+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

I can finally tell my story now:

My study permit was expired on August 03,2019 And I received my completion letter from the university on August 05,2019 hence because of being two days late I lost my status and I couldn’t apply online or do the flagpole..

Here started my journey of figuring out the right process of restoring the status and applying for PGWP ..spoke with many cic agents / former applicants and immigration help associations and came to a conclusion that I would apply for restoration as a worker + PGWP and hence paid $455 in total which includes $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit and submitted my application on August 15 as a paper application with all documents and explanation ..

Everything was good except for that the processing time for restoration is unknown and after 3 months were passed I contacted cic almost every week with no insight on my file and the only answer was to wait .. Reached out to the Edmonton office MP and Montreal office MP Who helped in querying the IRCC about my file as well..

Finally on Monday, IRCC said that I applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as I can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status..this situation left me helpless as I would be finishing my 180 days on February 01 but luckily they didn’t reject the application and on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150.. Paid that and was having my fingers crossed.

I have been without status for over 5 months ...without health insurance..without being able to work or leave the country ... but FINALLY today they sent email saying both the applications have been approved and will be mailed to me.. so now just waiting for my PGWP to arrive in post...

Any questions please don’t hesitates to reach out to me and Good luck everyone..:)

Last edited:

MR12

Aug 26, 2019
Hi,

My study permit was expired on August 03,2019 And I received my completion letter from the university on August 05,2019 hence because of being two days late I lost my status and I couldn’t apply online or do the flagpole..

Here started my journey of figuring out the right process of restoring the status and applying for PGWP ..spoke with many cic agents / former applicants and immigration help associations and came to a conclusion that I would apply for restoration as a worker + PGWP and hence paid $455 in total which includes $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit and submitted my application on August 15 as a paper application with all documents and explanation ..

Everything was good except for that the processing time for restoration is unknown and after 3 months were passed I contacted cic almost every week with no insight on my file and the only answer was to wait .. Reached out to the Edmonton office MP and Montreal office MP Who helped in querying the IRCC about my file as well..

Finally on Monday, IRCC said that I applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as I can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status..this situation left me helpless as I would be finishing my 180 days on February 01 but luckily they didn’t reject the application and on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150.. Paid that and was having my fingers crossed.

I have been without status for over 5 months ...without health insurance..without being able to work or leave the country ... but FINALLY today they sent email saying both the applications have been approved and will be mailed to me.. so now just waiting for my PGWP to arrive in post...

Any questions please don’t hesitates to reach out to me and Good luck everyone..:)
Thanks for sharing your story, this could help others. I wish you good luck on application.
My case is strange, no body has right answer for me (PhD graduate), I applied in Aug last week, still has no update from IRCC. It has been almost 5 months.

MR12

Aug 26, 2019
Hi guys! Finally, we have our visas approved! my husband's PGWP and mine (spouse)

Applied on: Oct 28
Processed on: Jan 22
Approved on: Jan 22
Province: ON

Good luck everybody!
Hi
Quick question, did you apply together (PGWP for your spouse and work permit extension for you)?, is your spouse applied for PGWP after Masters / PhD ?
I applied PGWP in Aug I didnot get any update on mine so far from IRCC. My spouse application submitted in Oct 29 for work permit extension, fingers crossed!.

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Yes when I made my second application when my sp was expired, and I made the application online. Do you have any update?
I wonder why did the lawyer think of applying by mail if it was possible to apply online with an expired SP without any error. Anyway, I still don't have any update about it.. I can wait a week or two more before I call them as long as it gets approved this time

Last edited:

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for sharing! We have the exact same situation.. I paid additional $150 too and submitted it through webform so they won't have to ask for it anymore. What date did you apply again? It'll be my 4th month of waiting on Feb 8.

Chrisstina

Sep 14, 2018
Hi,

Congratulations and really hats off for your struggle and patience. You have done a unique work by sharing your experience which is now becae history and guiding lines /help for the future students who will face such problem.

mm78

Star Member
Aug 18, 2019
Please help guys. my wife is on open work permit (valid till Sep 2022). She applied for a visa from within Canada a few days ago and she was given a visa for 7 months (it expires in Aug. 2020). We are planning to travel this summer and we will come back to Canada in Sep 2020 (after the expiry data of the visa). Can I reapply for a new visa now although her visa was issued a few days ago.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for sharing! We have the exact same situation.. I paid additional $150 too and submitted it through webform so they won't have to ask for it anymore. What date did you apply again? It'll be my 4th month of waiting on Feb 8.
Well I applied for the student permit extension only after they asked for it to be submitted on this Monday like after 5 months and constant follow ups..

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Congratulations and really hats off for your struggle and patience. You have done a unique work by sharing your experience which is now becae history and guiding lines /help for the future students who will face such problem.
Thank you and that was my intent of sharing everything ..first of all I hope that no one lands in such situation but if they do then the right measures are needed to be taken ...:)

jvnjie

Oct 22, 2019
Thank you and that was my intent of sharing everything ..first of all I hope that no one lands in such situation but if they do then the right measures are needed to be taken ...:)
Hi Zod! Thank you for your post as well! May I ask a quick question?

On Friday my consultant received the letter in the portal as well saying I need to pay 150 study permit extension fee. So for you, did you just upload the receipt, or you uploaded extra documents as well?

Lbatallanos

Aug 7, 2019
Hi
Quick question, did you apply together (PGWP for your spouse and work permit extension for you)?, is your spouse applied for PGWP after Masters / PhD ?
I applied PGWP in Aug I didnot get any update on mine so far from IRCC. My spouse application submitted in Oct 29 for work permit extension, fingers crossed!.
Hi! yes we applied together... and he applied for PGWP after Master.....it's weird that it takes too long, did you already call?

garap

Dec 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

I thought of sharIng the timeline of my spouse’s open work permit extension. I applied for her OWP extension along with our kid's visitors record extension on October 30th, 2019 and it was approved online today. Their application was submitted while I was waiting for my PGWP with an explanation letter.

I'm assuming it would take 2 to 3 weeks to receive the paper copy of their permits. Bottom line: If you fulfilled the eligibility requirements and submitted all the necessary documents, you will get the permit.

LuckyS

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Hi Guys,

I thought of sharIng the timeline of my spouse’s open work permit extension. I applied for her OWP extension along with our kid's visitors record extension on October 30th, 2019 and it was approved online today. Their application was submitted while I was waiting for my PGWP with an explanation letter.

I'm assuming it would take 2 to 3 weeks to receive the paper copy of their permits. Bottom line: If you fulfilled the eligibility requirements and submitted all the necessary documents, you will get the permit.

Hey thats great, my case is also similar, i applied on Oct 29,2019. when my husbands PGWP was on process with an explanation. Did u recived your PGWP before her WP extension??