+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Was it not your study permit expiring? We're about 3 months from the end of classes, which is the usual expiration date for them, right?

ianrachkov

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
Hi All,

I applied my PGWP on 7the feb and got my biometrics done on 12th feb. I received an update on my application that my application has been transferred to Canada immigration centre in Etibicoke on 9th may and since then I haven’t received any update and the online status shows that “we are reviewing if you meet the eligibility requirements” . I have submitted multiple web forms and all that they reply is due to Covid situation applications are delayed and your application is still in progress. Can anybody please suggest what should i do?

Thanks,
Tarun
Call them. I applied the 7th february with no biometrics and I got accepted the 5th august. They approved me the same day as when I called.

Reactions: dillym

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
Friends,

I recently graduated and I have applied for my PGWP. I have a full time offer from a company and they require me to provide my hard copy of the work permit. I explained to HR that I am eligible to work while I am waiting for approval of my WP. But HR said unless I provide them the hard copy I won't be able to join. How can I explain this to HR? Has anyone faced a similar issue? Any suggestions please, I do not want to loose this job

pj20000001

Jul 23, 2020
Friends,

I recently graduated and I have applied for my PGWP. I have a full time offer from a company and they require me to provide my hard copy of the work permit. I explained to HR that I am eligible to work while I am waiting for approval of my WP. But HR said unless I provide them the hard copy I won't be able to join. How can I explain this to HR? Has anyone faced a similar issue? Any suggestions please, I do not want to loose this job
I will give you my 2 cents about your situations because I was anticipating such thing may happen to myself so I did not submit any job applications since I graduated in May: I would say it is difficult to talk down the HR to hold on to your offer because most companies would not be able to keep a hold on an offer for very long and not to mention that they may have other candidates("second choice" so to speak) that can fit in the position. Besides, no one can tell what the exact date their PGWP gets approved.

If I were you, I would honestly tell the HR about the fact that you do not have the date of when will the work permit gets approved(because I would still want to have a good image in the HR's head), and ask if the HR can pull my name off the list of "applied candidate" so that I can submit my resume to this company after I got my work permit instead of being blocked by their HR system for several months(big companies tend to do this to prevent people frequently applying).

Wop

Aug 19, 2020
Friends,

They should agree if you send them the letter issued by IRCC when you submitted your form. Many organization are chill with implied status and they do not wait for you to show them the approved work permit letter. Again, depends on company to company.

Greentealatte

May 30, 2019
Friends,

Unfortunately, you will have to deal with them.
In my friend case, because she couldnt renew her sin number while waiting the pgwp paper, they cancelled her job offer.
(Because in their payroll system, it does not accept her expired sin number)
She contacted CRA and IRCC, but none of them took care her situation.
That's why there is a huge paradox what IRCC says that you can work while waiting for the decision,
but once their sin number expires, there is no way you can do it.

Human resources and small companies do not want to wait and they want solid evidence, which will highly cancel the offer.

zhenqiz

Star Member
Jun 16, 2016
Friends,

I was facing exactly the same situation but now I'm working without any problem.
However, it also took me quite tons of efforts to explain to HR persons about the policy and regulation and finally they took it.
First of all, you are eligible to work. BUT, it is totally up to the company if they can accept you with or without WP. So argue with evidence, explain the regulations