09-09-2014
Doc's Request.
31-10-2014
AOR Received.
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2014
Hi,

My partner from Spain sent his spanish police check in but then was requested one from Dominican where he lived just under two years, which we have now also sent in.

He lived and worked in Canada for about 7 months and I am wondering if they will request a police certificate at some point from here as well? Should we just go get one and send it in?

Thanks

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
No, CIC will not request a Police Certificate from Canada. If your husband has lived in Canada for more than 6 months, CIC will obtain the required police checks on their own, from the RCMP.

slb

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2014
Doc's Request.
31-10-2014
AOR Received.
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2014
Ok thats a relief! I was already stressing about how this would be possible if he is not currently in the country. Thank you

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
slb said:
Ok thats a relief! I was already stressing about how this would be possible if he is not currently in the country. Thank you
If you have lived in Canada for more than 6 months after the age of 18, a background check may be automatically conducted with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). If your name has a 50% or more match in their data base, the RCMP may request fingerprints in order to confirm your identity

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
chipolopolo said:
If you have lived in Canada for more than 6 months after the age of 18, a background check may be automatically conducted with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). If your name has a 50% or more match in their data base, the RCMP may request fingerprints in order to confirm your identity
My wife was requested to do an RCMP criminal record check from Canada, because she lived in Canada for more than 6 months in 2010. CIC did not do this on their own, this is up to the Principal Applicant to do...at least in our case it was. This was just last month that they requested it...she is a German citizen. We drove to an office in Ontario that did electronic fingerprinting due to the length of time a normal fingerprint search would take. She is staying with me for six months luckily!

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are missing the following information and/or documentation in your application:

a Certified Criminal Record Check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). For instructions on how to obtain an RCMP Certified Criminal Record, please consult the RCMP website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm. Please include a copy of this request letter when you send your request package to the RCMP.

The information and/or documentation we have requested must be provided to us within 60 days of the date on this letter. If documents have been requested, please provide originals or certified true copies. All documents not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation."

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
madmedic_1 said:
My wife was requested to do an RCMP criminal record check from Canada, because she lived in Canada for more than 6 months in 2010. CIC did not do this on their own, this is up to the Principal Applicant to do...at least in our case it was. This was just last month that they requested it...she is a German citizen. We drove to an office in Ontario that did electronic fingerprinting due to the length of time a normal fingerprint search would take. She is staying with me for six months luckily!

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are missing the following information and/or documentation in your application:

a Certified Criminal Record Check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). For instructions on how to obtain an RCMP Certified Criminal Record, please consult the RCMP website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm. Please include a copy of this request letter when you send your request package to the RCMP.

The information and/or documentation we have requested must be provided to us within 60 days of the date on this letter. If documents have been requested, please provide originals or certified true copies. All documents not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation."
This must have been an isolated case. On the CIC guide, it states:

"Police certificates
You and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens must provide:

valid police certificate, or
police clearance, or
record of no information.
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six (6) consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18".
(please note that the words "other than Canada" is written in bold letter on the CIC website as well)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp#3999E3

Like I said before, you don't need to send a police certificate from Canada. If they need one (like in the situation above, for unknown reasons), they will request it from the principal applicant later on.

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
Avadava said:
This must have been an isolated case. On the CIC guide, it states:

"Police certificates
You and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens must provide:

valid police certificate, or
police clearance, or
record of no information.
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six (6) consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18".
(please note that the words "other than Canada" is written in bold letter on the CIC website as well)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp#3999E3

Like I said before, you don't need to send a police certificate from Canada. If they need one (like in the situation above, for unknown reasons), they will request it from the principal applicant later on.
Damn...I wonder why my wife had to do this then? Her VO is Vienna...does that matter?

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
madmedic_1 said:
Damn...I wonder why my wife had to do this then? Her VO is Vienna...does that matter?
Did your wife say in her application that she is currently in Canada? If so, I assume they requested her to provide a PC from Canada just to cut their work short, since they figured it was easy for her to get one while in Canada.

If not, like the previous poster said, "If your name has a 50% or more match in their data base, the RCMP may request fingerprints in order to confirm your identity."

But your guess is as good as mine. When it comes to CIC, inconsistency is one of the things you can expect.

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
Avadava said:
Did your wife say in her application that she is currently in Canada? If so, I assume they requested her to provide a PC from Canada just to cut their work short, since they figured it was easy for her to get one while in Canada.

If not, like the previous poster said, "If your name has a 50% or more match in their data base, the RCMP may request fingerprints in order to confirm your identity."

But your guess is as good as mine. When it comes to CIC, inconsistency is one of the things you can expect.
She didn't come to Canada until Dec 1st 2014...when we applied she was still in Germany.
As you say, it would be a guess at best as to their reasoning. I would email and ask but my wife doesn't want me to stir the pot.
Thanks for the heads up though.

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
I changed my mind and asked Vienna to provide an answer for asking for the RCMP check. I'll post their reply...if I receive one.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
madmedic_1 said:
I changed my mind and asked Vienna to provide an answer for asking for the RCMP check. I'll post their reply...if I receive one.
It might take a while (28 days) before they reply to your inquiry, IF they reply. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that you send them all the documents that they requested, otherwise you might risk getting a refusal on your application.

I will try to reiterate: As a general rule and according to the CIC guide, you do not have to provide a police certificate from Canada, BUT if CIC requests one from you during the processing of your application, you should promptly provide them with one; or in the case you can't provide such a document, an explanation as to why you can't comply with their request.

Every visa office works differently, it is not in your best interest to question any/all requests from the VO, unless you think it might jeopardize the outcome of your application.

madmedic_1

Sep 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014
Doc's Request.
15-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Passport Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
We did actually send them the RCMP check they requested. Well first I sent them a scanned copy, then they said they wanted the original...which I sent last week. According to Canada Post it should have arrived today. I asked them the question by replying to the original email that they sent for the RCMP request...and because I let my wife proof read it before I sent it off to them, it is asked in a nice way. lol

May 24, 2023
Hi,

I know that a lot of time has passed since this was posted put I have a similar problem regarding the Police Report from the Dominican Republic. I'm not a Dominican neither I'm in the DR right now but I have spent 1,5 year there.

How did you get the document? Via an agency or with the help of someone you knew?

Thanks in advance for the answer OP, if you still haven't closed your account.