+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
Hello,

I have applied for PGWP on 19th September but haven't got wp-ext yet. employers are not allowing to work without that letter. anyone have idea about this situation? Local member of parliament can help in this case?
send a webform for the work authorization letter and check all the the documents you sent maybe something is missing

Nov 26, 2020
How should we deal with a situation like this please? As in, if it takes 5 months or more for the PGWP to be approved, and they give the interim authorisation only for 4 months, then do students usually stop working after the 4 months and wait for the approval?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you so much!
You can keep working and it’s legal. The 120 day deadline on that letter is based on IRCC’s service standards which they obviously haven’t revised. If it helps with your assurance you can ask for a revised letter.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1507&top=15

Reactions: ndoan95
Nov 26, 2020
Hi, I have applied for my PGWP in september and I received a work authorization letter till jan 10th, where i can stay back and work in the country till i get a response on my application. With just one 1 month to go and a two-week christmas break in between, I am beginning to worry if i will receive a response before the due date (Jan 10th).

Has anyone been through this or is in a similar situation? I'm unsure how to go about this...should I send a web form to extend the date on the letter or mayb apply for an extension as a visitor to stay back in the country? I came here on a study permit which has already expired. I would appreciate all the responses I could get. Thank you
You can keep working with your maintained status and it’s legal. The 120 day deadline on that letter is based on IRCC’s service standards which they obviously haven’t revised. If it helps with your assurance you can ask for a revised letter. You don’t need to change your status to visitor.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1507&top=15

Last edited:
Reactions: iona_s22

Yagnavel

Nov 18, 2022
Hello guys, my Post Graduate Diploma course had 4-semester and each one was 4 months of duration. After 2nd semester, it had 4 months break, also last (4th) semester was a CO-OP. So, I completed the course in 20months.

Now few questions are repeating in my mind,

Q1: I have applied for PGWP in Aug 2022 and waiting for approval. In which, my passport expires in Aug 2025, so as per rules, I will get PGWP only till my passport expiry date – Am I correct?

Q2: Once I get my new passport, can I apply for PGWP extension for remaining eligible years?

Q3: As per (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html), it says that they will provide PGWP only for the course duration, if that's the case then, I could get only 20months, but my course seniors had received 3 years PGWP. Since, my scenario is peculiar, will it affect my 3 years PGWP, will I receive less PGWP?

Thanks in advance!

Abdussalam Khan

Nov 13, 2022
Nowshera, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
11-08-2022
Med's Done....
15-08-2022
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2022
Hello guys, my Post Graduate Diploma course had 4-semester and each one was 4 months of duration. After 2nd semester, it had 4 months break, also last (4th) semester was a CO-OP. So, I completed the course in 20months.

Now few questions are repeating in my mind,

Q1: I have applied for PGWP in Aug 2022 and waiting for approval. In which, my passport expires in Aug 2025, so as per rules, I will get PGWP only till my passport expiry date – Am I correct?

Q2: Once I get my new passport, can I apply for PGWP extension for remaining eligible years?

Q3: As per (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html), it says that they will provide PGWP only for the course duration, if that's the case then, I could get only 20months, but my course seniors had received 3 years PGWP. Since, my scenario is peculiar, will it affect my 3 years PGWP, will I receive less PGWP?

Thanks in advance!
1. yes
2. yes, if PGWP is issued for less duration because of the passport expiry
3. any course that is 16 months or more is considered as 2 years, you should get 3 years of PGWP.

Reactions: Yagnavel

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Did you also apply for PGWP+SOWP?
No, mine was PGWP+Child Visitor Record. The strange thing was that my wife applied separately for her visitor record around mid Nov as her work permit expired on 30 Nov. She got the approval after only 2 weeks, while I and our kid are still waiting.