+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hi... Do you live in Ontario ??
Hi ,
Yes. I live in Dryden.
I am waiting for my official letter as I have a job offer and they gave me only this week to submit my official letter otherwise they will go ahead and hire someone else!

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Thanks

Lovelorn

Apr 7, 2013
Help, urgent !!!!!!!!

I applied for a PGWP on July, 19, 2017 following my graduation with a 4-year Honours Bachelor's Degree. I applied as late as the 19th of July, because I found out that my passport was to be expired on the 30th of September, 2017. I applied for a renewal of my passport in my home country embassy, but it was taking longer than usual for some unforeseen reason. I then found out that I will lose my eligibility if I didn't apply within 90 days of confirmation of graduation.

I applied for my PGWP on July, 19, 2017 with my old passport- before getting my new one at hand. Now, I am in possession of my new passport which will expire on 18 July, 2022. Considering the current rate of processing time for PGWP (76 days), I am doubtful to be receiving my PGWP before 30 September, 2017 (my old passport validity). Even if I get my pgwp, I might get a permit for 4-5 days. At the same time, I became aware that I have to apply for an extension. I have two questions under my critical circumstances:

a) Can I apply for an extension with the new passport before my current PGWP is processed? I am thinking of doing so before my study permit expires (31, August, 2017)

b) I have very recently been offered a job as well. I am aware that, by law, I can stay in Canada before a decision is made on my PGWP. However, am I allowed to work on 'implied status' after my study permit (and conjoined work permit) expires on the 31st of August, 2017 before my case is decided on by CIC?

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

medeirosln

Jul 5, 2017
I think you can update your application and add
Hi.... I have a question for my sister...
She was in Canada on 1 year study permit and has now completed 1 year post graduation program. Now she has got admitted to another 1 year post grad program.

After completing 2 post grad prog (1 year each), will she be eligible for 3 year PGWP? There was no gap between completing of 1 year program and starting another one.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,
Help, urgent !!!!!!!!

I applied for a PGWP on July, 19, 2017 following my graduation with a 4-year Honours Bachelor's Degree. I applied as late as the 19th of July, because I found out that my passport was to be expired on the 30th of September, 2017. I applied for a renewal of my passport in my home country embassy, but it was taking longer than usual for some unforeseen reason. I then found out that I will lose my eligibility if I didn't apply within 90 days of confirmation of graduation.

I applied for my PGWP on July, 19, 2017 with my old passport- before getting my new one at hand. Now, I am in possession of my new passport which will expire on 18 July, 2022. Considering the current rate of processing time for PGWP (76 days), I am doubtful to be receiving my PGWP before 30 September, 2017 (my old passport validity). Even if I get my pgwp, I might get a permit for 4-5 days. At the same time, I became aware that I have to apply for an extension. I have two questions under my critical circumstances:

a) Can I apply for an extension with the new passport before my current PGWP is processed? I am thinking of doing so before my study permit expires (31, August, 2017)

b) I have very recently been offered a job as well. I am aware that, by law, I can stay in Canada before a decision is made on my PGWP. However, am I allowed to work on 'implied status' after my study permit (and conjoined work permit) expires on the 31st of August, 2017 before my case is decided on by CIC?

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you!
You can try to use this form to inform them that you have a new passaport. It doesn't hurt trying right?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp#q2

IND_CAD

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hi ,
Yes. I live in Dryden.
I am waiting for my official letter as I have a job offer and they gave me only this week to submit my official letter otherwise they will go ahead and hire someone else!

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Thanks

HI Cherrypaul

I was digging for information about this, All PGWP & Study permits sent from CIC (ALBERTA office) 6212-55 Avenue, Vegreville, AB (T9C 1W5).
when i called CIC helpline yesterday ,representative told me that the permit will be dropped at CANADA POST on the same day you get approved.

As per canada post Delivery times""mails delivered within 2 business days within a city, in 3 business days within a province, and in 4 business days nationally .""

So based on this i used "CANADA POST Delivery tracker " to guess how long does it take to reach me... To know about your address please click on provided " CANADA POST Delivery" link

https://www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/ds/default.aspx?LOCALE=en&ecid=murl08002548

1. Enter your Alberta office postal code : T9C 1W5
Destination postal code: Enter your postal code

You could see now how long does it take to reach you... This is just approximation not final but for some people it takes 5-10 business days based on number of mails and location..... Hope this help for people in this thread. Thanks

Last edited:

Kaur0185

Jan 1, 2017
Hey folks,

I applied on June 1, got an update on August 16, and got approved shortly after on August 16.

Those that got approved, how soon did you get the actual permit by mail? How long did it take after your status changed to "Approved" online?

Also, anyone knows if you have to send your original passport to CIC when applying for TRV? Doesn't sound right to me.

~ Cheers
hey,
I have also applied for my TRV but I did not get the application number yet. I applied on 18 of August.
same with you if you applied????

Lovelorn

Apr 7, 2013
I think you can update your application and add

You can try to use this form to inform them that you have a new passaport. It doesn't hurt trying right?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp#q2
Thank you for the suggestion. I did use the form to upload the new passport already; no response as of yet. I talked to a CIC agent this morning. It seemed there might be a chance for my new passport to be considered as part of the old application. She was diplomatic in giving a clear answer, but like you said- it doesn't hurt trying.

Reactions: medeirosln

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018
Is there anyone who applied on paper? :oops::(

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018

Mohammad216

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
Hi,
Im just accepted in mcmaster university 1 year masters program. I want to know after completing the 1 year masters can i extend my study permit and do another diploma of 6 months so how much extension i will get in PGWp

Mohammad216

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
Hay guys, I got my work permit approval email today ..march 30th.
I studied 1 year graduate certificate and a normal trade certificate(i extended my study permit for this) and got the permit for 3 years.
My name was given twice on work permit(like steyn smith steyn smith) as i have given the name again on the last name, because i don't have a last name on passport.Do u guys know how to change name on it?Hope it won't create any problems in future
I took a 3 months break between courses and did not worked on sin.
Thank u all :)
Hi can you please explain. Im studying at mcmaster masters program 1 year. After completing it what should i do. Should i apply for a diploma of 6 month or something to make into 16 months overlal to get 2 to 3 years PGWP