+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible to waive medical exam for non-accompanying dependent?

jkebe

Jun 14, 2015
Hi,

I'm wondering what the best approach would be in this situation: a permanent resident applicant under the Live-in Caregiver Class has a teenage dependent living with family members outside of Canada. The application is being held up by the lack of a dependent medical exam; the applicant's own forms are otherwise complete.

If the dependent is somewhat estranged from the applicant, and does not wish to complete this process, is there any way for the applicant's own permanent residency to proceed? Is there a waiver process for this specific situation?

Thank you! These issues have been confusing for me. Any guidance is appreciated.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is possible for the PR application to proceed without the dependent being medically examined, but it will delay the process considerably.

CIC does not want to approve PR applications where a dependent has not been medically examined. They will repeatedly ask for the medical to be done. People have been able to convince the visa officer assigned to the file that they cannot get a medical done and are waiving their rights to sponsor the child, but the applicant will have to send a letter or affidavit about this to the visa office. The applicant will then have to sign a form stating that they know that by not getting the medical done, they will not be able to sponsor the dependent in the future.

It is far better to get the medical done. Try to convince the family members looking after the child, and the child, that it is in the child's best interests to get the medical done. If it is not done, the applicant will never be able to sponsor the dependent, even if the situation changes. For example, if the child later decides he or she wants to come to Canada, perhaps for school; if the people caring for the child die or can no longer look after him or her; etc.: without a medical exam now, the person still would not be able to sponsor the child later.

jkebe

Jun 14, 2015
Thank you, I see. So as I understand it, the main options would be to either get the medical done, or to basically renounce the dependent in terms of future immigration sponsorship.

tishness

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
AOR Received.
Part 1: 23-01-2015 Part 2: 24-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-01-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-06-2015
LANDED..........
1 Husband ETA - August 1, 2015!
My husband just got approval without medicals for 2 unaccompaning estranged children. Your option is to forgot future sponsor up of the child but CIC wants you to prove that you cannot get the medical done, not that you are just being lazy or cheap. You should address this directly, and if possible have the child write or sign a letter stating that they do not wish to appear. You will be sent a document waiving the right to sponsor the child later that will need to be notarized as well, your VO should supply this to you. We had supplied back story on his relationship with the children's mother, their last contact and attempts to contact her since without response. We even submitted notarized declarations that e waives the right to sponsor them in the future with our application. They did ask for more evidence and signed forms again. He had tried to contact other family members since we filed our application so we provided that as well and they seemed to have accepted that it is beyond his control and he has done the best he can to produce them for medicals given the situation. Hopefully this helps, they way I understand it, you need to proof that you have tried, to your best ability and are not just simply choosing not to do it.

RYIT

Dec 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/12/2014
Doc's Request.
31/03/2015
AOR Received.
02/03/2015
File Transfer...
SA: 05/03/2015
Med's Request
31/03/2015
Med's Done....
17/04/2015
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
21/05/2015--COPR received 02/06/2015
LANDED..........
11/06/2015
I just received PR without having a medical completed for a non-accompanying dependant.

It did not delay my application at all. I received PR 5 months after initially submitting my application to CIC.

All I had to include was the custody agreement stating that my ex has full custody, I only have rights to visitation as seen appropriate by my ex, and a signed statutory declaration stating that I understood that by my child not completing the medical they would be forever excluded from family class sponsorship and I would never be able to sponsor her.

I submitted the statutory declaration and custody agreement with the initial application and was never asked anything more about it.

Reactions: mamad611

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
As mentioned above, you have two choices.

Your dependent must have a medical exam done or dependent will forever never be a PR through family sponsorship for life.

If you do decide to go ahead without your dependent's exam, your dependent can only apply for PR on her own merits.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
jkebe said:
So ... the main options would be to either get the medical done, or to basically renounce the dependent in terms of future immigration sponsorship.
Yes.

pianoman591

Sep 27, 2017
Hi,
I have received an ITA and submitted my Permanent Application back in May 2017. I am divorced and my ex-wife has the custody of my child (4) as can be seen on the court documents, on top of that, she refused to let me have any contact with my child and it has been a couple years without having any kind of communication as I don't even know where she/they live anymore.
I submitted as part of the application, all the legal documentation of this situation plus a very extensive letter of explanation as I cannot obtain a medical examination for my non-accompanying family member.

Today (4 months later) I have received a notice from CIC, requesting me to provide the medical exam, this is a snippet of the letter:

"All family members, whether accompanying or not, are required to be examined to ensure that they are
not inadmissible to Canada. You must make every effort to have your non-accompanying family
members examined. You cannot simply choose not to have them examined. If you are unable
to meet this requirement, you must satisfy an officer that extenuating circumstances prevent you
from doing so and that you have made all reasonable efforts to meet this requirement.
If all of your family members are not examined and you are unwilling or unable to provide
supporting documentation to satisfy an officer that you have made all reasonable efforts to meet
this requirement, your application will be decided based on information available on file which
may result in the refusal of your application.
If you are unable to have all of your family members examined, you must provide the following as proof
of your efforts to have them examined;
i) A statement and supporting documentation for your attempts to have your non-accompanying
family members examined and,
ii) An explanation as to why your attempts to have your non-accompanying family members
examined have not been successful, including court documents, custody and/or separation
documents as applicable. Note: Not having custody of a child should not normally be an
impediment to having the child examined.

You must show that you have made all reasonable efforts to have your family members examined. We
will review the documentation provided and advise you whether there are sufficient reasons to consider
granting relief from having your non-accompanying family members examined. It is only in truly

exceptional circumstances, when there are clear humanitarian and compassionate grounds, where relief
may be granted from not meeting the requirements of the Act.
We remind you that failing to declare a spouse or child in your application, prior to becoming a
permanent resident, may lead to an inadmissibility finding for you, even if you have already become a
permanent resident."

- Does anybody have solid documentation (or a case law reference) about renouncing future immigration sponsorship of a estranged family member?
- Does anybody have a template or guidelines of how such "statement" has to be prepared? would a notarized document be required in this case?
- Does anybody have any specifics of what "reasonable efforts" would be considered valid in this case? I have send several emails to my ex-wife and got no response. I cannot find her on facebook or any other social network. The last known phone number is answered now by some strange person and the last known home address is not valid anymore as different tenants live there now. She did have relatives in a different city (not my home city) and I am currently working in Canada on a Work Permit, meaning that I cannot travel back to my home country to try to look for her/my-child.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Pianoman

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
I just received PR without having a medical completed for a non-accompanying dependant.

It did not delay my application at all. I received PR 5 months after initially submitting my application to CIC.

All I had to include was the custody agreement stating that my ex has full custody, I only have rights to visitation as seen appropriate by my ex, and a signed statutory declaration stating that I understood that by my child not completing the medical they would be forever excluded from family class sponsorship and I would never be able to sponsor her.

I submitted the statutory declaration and custody agreement with the initial application and was never asked anything more about it.

My husband is portugese from azores he's from terceria so his son was unaccompanied dependent his ex wife did not give us a hard time so my step son did his medical in Sao Miguel no

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
We got the same letter for my husbands 3 kids as we didn't do their medicals either. Both his ex wives have full custody as stated on the divorce decrees we submitted. We wrote a declaration stating that he is fully aware that he will never be able to sponsor his kids as family class to Canada. That he fully understood the consequences and could they please be exempt from the application. We explained that he wasn't in his sons lives and that they didn't really know him and if anything happened to their mom, they would be better off with their stepdad and her family. His daughter, we said we spoke to her mom and she refused and left it at that. We also explained that she would be spending her summers with us as per the visitation set by the courts. Three days after they received it, his medical went to passed, bgc started and complete a couple days after that then he got his ppr. It was a 4 month start to finish. A lot also depends on your case officer and we got lucky as I read a lot that they actually had to go to court to get medicals done.

Your ex obviously doesn't want to be found. You should explain it all in a declaration and send in copies of your unanswered emails and another copy stating she has full custody. State on the bottom that you are aware you can never sponsor your child under family class and to please exempt them from your application.

Not promising it will work, but it worked for us. Good luck!

pianoman591

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks a lot landagirl for your response.
About the declaration you wrote, was it notarized? Did you provide any supporting documentation for it? if yes, can you please kindly mention what was it?

Thanks in advance.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
Yes we had it notarized. We didn't send anything in other then the declaration. We spoke personally with his one ex and never mentioned it to the other so we had no proof really. I had sent in his decrees with his application so didn't send again.

In your case I would send in your copies of the emails you sent and another copy of the papers that show she has full custody. Explain the whole situation that you havent seen nor have contact with your child and no way of contacting the mother. Type it all out with your declaration on the bottom and get it notorized. I think we just got lucky and they didn't ask for more.

Reactions: glj18

pianoman591

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks a lot landagirl. I am preparing the notarized letter with the detailed explanation. I will get back to you once I have a response.

Thanks.

Bdrm

Feb 1, 2017
Dear Landalord girl!

Its motivating to see your file was approved.
Could you/anyone reading this can clarify on what is the expectation from CIC -- when they say successfully proving them the proof of number of attempts.

I am also in a similiar situation, where I face difficulty as my spouse not cooperating for the mandatory tests. I have provided everything in detail in the LOE with eAPR. But still, I recieved a request asking for medicals. Is this usual, am worried? what can be done now.?? Any suggestions pls.

pianoman591

Sep 27, 2017
Hi Bdrm,
I did a lot of research on this part and everything points to "the immigration officer's decision" as we have to convince the officer that we tried to get the medical examination done, sadly there is not clarity from CIC.
I ended up following Landagirl's advise, prepared a NOTARIZED letter detailing the information once again, pretty similar to the LOE I initially provided with the eAPR including translated copies of the recent emails I sent to my son's custodian, I hope this is enough.
One thing I'd like to highlight is that when I received the request asking for the medical examination, CIC gave me 30 days to respond and I sent few emails to my ex-wife asking to cooperate, obviously I didn't get any response, but these emails are the ones I mentioned in and attached to the notarized letter.
It has been two weeks since I responded to CIC and so far didn't receive any update.
I hope this is of any help to you.