+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

PillaresEXIMLLP

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
I'm waiting.. Applied on 29 Sep 2020, went to review in December second week, and then back to processing by December end. Now review has started on 18 March 2021.
same here applied on 29th September still waiting review of eligibility not started yet. I also had a visitor extension application in progress just got approved today

Mamta26

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
After talking to an agent, yes, apparently it is completely OK to continue working even if the PGWP was issued to the old passport as long as I apply for a PGWP extension (paper-based) 90-60 days before my current permit expires.
Hi, it’s too late to ask but how long did it take for you to receive your new PGWP ? I am asking because I applied with my son and his passport is going to expire soon and have to reapply for his visa.

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hi,
I have applied for a PGWP from inside Canada on Sep 5, 2020 (I did not need a biometric as my previous one is still valid). I did not have a job offer when I have applied for that (I know that it is not required but I guess maybe it helps to obtain it faster). I did not have any complications like a pause or part-time study during my education. I do not have any updates. I have filled a couple of Webforms but the answer was a generic answer that we are processing your application. Actually, I do not know what should I do and what to expect. The processing times seem much less than my case. Could you please recommend to me what should I do? Is that helpful to cancel this application and apply again? Is this processing time normal or rarely happens these days?
I appreciate your answers in advance.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi,
I have applied for a PGWP from inside Canada on Sep 5, 2020 (I did not need a biometric as my previous one is still valid). I did not have a job offer when I have applied for that (I know that it is not required but I guess maybe it helps to obtain it faster). I did not have any complications like a pause or part-time study during my education. I do not have any updates. I have filled a couple of Webforms but the answer was a generic answer that we are processing your application. Actually, I do not know what should I do and what to expect. The processing times seem much less than my case. Could you please recommend to me what should I do? Is that helpful to cancel this application and apply again? Is this processing time normal or rarely happens these days?
I appreciate your answers in advance.
You first need to get GCMS notes to figure out what is exactly happening. Delay since Sept 5 seems a very long time. Next get your MP involved. https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en Search for your local MP's.

If your case was straight forward this delay is unusual. Did you ever get a notification from IRCC that your file has been transferred to local visa office?

Reactions: Mae.Will

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
You first need to get GCMS notes to figure out what is exactly happening. Delay since Sept 5 seems a very long time. Next get your MP involved. https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en Search for your local MP's.

If your case was straight forward this delay is unusual. Did you ever get a notification from IRCC that your file has been transferred to local visa office?
First of all thank you for your response. Please let me know how to access GCMS notes, I have read somewhere that it takes 1 to 2 months to receive them which is too long. Re-application is a good idea or bad? Is that common that people ask their local MP's to help accelerate such kinds of processes? Do you have a sample letter to send them? Is that really helpful? I did not receive a notification that my file has been transferred to the local visa office.
I was a PhD student for about 3.5 years in engineering and I do not see any complication in my case. My husband has studied the same as me and applied just 1 month sooner than me, he had a job offer at that time. He has received his work permit on about Nov 20 (in about 3.5 months, while for me it is 7 months till now...). Do you know that normally what could be the reason behind such lengthened processing time in cases like me?

Thanks for your time and answers,

Last edited:

Exotic

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
First of all thank you for your response. Please let me know how to access GCMS notes, I have read somewhere that it takes 1 to 2 months to receive them which is too long. Re-application is a good idea or bad? Is that common that people ask their local MP's to help accelerate such kinds of processes? Do you have a sample letter to send them? Is that really helpful? I did not receive a notification that my file has been transferred to the local visa office.
I was a PhD student for about 3.5 years in engineering and I do not see any complication in my case. My husband has studied the same as me and applied just 1 month sooner than me, he had a job offer at that time. He has received his work permit on about Nov 20 (in about 3.5 months, while for me it is 7 months till now...). Do you know that normally what could be the reason behind such lengthened processing time in cases like me?

Hey, in this case I also contacted local MP. Just search online MP of your area and then give them a call or send an email. They usually get back within in a week.

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hey, in this case I also contacted local MP. Just search online MP of your area and then give them a call or send an email. They usually get back within in a week.
Hi,
Thank you for your answer. Could you please tell me more detail about contacting the MP and your experience? how does it work? do they call CIC and ask for more detail on the application? How long did it take to get approval after contacting the MP?

Exotic

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
Hi,
Thank you for your answer. Could you please tell me more detail about contacting the MP and your experience? how does it work? do they call CIC and ask for more detail on the application? How long did it take to get approval after contacting the MP?
Hey, it was a different case this side. I got a refusal and then applied for reconsideration so I contacted MP office to check the status of consideration. Now, you can either call the office or send them an email (if they do not pick your call). In the email, include your Full name, address, Date of birth, contact number, UCI number and your application number. Once MP office receives your call/ email, they will let you know how much time it will take for them to get back to you.

Hope this helps!

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

GCMS info below:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-gcms-notes-step-by-step-process.513893/

MP's are to serve the public, and yes they will help inquire on your behalf. Usually when they inquire, they get a better response through their respective representative inside IRCC. You cannot re-apply, since you've already passed 180 days I believe?
Have you ever called the client support center ? Telephone: 1-888-242-2100?

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
GCMS info below:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-gcms-notes-step-by-step-process.513893/

MP's are to serve the public, and yes they will help inquire on your behalf. Usually when they inquire, they get a better response through their respective representative inside IRCC. You cannot re-apply, since you've already passed 180 days I believe?
Have you ever called the client support center ? Telephone: 1-888-242-2100?
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I am preparing a letter to send to my local MP. I am going to ask for the GCMS notes, as well. I have passed 180 days (it is about 200 days now). 180 days is a criterion for what? my study permit has expired about 4.5 months ago, do you think that I cannot re-apply?
I am going to call them, as well. Just a question, if my MP follows my application with IRCC and I call them just before that, is it bothering for the officers in IRCC as I know they are very busy (however my situation is very annoying, as well), I mean is that too much follow-up for them?
One of the forum members (MR12) has told that after a couple of times calling with IRCC without a helpful response, finally in the last call (at 8th month) the responder has put a 1-month deadline for the officer to process his application. He has approved in the 9th month.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-for-only-phd-graduates.673326/page-2
I do not know how can I ask for such thing in my call. Do you have any idea?

Regards,

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hey, it was a different case this side. I got a refusal and then applied for reconsideration so I contacted MP office to check the status of consideration. Now, you can either call the office or send them an email (if they do not pick your call). In the email, include your Full name, address, Date of birth, contact number, UCI number and your application number. Once MP office receives your call/ email, they will let you know how much time it will take for them to get back to you.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much. I am going to send my local MP a letter.

Reactions: Exotic

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I am preparing a letter to send to my local MP. I am going to ask for the GCMS notes, as well. I have passed 180 days (it is about 200 days now). 180 days is a criterion for what? my study permit has expired about 4.5 months ago, do you think that I cannot re-apply?
I am going to call them, as well. Just a question, if my MP follows my application with IRCC and I call them just before that, is it bothering for the officers in IRCC as I know they are very busy (however my situation is very annoying, as well), I mean is that too much follow-up for them?
One of the forum members (MR12) has told that after a couple of times calling with IRCC without a helpful response, finally in the last call (at 8th month) the responder has put a 1-month deadline for the officer to process his application. He has approved in the 9th month.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-for-only-phd-graduates.673326/page-2
I do not know how can I ask for such thing in my call. Do you have any idea?

Regards,

You cannot re-apply now since the days have passed. You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

If you notice, his application was transferred to a local office, usually that's what happens when a file is delayed for more than 4-5 months.
Not sure why his app was sent to a local office, but it could be for any reason.
Lately there were some files transferred, usually happens when a senior officer needs to review it. Your status hasn't changed at all which is kinda surprising.

When you call IRCC, 1-888-242-2100, they will let you know exact detail of your file and what's happening.
Your first step is to call and ask, keep trying to call till you get connected to an agent !
When I applied for my SP extension I used to call that number maybe even 10 times in a span of 5 mins, just to be in line. You can also request a call back I believe.

Second and third steps are for GCMs notes and getting your MP involved. GCMS notes show exactly what's happening with your file and every movement since the date you applied.
There is no issue in calling in to check, IRCC call center agents are providing a service, and you are the client !
Keep me updated.

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
You cannot re-apply now since the days have passed. You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

If you notice, his application was transferred to a local office, usually that's what happens when a file is delayed for more than 4-5 months.
Not sure why his app was sent to a local office, but it could be for any reason.
Lately there were some files transferred, usually happens when a senior officer needs to review it. Your status hasn't changed at all which is kinda surprising.

When you call IRCC, 1-888-242-2100, they will let you know exact detail of your file and what's happening.
Your first step is to call and ask, keep trying to call till you get connected to an agent !
When I applied for my SP extension I used to call that number maybe even 10 times in a span of 5 mins, just to be in line. You can also request a call back I believe.

Second and third steps are for GCMs notes and getting your MP involved. GCMS notes show exactly what's happening with your file and every movement since the date you applied.
There is no issue in calling in to check, IRCC call center agents are providing a service, and you are the client !
Keep me updated.
I appreciate your help. I am going for all options that you have recommended. I will inform you about the results.

Reactions: captainarabiia