+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

XBOX7

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Hi.... I have a question for my sister...
She was in Canada on 1 year study permit and has now completed 1 year post graduation program. Now she has got admitted to another 1 year post grad program.

After completing 2 post grad prog (1 year each), will she be eligible for 3 year PGWP? There was no gap between completing of 1 year program and starting another one.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Applied June 9th and got approved August 21st.
Has anyone received a PDF letter under messages in their mycic account which says that the PGWP has been approved? My status has changed to approved but there's no letter.

IND_CAD

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Applied June 9th and got approved August 21st.
Has anyone received a PDF letter under messages in their mycic account which says that the PGWP has been approved? My status has changed to approved but there's no letter.
My case was same as you but i just checked my account and received pdf letter under Approved message. I think you will get by end of the day or tomorrow.

IND_CAD

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hi.... I have a question for my sister...
She was in Canada on 1 year study permit and has now completed 1 year post graduation program. Now she has got admitted to another 1 year post grad program.

After completing 2 post grad prog (1 year each), will she be eligible for 3 year PGWP? There was no gap between completing of 1 year program and starting another one.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,
It depends on visa officer some people get 16 months and some get 3 years. My advice is take 4 months summer break between semester, so it will be counted as 20 Months. As per CIC website more than 16 Months are consider as 2 years degree which is eligible 3 years work permit.

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Hi guys,

I just applied for PGWP online and submitted all the "required documents". I recently saw a post here where someone claimed that the "document checklist" IMM5583 needs to be uploaded as "letter of explanation". Is that true? I didn't see IMM5583 as a "required document" on my application and hence did not submit it.

Please reply if you can help. This is really confusing, do I need to withdraw and reapply with document checklist?

Thanks!

Lovelorn

Apr 7, 2013
I applied for a PGWP on July, 19, 2017 following my graduation with a 4-year Honours Bachelor's Degree. I applied as late as the 19th of July, because I found out that my passport was to be expired on the 30th of September, 2017. I applied for a renewal of my passport in my home country embassy, but it was taking longer than usual for some unforeseen reason. I then found out that I will lose my eligibility if I didn't apply within 90 days of confirmation of graduation.

I applied for my PGWP on July, 19, 2017 with my old passport- before getting my new one at hand. Now, I am in possession of my new passport which will expire on 18 July, 2022. Considering the current rate of processing time for PGWP (76 days), I am doubtful to be receiving my PGWP before 30 September, 2017 (my old passport validity). Even if I get my pgwp, I might get a permit for 4-5 days. At the same time, I became aware that I have to apply for an extension. I have two questions under my critical circumstances:

a) Can I apply for an extension with the new passport before my current PGWP is processed? I am thinking of doing so before my study permit expires (31, August, 2017)

b) I have very recently been offered a job as well. I am aware that, by law, I can stay in Canada before a decision is made on my PGWP. However, am I allowed to work on 'implied status' after my study permit (and conjoined work permit) expires on the 31st of August, 2017 before my case is decided on by CIC?

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Lovelorn

Apr 7, 2013
Hi guys,

I just applied for PGWP online and submitted all the "required documents". I recently saw a post here where someone claimed that the "document checklist" IMM5583 needs to be uploaded as "letter of explanation". Is that true? I didn't see IMM5583 as a "required document" on my application and hence did not submit it.

Please reply if you can help. This is really confusing, do I need to withdraw and reapply with document checklist?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about that IMM5583 as "letter of explanation" anecdote you heard about, because it is untrue.

If I were you, I would worry about applying so late as August 22 (assuming you graduated last Winter- April/May). There is a 90-day rule- that you need to apply within 90 days of finishing your study.

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
I wouldn't worry about that IMM5583 as "letter of explanation" anecdote you heard about, because it is untrue.

If I were you, I would worry about applying so late as August 22 (assuming you graduated last Winter- April/May). There is a 90-day rule- that you need to apply within 90 days of finishing your study.
Thank you so much for the reply. I met my degree requirements in August!

canaman55

Aug 22, 2017
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Letter of explanation is an optional document.