+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

csolorzano

Dec 5, 2022
No email. and no additional document.
There is one line displaying the new work permit number and expiry date/update date.
And the Status changed to 'Approved'.
Hi. You might just have to wait a bit today or tomorrow. Yesterday morning, I checked the website and it said approved, just like you, but with no document. I had to wait 'til the evening to receive a confirmation document. It takes some time.

tanny_ca

Sep 6, 2019
Hi. You might just have to wait a bit today or tomorrow. Yesterday morning, I checked the website and it said approved, just like you, but with no document. I had to wait 'til the evening to receive a confirmation document. It takes some time.
Thank you!

SNP0201

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Hi all, I wanted to update. Here's my timeline.

Applied on: June 25th 2022
Eligibility review on: December 5th 2022
Approved on: December 6th 2022
Now waiting for the hard copy :)

Good luck everyone! This process is very frustating - trust me, it's not the first application I've done. Hang in there! :)
Ps. I did send a message through the Web Form about a week ago saying that the processing time was exceeded (it was around 145 days when I applied in June). I don't know if that helps to accelerate the process, but it's not the first time I've tried that and within a couple of weeks, I got accepted. Just saying..
Congratulations.

Usually they take current processing time as reference, which is 166/168 days, but I am surely gonna try this if I do see any update by next week. Thank you.

memolllak

Jun 17, 2022
PGWP extension (due to passport expiry date) applied by mail
paper application send by mail: Aug 23, 2022
Received at the office (Alberta case processing center) : Aug 29, 2022 (Application date)
Link to online account by UCI and passport number: September 14, 2022
Approved: Dec 6, 2022

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
So should i wait?? I got WP-EXT on 27th may stating that “as proof that you are authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until September 22, 2022 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.”
How should we deal with a situation like this please? As in, if it takes 5 months or more for the PGWP to be approved, and they give the interim authorisation only for 4 months, then do students usually stop working after the 4 months and wait for the approval?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you so much!

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
Hi, I have applied for my PGWP in september and I received a work authorization letter till jan 10th, where i can stay back and work in the country till i get a response on my application. With just one 1 month to go and a two-week christmas break in between, I am beginning to worry if i will receive a response before the due date (Jan 10th).

Has anyone been through this or is in a similar situation? I'm unsure how to go about this...should I send a web form to extend the date on the letter or mayb apply for an extension as a visitor to stay back in the country? I came here on a study permit which has already expired. I would appreciate all the responses I could get. Thank you

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I applied to PGWP on June 25th (Inland, online in QC). My eligibility started this weekend I believe, which is exciting! Has anyone applied from the Montreal area and received their hard copy by mail? How long can it take?
what did you do to stay back in the country? I applied on september 12th and my work authorization letter expires on jan 10th 2023. My study permit has also expired. I was hoping this would come through but with barely a month left and with 2 weeks of holidays in between this month, I am beginning to worry.

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
i applied on May 10th and no progress yet. Submitted webform and they responded, i can still work and the app is in progress only. i cannot leave the country so i can maintain the status.

...response form IRCC
Please do not reply to this email.
Good day xxxxx,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).​

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your work permit application is still in process. If the letter we sent you when you applied online to extend or change your work permit is now expired and you haven’t left Canada, you have maintained your status. You can keep working under the same conditions of your current work permit until we make a decision on your application.​
Hi, did you submit the webform after the due date on the letter to get a response or before? i have time till jan 10th, 2023 so im confused if i can stay back and work without any status in the country. my study permit has expired and i was hoping this would come within the month but on reading everyone's conversations here it seems unlikely with this backlog. Any advice would help. Thanks