+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

lamen22

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
So I tried to call the phone number provided in this thread and after going through the menu for more than 5 minutes, I finally got to the option that said "to talk to an agent, press 0", but then it just said that all agents were busy and that I can try later. I've called 6 times since yesterday and still have the same result.

I tried to go to a Service Canada office in Hamilton. They said didn't process work permits and sent me to the Hamilton airport to try luck. At the airport, they told me they only processed applications for people coming to Canada, so they sent me to a CIC office in Hamilton downtown. At Hamilton downtown, they told me they only processed refugees' inquiries and advised me to call the same phone number I've trying to call since yesterday.

I explained this to my employer and they're not very happy. My letter expires next week and I'm concerned I may lose my job.

Any other advice? Contacting IRCC is definitely not an option. I was thinking if I should submit a new work permit request to get the automatic letter for 120 more days. That should work, but I don't know if that would get me in trouble in the future and I have already submitted my application for the PGWP.
Dont submit a new work permit application, submit a webform requesting an extension of the letter you received. IRCC should have no problem providing you with one.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
You can work legally and your employer needs to understand that.
Refer R186 (w)
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-186.html

In addition to that, IRCC has been working hard to approve Work Permits and people from May 7 and May 8 have also started receiving approvals. I received mine yesterday (applied May 5). So, I think, you should get yours soon too.
Thanks, I was trying to find something that specifically mentioned students. Paragraph (w) seems to be what I was looking for. I sent this to the HR manager, I'll wait to see what they say. Thanks again for your help.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Dont submit a new work permit application, submit a webform requesting an extension of the letter you received. IRCC should have no problem providing you with one.
How long would it take them to reply to a web form? I know they usually take long and I only have until next week. I may give it a try though. Thanks!

GoOfy_4485

Sep 5, 2022
Applied on April 19 still waiting, a friend's pgwp got approved few weeks ago. Both applied on same day, I guess my application is taking time because of medical exam which I had to take due to my profession. Right now they have exempted medical exams for inland applications.

ipkylie

Sep 29, 2021
How long would it take them to reply to a web form? I know they usually take long and I only have until next week. I may give it a try though. Thanks!
I would say call them, the agent can assist you immediately. I got a problem on my work permit, I phoned them instead of sending webform.
They sent a message to my responsible officer immediately.

GoOfy_4485

Sep 5, 2022
Any recent approval?

Guys do not try calling IRCC if your application has not passed the processing time, it would be waste of time and energy. I was trying to call them from Monday, luckily I was able to talk with an agent today who just advise me to call again if I don't see any update until 166 days of my application submission date and they will escalate it. For the Authorization letter he informed me that I can work even if the date has passed, and the letter also says that you can work "Until a decision is made on your application". So don't waste your time guys. It won't help. I have submitted Webform as well but no reply on that one yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sissyyy and ndoan95

Wendynuel

Jan 7, 2022
Hi,

Does anyone have update on SOWP applications? My application has been pending since March 18. Any information on SOWP status will be appreciated.

Thank you
A quick update, thanks to everyone that provided useful information.

I am happy to confirm that my application has been approved. See details below

Applied for SOWP - March 18, 2022
Approved - September 8, 2022

I sent several web forms, requested for GCMS notes and also spoke with the MP representative for my community. I called IRCC on Tuesday, 6th September and the customer service representative mentioned that they were still reviewing the files for March 15. I believe a lot of March and April requests will be treated this month.

I wish you all positive and speedy response.

banff__

Sep 11, 2022
Any recent approval?

Guys do not try calling IRCC if your application has not passed the processing time, it would be waste of time and energy. I was trying to call them from Monday, luckily I was able to talk with an agent today who just advise me to call again if I don't see any update until 166 days of my application submission date and they will escalate it. For the Authorization letter he informed me that I can work even if the date has passed, and the letter also says that you can work "Until a decision is made on your application". So don't waste your time guys. It won't help. I have submitted Webform as well but no reply on that one yet!

Hey- my letter says "you can work till XXX or until a decision has been made, whichever comes first".

Doesn't 'whichever comes first' mean that if they haven't decided till my date is passed then I must cease working? Someone pls help this is causing me sooo much anxiety.

Reactions: ashucan