+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Wh

What does it say on yours to make you think that?
The letter I received states the following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Going by the 89 days processing time, July 30th people should be getting approved today
Stopped counting here as it would just make me feel even more nervous, so my advice is, you've done your part, now let them do their job and we'll get our permits soon hopefully.

Jojimiller

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
The website says they are processing June 6-12 applications right now :oops:
No the website said 80% of the application they processed in the past 8 weeks are applied in June 6-12. Due to the highly volume of application in May/ June graduation period, even if they are processing, say mid July, the data would still show that 80% of the finalised cases are from June, simply because it the amount of June is wayyy more than later applications. (At least this is my assumption) Also since many people said they applied in July and got approved in the past couple of weeks, I’m pretty confident they are mainly dealing with July applicants right now, some backlogs and maybe some lucky august applicants that are not on the forum.
The only takeaway from this data to me is that, if they are moving the processing week forward, it means that more applications that applied on after June 12 are being approved comparing to last week. If I recall correctly, a lot of applicants said they got approved are applied in mid July, so it a goods news for people who applied in late July/ august :)

scilla

May 6, 2021
The letter I received states the following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."
until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.

This means that if the date is before the decision then we can only work until the date

scilla

May 6, 2021
No the website said 80% of the application they processed in the past 8 weeks are applied in June 6-12. Due to the highly volume of application in May/ June graduation period, even if they are processing, say mid July, the data would still show that 80% of the finalised cases are from June, simply because it the amount of June is wayyy more than later applications. (At least this is my assumption) Also since many people said they applied in July and got approved in the past couple of weeks, I’m pretty confident they are mainly dealing with July applicants right now, some backlogs and maybe some lucky august applicants that are not on the forum.
The only takeaway from this data to me is that, if they are moving the processing week forward, it means that more applications that applied on after June 12 are being approved comparing to last week. If I recall correctly, a lot of applicants said they got approved are applied in mid July, so it a goods news for people who applied in late July/ august :)
Yeah I would think by now it would be faster not slower lol

Reactions: CAImmNotifyMe

MJ1992

Oct 20, 2021
until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.

This means that if the date is before the decision then we can only work until the date
I did not receive this letter (AoR) and I just received submission confirmation. Asked the call center 3 times and they said you are eligible to work until a decision is made.
(Applied for PGWP on July 29th)

Reactions: CAImmNotifyMe

scilla

May 6, 2021
Reactions: jlusi and MJ1992

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021

What's mentioned in the letter contradicts with what's mentioned in Pending decision on work permit renewal [R186(u)] – Authorization to work without a work permit: International Mobility Program - Canada.ca unless I misunderstood that.

Note: The extension of status by law (maintained status, previously known as implied status) under subsection R183(5) does not automatically authorize a temporary resident to continue working while their application for a renewal of their work permit is in progress. The temporary resident must also meet the requirements of paragraph R186(u) to continue working. Paragraph R186(u) applies only until a decision is made on the work permit renewal application.
Paragraph R186(u) allows foreign nationals to work without a permit if they (all must apply)

• applied to renew their work permit under section R201 before the original work permit expired
  • have remained in Canada (meaning they have not physically left)
  • continue to comply with the conditions set out on the expired work permit, other than the expiry date
Subsection R183(5) grants an extension of the period of authorized stay by operation of law, allowing a foreign national to maintain their temporary resident status. This was previously known as “implied status” and is now referred to as “maintained status.”

scilla

May 6, 2021
What's mentioned in the letter contradicts with what's mentioned in Pending decision on work permit renewal [R186(u)] – Authorization to work without a work permit: International Mobility Program - Canada.ca unless I misunderstood that.

Note: The extension of status by law (maintained status, previously known as implied status) under subsection R183(5) does not automatically authorize a temporary resident to continue working while their application for a renewal of their work permit is in progress. The temporary resident must also meet the requirements of paragraph R186(u) to continue working. Paragraph R186(u) applies only until a decision is made on the work permit renewal application.
Paragraph R186(u) allows foreign nationals to work without a permit if they (all must apply)

• applied to renew their work permit under section R201 before the original work permit expired
  • have remained in Canada (meaning they have not physically left)
  • continue to comply with the conditions set out on the expired work permit, other than the expiry date
Subsection R183(5) grants an extension of the period of authorized stay by operation of law, allowing a foreign national to maintain their temporary resident status. This was previously known as “implied status” and is now referred to as “maintained status.”
Are you use you are 186(u)? Mine says 186(w)

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Are you use you are 186(u)? Mine says 186(w)
Yeah, the message I posted earlier includes 186(u), but this little part "until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first." is confusing. I may need to discuss this with my employer to clarify this for me more or try to get hold of an IRCC agent to discuss this matter.

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah, the message I posted earlier includes 186(u), but this little part "until [WP_Expiry_Date]or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first." is confusing. I may need to discuss this with my employer to clarify this for me more or try to get hold of an IRCC agent to discuss this matter.
Please share what the IRCC officer says, I tried calling to inquire but since it wasn't an emergency because of Afghanistan crisis, I wasn't able to get through to one. I will stop working for sure when my date reaches, but I'm curious about what the IRCC says about it's contradictory messaging.