+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) Application rejection posibility

ma5590

Jan 24, 2018
Hi there

I have a situation regarding my degree and application for pgwp. I was admitted at Dalhousie University for a 5 year bachelors with co-op program during fall of 2013 but sincere there was CIC workers strike during that period, my study permit was delayed and therefore my admission to Winter 2014. Dalhousie University usually does not have intake in the winter but gave me special permission based on my problem. This has therefore caused a domino effect for my full time/part time status for academic term. I was not eligible to take most courses since I was a semester late. I had 3 part time semesters during fall/winter through out my 5 year bachelors degree but they were during my 2nd year of studies. Since then I have been full time and will be graduating next year. I have never taken a semester off including all summer terms during my 5 year degree and was always in good standing. I have finished my 5 year degree within 5 years but just at the cost of being part time during some fall/winter terms but full time during summer terms. I have talked to my international student advisor and she told me that since last year a lot of students have had their pgwp rejected due to part time studies.

I have noticed from this thread and from experience talking to different people in my situation that usually pgwp are rejected for people who take too long to graduate and mostly for people doing a 2 year program and they usually just check your last 2 years of academic transcript.

What do you guys suggest I do at this point ? Do I just apply with letter of completion and see if CIC officer figures out that I was a pert time student during some terms.

Or do I provide a letter of explanation providing the explanation on why I was a part time student and also a supporting letter from the Dean saying that there was nothing I could have done to remedy this situation.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.