+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

RK93

Aug 16, 2019
My study permit expired on Nov 30, and I applied for SP extension on Oct 30 so now I have implied status.
I have now finished my degree requirements.
I just noticed that PGWP no longer need valid SP, does that mean I can go ahead and apply for PGWP now?
Or should I wait for the SP decision so that I don't complicate things...
First of all, you need valid study permit for PGWP and second things is your husband only eligible for SP extension if you have job under NOC and PGWP. First you nee PGWP approval then apply for your spouse extension. If your PGWP is under process than go ahead apply SP extension with explanation letter that you are waiting for PGWP

TechnoAg

Dec 7, 2019
I promised myself that I would share my unusual journey with Canada once the processing of my PGWP was completed, and today is that day.

Application type: PGWP
Applied: October 13th
Passport request: December 7th
Application Approved: December 18th
Duration: 3years

I started my first program (a PGD) in Jan. 2015 and completed in September of the same year. I decided to pursue a second bachelor's program because I couldn't get into a Master's program, but three semesters in I got into a US master's program. I chose to leave immediately because the offer came with funding, and I didn't want to lose it. So I resumed in the United States, January 2017.

Two years later, when I had some free time, I came back to Canada and transferred my unfinished courses into a 2yr diploma. As an advanced standing student, I only needed to complete six classes to get the diploma, which I did during the 2019 Spring-Summer semesters. I then used that diploma to apply for this work permit, which was just approved.

While I don't advise anyone to go through this crazy route, I just wanted to share my experience as all the agents and lawyers I spoke to said they had no precedent to base my case off, so they had no clue what the outcome would be. I also did the entire application process myself, and I included a letter of explanation explaining my choices. I used the free consultation lawyers offered, so I never paid any fees, and my school had immigration agents, so that was free too.

@ me, if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer it.

Happy Holidays!

Reactions: JamTur and Doomski

Navneet90

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Did you take summer off? Or did you take two courses in one of the terms?
No I didn’t took any break neither 2 courses.
I knew it that could cause problem so without taking any chances i did 3 regular semester with 9credits in 2 of my semester and 12 in 1.

Navneet90

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Who can apply for restoration of status for study. CIC told me your 90days after studies are over and you have to move from canada and then apply for PGWP as they refused PGWP with stupid reason of criteria of full time student whereas i was a full time student during my 1 yr of programme. anyone can help to know more about it.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Who can apply for restoration of status for study. CIC told me your 90days after studies are over and you have to move from canada and then apply for PGWP as they refused PGWP with stupid reason of criteria of full time student whereas i was a full time student during my 1 yr of programme. anyone can help to know more about it.
your studies are over for 90 days already? how could you restore your status as student if the time limit is over?

Navneet90

Star Member
May 25, 2018
your studies are over for 90 days already? how could you restore your status as student if the time limit is over?
That’s what am asking. I got response from cic on 94th day so how can cic expect me to apply it before 90days. Although my student permit is/was valid till dec 31st 2020. any alternative i have now !

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
That’s what am asking. I got response from cic on 94th day so how can cic expect me to apply it before 90days. Although my student permit is/was valid till dec 31st 2020. any alternative i have now !
If your refusal is not because of expired study permit then what? If you did not fulfil the requirements of the pgwp, then your refusal was correct.

Kodi333

Dec 19, 2019
Me personally I made the PGWP demand on the 1st of october, hopefully before mid january they will accept. I'll keep you guys posted