+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

momstudent87

Nov 17, 2016
In last 5 months, did any PhD graduates apply for PGWP? any of you got approval ?
Could you please share your timeline
. Some of PhD graduates, who applied in Aug still didnot get any update on their PGWP.
I finished my Ph.D. program in October, applied the 16 of that month and got my approval letter the 13 of this month. Still haven't received the work permit on mail though.

Did you send an official transcript? I realized after applying that submitting a non-official transcript may delay my application so, I submitted an oficial one in November.

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017

MR12

Aug 26, 2019
I finished my Ph.D. program in October, applied the 16 of that month and got my approval letter the 13 of this month. Still haven't received the work permit on mail though.

Did you send an official transcript? I realized after applying that submitting a non-official transcript may delay my application so, I submitted an oficial one in November.
Thank you for response. I did upload official transcripts, which I got from register office.

STAYDOGGED

Star Member
Jul 19, 2016
They say my file has been forwarded to find more infos , what do you think that means ? Does that happen often?
Have you gotten a response yet??? I made the same mistake as you and I was refused. I am back home now waiting for a response to my second pplication. When does your 180days come into effect? if its near you might want to withdraw your application and reapply from home asap.

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Online , i called then today they said they are still processing. And my 180days period will come to end on on 19th February. So for some reason if they refuse after q9th of feb i won't be eligible for to reapply in pgwp. Though my study permit has validity till march 31st but i am still worried. Do u guys think i should withdraw my file and go for flag pole before 180days expires?
That's taking so long to process your permit. They've already approved Nov 2nd applicants based from the previous comment in this thread. How come your student permit is valid until March 31, were you given more than a year of valid permit? Don't withdraw it, you've been waiting for it for more than 4 months now, not a good idea to withdraw and do flagpole just for the sake of faster approval. Read previous comments about flagpoling, I heard that they're not approving PGWP permits anymore.

I've been waiting for my permit for almost 4 months now after I got refused for the 2nd time. I'm over 180 days of student permit and has expired SP since July and I'm still here... praying to get my PGWP approved soon. Don't lose hope. :)

MrStark252

Feb 3, 2020
I applied for pgwp in 11th sept but still no update, i called them and they mentioned my file was transfered to etobicko ircc centre. Its been 4month and 19 days running. Anyone facing aimilar delays?
Yeah I am having the same issue. Got a message saying that the file has been transferred to Etobicoke office.

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
Wondering if you folks could shed some knowledge on this situation.

Applied for my PGWP on the 15th of January, after finishing a 5 year co-op program here in Canada.

Got my biometric request on the 16th of January, asking me to provide biometric data for further processing.

Provided biometrics on the 27th of January, at passport Canada office which is a valid location to provide biometrics.

After providing my biometrics, I was told that everything is done and was provided with a sticker and a biometric ID.

Now, I don't see any update on MyCIC portal even though it's been a week. I've already provided by biometrics, but it says that "action is required" and the biometrics column on the portal is empty. J

Just wondering if this is normal and expected with a PGWP application?

k.karina

Feb 6, 2020
Hi guys

Having problems with my PGWP now.. wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following situation

I finished school in December, 2019, study permit and visa expired on December 31, 2019. I applied for study permit extension on December 29th, 2019 (before it expired). Got my official transcript and letter from university on January 29, 2020. Applied for PGWP on February 5, 2020 along with a letter of explanation why I am applying for PGWP while being on implied status where I referred to my Study Permit Extension Application.

Is everything correct here? As far as I know I don't need valid study permit when applying for PGWP, I called CIC 100500 times but never got any useful info from them.

Would appreciate any help!

STAYDOGGED

Star Member
Jul 19, 2016
Hi guys

Having problems with my PGWP now.. wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following situation

I finished school in December, 2019, study permit and visa expired on December 31, 2019. I applied for study permit extension on December 29th, 2019 (before it expired). Got my official transcript and letter from university on January 29, 2020. Applied for PGWP on February 5, 2020 along with a letter of explanation why I am applying for PGWP while being on implied status where I referred to my Study Permit Extension Application.

Is everything correct here? As far as I know I don't need valid study permit when applying for PGWP, I called CIC 100500 times but never got any useful info from them.

Would appreciate any help!
You do not need a study permit at time of application; you need a valid status. Its hard to call as CIC adjudges eligibility based on conditions set out in IRCC and it doesnt seem that you will meet the eligibility requirement as you didnt have a valid status at the time of applying for the PGWP.
Implied status doesnt fall under this.

If your study permit expires before pgwp, you either get a visitors visa or leave the country to apply.