+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Oct 21, 2021
Did you submit a webform with your original transcript after you submitted the application with unofficial transcripts?
My application was submitted with my official transcripts. I have nothing further to include in my application. If I am to submit a webform, it would be an inquiry of processing progress which I feel is kind of pointless

ChrisCan

Star Member
Mar 15, 2021
I am on study permit extension working full time because I have applied for pgwp. WIthout pgwp i traveled with a valid trv and the officer at the entry told me they might ask you extra questions because you traveled and continued working under implied status but most of the cases they dont.

Esporte321

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Did you submit a webform with your original transcript after you submitted the application with unofficial transcripts?
In my original application I submitted the transcript obtained from university website (un-official), which is accepted. However, in that time it wasn't the FINAL transcript (it didn't say that I finished the program, although I sent the official letter). So, when I got access to my final transcript (un-official), I uploaded it by webform. I don't know if it worked, but I received a standard e-mail some days after, saying that they received the webform. Applied on sep 12th and no updates since then.

cooky.sonu

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hello, anyone within August application from ON with an approval or update. Also i received a letter saying that i can work until a decision is made or dec 16, so if a decision is not made by dec 16 do i have to stop working? any one to help?
pls update your status if anything changes.

KanikaJ

Aug 28, 2021
Looking for an advise please. I have submitted my pgwp application on 27th august and forgot to fill trv form with the same. Is it advisable to raise a webform and attach the TRV document now or I should wait till my PGWP is processed.

smarties

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
YEG
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO-S / CPC-O / OSC-O
App. Filed.......
08-12-2022
AOR Received.
08-12-2022
LANDED..........
09-03-2023
Can we apply for trv without getting our PGWP approved?
No.

Quoting https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/travel.html:

"Applicants should not apply for a TRV until they have received their post-graduation work permit, as the TRV is issued only for the length of the applicant’s current status document or travel document, whichever has the earlier expiry date."

Reactions: Sree2750

smarties

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
YEG
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO-S / CPC-O / OSC-O
App. Filed.......
08-12-2022
AOR Received.
08-12-2022
LANDED..........
09-03-2023
True, but I just stick with the more stringent rule/condition so as not to give them any reason for rejection. Can't always rely on hopefully getting a linient case officer.
I found an interesting clause on the program delivery instructions, which states that the authority of paragraph R186 still stands despite the date stated in the WP-EXT letter. The date only serves to satisfy potential employers that anyone on maintained status is authorized to work while waiting on a decision on their PGWP application, and has no effect on the duration of the maintained status itself.

Quoting the Letter Validity clause under Interim Proof of Work, found at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html:

"Officers should understand that the validity date of the letter in no way overrides the authority of paragraph R186(u), which allows foreign nationals who meet the requirements to continue working until a final decision is made on their work permit renewal application or the foreign national leaves Canada.

The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired."

To add:

"The letter is provided to applicants as proof that they have continued authorization to work, and the validity date is added to give employers and other stakeholders a more concrete period of time of authorized work. IRCC has found in the past that employers and stakeholders are reluctant to accept an unknown period such as “until a decision is made.”"

Hope this helps to clear the confusion around maintained status length / validity.

scilla

May 6, 2021
I found an interesting clause on the program delivery instructions, which states that the authority of paragraph R186 still stands despite the date stated in the WP-EXT letter. The date only serves to satisfy potential employers that anyone on maintained status is authorized to work while waiting on a decision on their PGWP application, and has no effect on the duration of the maintained status itself.

Quoting the Letter Validity clause under Interim Proof of Work, found at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html:

"Officers should understand that the validity date of the letter in no way overrides the authority of paragraph R186(u), which allows foreign nationals who meet the requirements to continue working until a final decision is made on their work permit renewal application or the foreign national leaves Canada.

The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired."

To add:

"The letter is provided to applicants as proof that they have continued authorization to work, and the validity date is added to give employers and other stakeholders a more concrete period of time of authorized work. IRCC has found in the past that employers and stakeholders are reluctant to accept an unknown period such as “until a decision is made.”"

Hope this helps to clear the confusion around maintained status length / validity.
This is not applicable to PGWP applicants. PGWP applicants fall under R186(w)

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
Please share what the IRCC officer says, I tried calling to inquire but since it wasn't an emergency because of Afghanistan crisis, I wasn't able to get through to one. I will stop working for sure when my date reaches, but I'm curious about what the IRCC says about it's contradictory messaging.
We did call about this exactly same issue and got en email from IRCC:

Coronavirus - Maintained status and authorization to work without a permit

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your work permit application is still in process. If the letter we sent you when you applied online to extend or change your work permit is now expired and you haven’t left Canada, you have maintained your status. You can keep working under the same conditionsof your current work permit until we make a decision on your application.

Here is why the letter expires after 120 days:
  • This is the service standard to process this type of application, and
  • Many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work,
    • an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada.
If your employer or others require proof that you can continue to work, you can show them:
  • This email,
  • The information on our website,
  • Your expired immigration document,
  • A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your account,
  • Proof that you paid the fees, and/or
  • If you received a Request Letter from IRCC, a copy of that letter.
For more information on maintained status, we invite you to consult our website.