+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Vivek2020

Sep 25, 2019
Guys, I applied for PGWP on June 1st. No update yet. Status is submitted still. And i have received the authorization to work letter. But it says authorized to work upto Sep 29, 2021 or until a decision is made whichever is earlier. Im not sure what happens if it is not approved even after September 29. Do i need to stop working? Its confusing for the employer too.

manimtired

Aug 4, 2021
Guys, I applied for PGWP on June 1st. No update yet. Status is submitted still. And i have received the authorization to work letter. But it says authorized to work upto Sep 29, 2021 or until a decision is made whichever is earlier. Im not sure what happens if it is not approved even after September 29. Do i need to stop working? Its confusing for the employer too.
This should clear it up!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1507&top=15

Last edited:

Viney

Oct 5, 2017
I have completed my study on 29 july and applying for PGWP today.
My question is My Study permit is going to expire on 30th of September. If I don’t get my final result of PGWP then What I should do ? Should I leave country since my PGWP in process ?
Should I work equally to Work permit laws or under Study permit condition ( 20 hours/week)
Please guide

Leh98

Jul 19, 2021
I have completed my study on 29 july and applying for PGWP today.
My question is My Study permit is going to expire on 30th of September. If I don’t get my final result of PGWP then What I should do ? Should I leave country since my PGWP in process ?
Should I work equally to Work permit laws or under Study permit condition ( 20 hours/week)
Please guide
as long as you have applied for pgwp before your study permit expires then you have implied status and can work legally until a decision has been made

Dilpreet435

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Hey,this ones for my friend..
Timeline -
entered canada jan,2019 1 year course till oct 2019
Oct 20 2019 - applied for study permit extension (another 2 yrs course)
Classes starting(new course) - jan/6/2020
Left canada(family emergency) - jan 1 2020
Came back- 26/jan/2020
Original SP expiry date - jan 31 2020
Continued studying for new clg since jan 26.
SP extension approved —14/02/2020
Is there any problem that he continued his studies on implied status? +
Does missing out on first 2 weeks of classes effect pgwp application?
PS the eta and study permit wereexpiring on 31,jan , landed back on 24 jan , extension was already applied Before leaving canada. So basically his documents were still eligible when he came back which makes his on implied status after 31 jan.

andymro28

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
Hey,this ones for my friend..
Timeline -
entered canada jan,2019 1 year course till oct 2019
Oct 20 2019 - applied for study permit extension (another 2 yrs course)
Classes starting(new course) - jan/6/2020
Left canada(family emergency) - jan 1 2020
Came back- 26/jan/2020
Original SP expiry date - jan 31 2020
Continued studying for new clg since jan 26.
SP extension approved —14/02/2020
Is there any problem that he continued his studies on implied status? +
Does missing out on first 2 weeks of classes effect pgwp application?
PS the eta and study permit wereexpiring on 31,jan , landed back on 24 jan , extension was already applied Before leaving canada. So basically his documents were still eligible when he came back which makes his on implied status after 31 jan.
No there is no problem as long as he sent his application before his sp expired, he will maintain his status until a decision is made.

jarvisw

Sep 23, 2020
Do you always receive an authorization letter to work after applying for PGWP? I did not receive any of such besides the confirmation letter.
I didn't get it either but my application has already been approved last week. My friend who applied the same day as me got the WP-EXT letter and also got approved recently. Heard that they kind of sent the letter randomly (maybe there's a bug in their system).

Whether or not you get this letter does NOT affect your eligibility to start working after you submit your PGWP, AS LONG AS the application is submitted BEFORE your study permit expires and all other regular condition applies. For details check the IRCC website. The main takeaway: the WP-EXT letter DOES NOT matter.

andymro28

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
I didn't get it either but my application has already been approved last week. My friend who applied the same day as me got the WP-EXT letter and also got approved recently. Heard that they kind of sent the letter randomly (maybe there's a bug in their system).

Whether or not you get this letter does NOT affect your eligibility to start working after you submit your PGWP, AS LONG AS the application is submitted BEFORE your study permit expires and all other regular condition applies. For details check the IRCC website. The main takeaway: the WP-EXT letter DOES NOT matter.
When did you and your friend apply and when did you guys got approved?