+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

ahmed_hegazy

Nov 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
August 31st 2019
Did you call them or what did you do. I applied on may 16. Still waiting.
I did call them a couple of weeks ago and they said they sent a message to the processing center. I do not know if that helped tho.

Have you tried calling before?

Sudheer Kumar

Sep 18, 2019
I did call them a couple of weeks ago and they said they sent a message to the processing center. I do not know if that helped tho.

I did call them a couple of weeks ago and they said they sent a message to the processing center. Again called week ago and they said they already sent notification and you have to wait.

Ajz

Aug 8, 2019
Hello everyone, I am trying to use this webform to change my address right, while i wait for my PGWP. What documents should I upload with that? I am not sure at all.

Saraj90

Sep 27, 2019
Applied May 18th
Eligibility September 26th
Approved September 27th

132 days of processing time, no emails were sent throughout..
Congrats! Question; did your study permit/trv expire while you waited? Mine expire 2 months after graduation so I’m not sure how that will affect my stay in Canada while I wait for my pgwp

Nighshade

Sep 22, 2019
Hello everyone, I am trying to use this webform to change my address right, while i wait for my PGWP. What documents should I upload with that? I am not sure at all.
Just give them your previous address which was put on submitted form and than give them the new address.

Nighshade

Sep 22, 2019
Congrats! Question; did your study permit/trv expire while you waited? Mine expire 2 months after graduation so I’m not sure how that will affect my stay in Canada while I wait for my pgwp
No it will not, you have an Implied Status while waiting if you did your application on time. You just can't change job while you're waiting if you're working.

ahmed_hegazy

Nov 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
August 31st 2019
You are fine, it does not matter if your study permit expires as long as you applied in time. You can also work while waiting for a decision if you meet the following conditions (copied from CIC's website):

Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

• had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.

Jillm

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for your advice, I have a casual job right now, and also have a new job offer, I’m afraid the new employer can cancel me if my Sin number expires. Please help me!
you can show them the acknowledgement that you have applied for your work permit.

As long as you met the requirements before applying you have implied status and can begin working at the position.

if you need help please contact me.
Even if your sin will expire you are still allowed to work in this circumstance as you have proof that you have applied for your permit.

Lisa829

Sep 21, 2019
Anyone know what I should do with my application ? I applied in March and few months later, they asked me for additional documents which I uploaded before the deadline.. but since then I have not heard any response.. still shows processing. I'm worried

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
My story is:

I studied in Canada at Fanshawe college 2014-2016, then in York University 2016-2019 (Diploma and Degree). I started a full-time job in June 2019 and graduated the same month, but could pick up my degree only in September. That is when I applied for PGWP on 12th. When I started a full-time job I researched and found out that I could work full-time as long as I apply for PGWP within 180 days of completion of studies.

Only now I realised that a lot of details were missing on cic website as to eligibility of working in between graduation and applying (which you can find on many other pages and put them together to get the picture of my screw up). I mentioned my job in my occupation in the application as well, and I am very scared it will be rejected because of unauthorized work.

Can my 5 years studies somehow cover the fact that I worked for 3 months? Do they always check if you worked during that period?

corny.tan

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
My story is:

I studied in Canada at Fanshawe college 2014-2016, then in York University 2016-2019 (Diploma and Degree). I started a full-time job in June 2019 and graduated the same month, but could pick up my degree only in September. That is when I applied for PGWP on 12th. When I started a full-time job I researched and found out that I could work full-time as long as I apply for PGWP within 180 days of completion of studies.

Only now I realised that a lot of details were missing on cic website as to eligibility of working in between graduation and applying (which you can find on many other pages and put them together to get the picture of my screw up). I mentioned my job in my occupation in the application as well, and I am very scared it will be rejected because of unauthorized work.

Can my 5 years studies somehow cover the fact that I worked for 3 months? Do they always check if you worked during that period?
Just curious, even though you had completed your studies before the official handout of your degree (convocation/graduation ceremony), couldn't you have asked for a letter of completion from your school's Registrar's Office to certify that you have indeed completed all requirements of your degree program? You could use this letter of completion as proof of completion of studies for PGWP application, instead of waiting till the degree handout. That's what I did.

Also, I found this information on CIC's website that may be related to your situation: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#after

It seems that you actually cannot work full-time in between completion of study program and application of PGWP.

Last edited:

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
Just curious, even though you had completed your studies before the official handout of your degree (convocation/graduation ceremony), couldn't you have asked for a letter of completion from your school's Registrar's Office to certify that you have indeed completed all requirements of your degree program? You could use this letter of completion as proof of completion of studies for PGWP application, instead of waiting till the degree handout. That's what I did.

Also, I found this information on CIC's website that may be related to your situation: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#after

It seems that you actually cannot work full-time in between completion of study program and application of PGWP.
Yes, i know now that i cannot work during that period, but i heard other people with same stories being approved. So i was wondering if there is any chance i can get approved with such violation