+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Mann Sandhu

Star Member
May 27, 2018
My sin expired on 30 September but at that time I was working but now I lost my job so now I can't work without sin, Can I apply for EI or something else ? I tried that too but I can't apply without valid sin when I enter my sin number there its showing error. Its very difficult without having valid sin

Lily.I

Oct 22, 2020
If you find work before your SIN expires, you can keep working even with an expired SIN.
If you can't find work before the expiration date, then you have to wait for your PGWP to renew you SIN, as employers can't put an expired SIN in the system.
Yes, I started working early this month. I guess my director doesn't know about this like I didn't. She suggested me that I should reapply, but the confirmation number couldn't be considered as the real PGWP. Thank you for your prompt reply!

pj20000001

Jul 23, 2020
Received approval for 3 years pgwp. Applied 28th May, Approved on 19th Oct, No biometrics, inland application. Applied from Vancouver. Hope everyone gets their approval soon.

The following is going to be a letter of explanation I submitted along with my application. Keyword of my situation: part time semester in one and only one required semester, parttime, part-time, fulltime status, full-time status. I wrote the words like these just for the people in the future be able to search my comment.

Context: I started my university as a transferred student from college in 2015 Spring, because Spring is a hot semester for students to be in school, and because the enrollment system in my university, my enrollment date was fairly late. Eventually I was only able to got 2 courses while having 2 courses on waitlist(2 courses on waitlist is the maximum number of course to be waitlisting in my school). In my school, Spring and Fall are the required term, while summer can be considered a regular break.(So which term is a required term to be full time is depending on how your university define "full-time" status). Other than this semester, I was always full time(but I did take 2017 Summer off which is fine). So my letter of explanation is all about explaining why I was being part-time in Spring 2015. While enrolling courses for Spring 2015, I tried to change my entire schedule at that time to avoid being part-time. Overall, I did not blame anyone but myself for not being able to maintain a full-time status. I also learned from this incident to make backup plans for enrollment.

Content of the letter: Sincere wording, not too wordy. Mine was one page only with some formatting. My school was allowing students to retrieve their enrollment record, so I ask them for it, which acts as a supplementary document that shows that I tried not to be part-time as the position of the waitlisting courses I was in at that time was fairly close to get me to enroll and I did not drop them at all. Throughout the letter, I blamed no one because I know this is my own fault. I focus on telling what I learned from this incident(indeed this was a lesson to me) and what I have been doing to prevent myself from being a part-time status again in the past few years.

Just to share my experience here. Wish everyone gets what they want eventually. Cheers.

Edit: My experience I shared here may not be applicable to everyone, whatever I have said here only represents my own situation. Just to be clear here.

Last edited:
Reactions: iiifan and softmcl

nahossai

Oct 13, 2020
Applied June 2nd from Alberta. Got approved on October 22nd.
Did not receive any updates or anything, so I have no idea when the review started.
I was checking my application randomly and I found that I got approved!!!!

Thank you everyone for keeping me sane with your updates over the past few months.