply to a new passport and then apply to PGWP to get the remaining time.