+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
Just to clarify, I respect Ukrainians from the bottom of my heart, they way they are fighting for their country should be an example for other nations. My issue is with refugees who don't fight for their dreams and give up 20 years of spending western country's support and money over one night...
Not to deviate from my initial comment, I still don't see the reason for spending all these processing fees but still see years long delays... isn't the first priority of any government is to look after it's own citizens and make sure they recieve the services they pay their taxes for...
I think what people are also missing here is that it is perfectly normal to empathize with both situations. Refugees should get prioritized, but so should applicants who invested money and time to apply legally for citizenship, PR, etc. The issue should be about having enough trained staff who effectively work on these specific applications so that they all get the attention they deserve. They are fleeing for their livelihood, and others who are not facing a threat of persecution or war have made financial and personal investments that they have worked hard for to apply.

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
My personal guess would be:
1. Since there are in-person/video ceremonies scheduled until mid-May, they might prioritize the ones that were cancelled afterward, and that puts us to end of May/June, OR
2. They might not prioritize and those people will go back to the end of the waiting line, meaning 2-3 months or more of waiting
3. "Queeze" in the cancelled people in the existing/scheduled ones for the first weeks of May
4. Add new/extra ceremonies to make up for the cancelled ones - highly improbable.

Who wants to place their bets? :p
I dont see any ceremony other than 2 dates for SCR on the page.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/CeremonySearch/search-recherche-eng.aspx#resultList

Looks like they removed all.

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
I'm guessing they would need the entire week to get back in the swing of things and assess the backlogs. It will also depend on the office, but based on the link you've shared, rescheduling should happen sooner rather than later. Maybe they will schedule more in-person ceremonies too!
People who went on strike arent the ones who will be assessing the backlogs. The managers and high level executives may already have plans to deal with the backlogs.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
My personal guess would be:
1. Since there are in-person/video ceremonies scheduled until mid-May, they might prioritize the ones that were cancelled afterward, and that puts us to end of May/June, OR
2. They might not prioritize and those people will go back to the end of the waiting line, meaning 2-3 months or more of waiting
3. "Queeze" in the cancelled people in the existing/scheduled ones for the first weeks of May
4. Add new/extra ceremonies to make up for the cancelled ones - highly improbable.

Who wants to place their bets? :p
I'm thinking 3 and 4

LeaveItGold

Star Member
Mar 15, 2023
Yes, I don’t think they will go on strike again. What I am wondering is why they were cancelling some of the ones scheduled on May 5th.
I think they have a batch that already pushed for this week cancellation. I guess it maybe a technical issue.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
From the government website:

"The Government of Canada and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) have reached a tentative agreement, ending the strike affecting many public service members. There may still be some service impacts over the next few days and weeks as services return to full capacity."

So to my previous point, it will take some time to get back into the swing of things.