+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Samip29

Aug 25, 2019
Hello Folks,

I want your advice, I have applied for my PGWP (Inland) on December 22,2021 and I have to visit back home due to personal reasons. As per current processing time I will not get my work permit on time. I am thinking to visit port of entry to get the work permit but my student visa has been expired in December 2021. Will Canada border security allow me to enter in Canada without TRV? Please advice.

Thanks!

Reactions: RS02

yafaa1993

Star Member
Jul 2, 2021
Hello Folks,

I want your advice, I have applied for my PGWP (Inland) on December 22,2021 and I have to visit back home due to personal reasons. As per current processing time I will not get my work permit on time. I am thinking to visit port of entry to get the work permit but my student visa has been expired in December 2021. Will Canada border security allow me to enter in Canada without TRV? Please advice.

Thanks!
I don’t know about the rest. But NO you will not be allowed in if you don’t have a valid TRV

Last edited:
Reactions: RS02

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Hello Folks,

Thanks!
You'll be allowed re-entry without a TRV if you re-enter from the US. I know someone who was in a situation very similar to yours. He did the flagpoling process at a land crossing and got his PGWP. Just make sure that the land crossing where you seek to apply would accept your application since sometimes some busy border crossings accept it only during specified hours (check here https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html#sor ).
Keep in mind that they may ask you to come at another date or refuse to process your applicationn and request you to lodge it online instead since Work/Study permit applications takes a lot of time and resources of CBSA, especially at busier border crossings.
And last not the least make sure your documentation is complete.
Hope this helps!

Samip29

Aug 25, 2019
You'll be allowed re-entry without a TRV if you re-enter from the US. I know someone who was in a situation very similar to yours. He did the flagpoling process at a land crossing and got his PGWP. Just make sure that the land crossing where you seek to apply would accept your application since sometimes some busy border crossings accept it only during specified hours (check here https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html#sor ).
Keep in mind that they may ask you to come at another date or refuse to process your applicationn and request you to lodge it online instead since Work/Study permit applications takes a lot of time and resources of CBSA, especially at busier border crossings.
And last not the least make sure your documentation is complete.
Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the guidance.

Norma27

Aug 16, 2021
Hi guys, my friend who had submitted her documents for WP in June with final transcript got her approval just now. She didn't knew when they started reviewing the eligibility as she hadn't checked her status since few weeks and just few hours ago she found out that the review eligibility had started and it got approved just now. Her WP expiry is until her passport expired (one and half years). Can she apply for the remaining one and half years once her passport is renewed?

yafaa1993

Star Member
Jul 2, 2021
Hi guys, my friend who had submitted her documents for WP in June with final transcript got her approval just now. She didn't knew when they started reviewing the eligibility as she hadn't checked her status since few weeks and just few hours ago she found out that the review eligibility had started and it got approved just now. Her WP expiry is until her passport expired (one and half years). Can she apply for the remaining one and half years once her passport is renewed?
Congratulations to tour friend. Yes, she can extend her work permit with her new passport.
If you had to renew your passport
You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if

• you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire
Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

Did she apply outland?

Last edited:
Reactions: Norma27