+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Etym

Jul 14, 2019
Hi everyone, congratulations to those of you who have gotten their approvals! I want to be prepared for when mine gets approved (applied May 16th) so I wanted to ask what is the next step once you get the PGWP approved? Can we immediately apply for the TRV online or do we have to wait for the work permit to arrive in the mail to complete the TRV application? Thank you! :)

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone, congratulations to those of you who have gotten their approvals! I want to be prepared for when mine gets approved (applied May 16th) so I wanted to ask what is the next step once you get the PGWP approved? Can we immediately apply for the TRV online or do we have to wait for the work permit to arrive in the mail to complete the TRV application? Thank you! :)
We need to wait for the PGWP that will be mailed to us. It's one of the requirements we need to upload. Just be sure that we will be using the Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada. https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv/apply-temporary-resident-visa-trv-within-canada-tutorial-overview

Anya83

Aug 6, 2019
Who needs TRV? I come from one of central European countries do I need TRV? Does anyone who gets pgwp need to apply for TRV? Thank you!

I checked it said that I'd need an eTA, it costs 7 cad.

Last edited:

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi everyone
I have a question, I applied for pgwp on may 21 and waiting for the decision. Does anyone know how much time now ot takes to get trv once we get work permit. My marriage is on oct 21st and i am little bit worried whether I can get the passport stamped with visa in the time limit. Plz reply if any one in this group have submitted for trv

TRV's according to current timeline , might take anywhere between 2-35 days.
Some applications might need BG checks.
Depends on your nationality.

Etym

Jul 14, 2019
We need to wait for the PGWP that will be mailed to us. It's one of the requirements we need to upload. Just be sure that we will be using the Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada. https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv/apply-temporary-resident-visa-trv-within-canada-tutorial-overview
Hi thank you for your reply. I checked the link you pasted but I could not find an answer to the following question- If I am in Canada do I still select the Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada?

saveslife10

Apr 1, 2019
No. Their permits will depend on the study permit whether it's approved or not. That was why when I first applied for my study permit, I only applied alone. When I got the approval, I applied for their TRVs only. We applied for my wife's OWP when we reached Vancouver Intl Airport (POE) because it will only take 30 mins there vs 10 weeks online processing time. After 2 mos, I applied for my daughter's study permit too eventhough she can study in middle school without it. I just thought that it's safer that she has her own study permit because I can attach her to my MSP. Without the study permit, she doesn't have her own healthcare card.
Hi sir..I have plan to apply for Study Permit.. so that's possible that we only get TRV for spouse and child then let them accompany during landing then get the OWP of spouse at POE? was it easy to get TRV for both of them? And does this applies to all POE airports of Canada like Toronto?

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hi thank you for your reply. I checked the link you pasted but I could not find an answer to the following question- If I am in Canada do I still select the Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada?
Yes. I have already applied using both inside or outside. I needed to reapply for TRV when my passport expired. When I applied "inside", I filled up imm5708. It was a wrong form. So I only wasted money on that. Then I called CIC they said that even if I'm inside Canada, I should still use the "outside". If you want I can pm you and show you both approvals of using inside and outside.

Reactions: Etym

hkang12

May 7, 2019
Yes. I have already applied using both inside or outside. I needed to reapply for TRV when my passport expired. When I applied "inside", I filled up imm5708. It was a wrong form. So I only wasted money on that. Then I called CIC they said that even if I'm inside Canada, I should still use the "outside". If you want I can pm you and show you both approvals of using inside and outside.
Did you receive any email regarding your approval or you just opened your account and it was approved

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hi sir..I have plan to apply for Study Permit.. so that's possible that we only get TRV for spouse and child then let them accompany during landing then get the OWP of spouse at POE? was it easy to get TRV for both of them? And does this applies to all POE airports of Canada like Toronto?
It was a breeze when I got both their TRVs and OWP for my wife. I needed to do that because of time constraint. My SP was approved June 30. We will be flying to Canada Aug 3. Spousal OWP's processing time then was 10 weeks. Under the International Mobility Program, a foreign national may apply for an open work permit outside Canada, at a port of entry or after arrival to Canada, as per program
requirements. We just needed to do upfront medical exams for both of them because immigration will definitely ask for that.

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Did you receive any email regarding your approval or you just opened your account and it was approved
My notifications are "on" so I received email Aug 15 stating that there was an "update". When I checked, I saw they reviewed my eligibility Aug 14. Then saw the approval at the end part. After an hour, I received another email saying that I have a "message". When I checked, I saw my approval letter.

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Look for this one in the link:

Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM5257E]

Important: Choose this form even if you are applying from within Canada.
---------------------------------------
IMM5257E will only be generated when you click your home country. IMM5708 will be generated when Canada is chosen. Trust me I already did both and I only wasted money on the "inside" of Canada.

Reactions: Etym