+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

pulkitgaur22

Aug 3, 2019
Hi All,

I had completed my one year of studies and applied for post graduate work permit on 31 August 2020, my student visa is valid till 31July 2021. Due to some personal reasons I have to go to india when I tried to come back I was denied the entry and told I will be able to return to canada when i get work permit.

I want to know till what date of application is the work permit issued. What is the probable date of my visa to get approved? I am in india now. Also can you please let me what are next steps after getting approval and how long it is going to take?

~ Nancy P
Did they deny the entry to you on the Indian or Canadian airport?

It should be approved in next 2 weeks. The permit will be delivered to your Canadian address in 7-10 days after that.

Laskog

Nov 6, 2020
Indian Airport
I’m in the same situation. I came back home in July and tried to return to Canada in October and could not get on the plane. I applied for my work permit June 5 and I’m still waiting for a response. Hopefully we hear back soon. All we can do now is wait.

Wop

Aug 19, 2020
Applied on August 2...inland from Quebec CIty...got approved today!

Just be patient guys and I pray for the waiting candidates that they may soon get their PGWP. This forum helped me a lot to follow the updates.

colonel4

Oct 1, 2020
They updated the processing times, it's 137 days now.
Officially it corresponds to June 29, which should be the average among agents.

mikefox299

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Just out of curiosity, does the PGWP status change at all in the GC account like it does with the PR application, or is it only updated once it's issued/rejected?

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Just out of curiosity, does the PGWP status change at all in the GC account like it does with the PR application, or is it only updated once it's issued/rejected?
It's only updated when they start to review your eligibility and issue you the biometric correspondence letter, but that's usually only 0-1 day before the permit is issued

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
I also want to do the exact same thing. From my research, it seems that you can't apply for a new TRV without a valid study permit or work permit. So you cannot apply for it when you are on implied status. If someone has any experience with regards to this, it would be valuable to know. Thanks in advance!

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Indian Airport
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

According to this link, you can return to Canada as a student, as your study permit is valid for 90 days from the date you graduated. Even after the expiry of your study permit, you can return to Canada as a visitor when your PGWP is being processed, as long as your TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) is valid. Look at the visa stamp on your passport to know the expiry of your TRV. As your study permit was valid until 31July 2021, it is highly likely that your TRV is also valid till the same date.