+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance if person is out of Canada more 183 days?

Lima_011

Feb 17, 2015

Hello everyone,

Would my husband need to submit a police clearance if he was out of Canada for more then 183days in the last 4 years eventhough we submitted one at the beginning of our sponsorship?

I already made the payment. I am not sure if I should get a refund or can I wait another 2 months until I send the application eventhough I made the payment?

Thanks in advance!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016

Hello everyone,

Would my husband need to submit a police clearance if he was out of Canada for more then 183days in the last 4 years eventhough we submitted one at the beginning of our sponsorship?

I already made the payment. I am not sure if I should get a refund or can I wait another 2 months until I send the application eventhough I made the payment?

Thanks in advance!
The latest version of the form asks about 183 consecutive days (in 5 years surely).

If it was consecutive, can you not just submit the same one (ie a duplicate?). Original can be taken for interview.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Please note that the police certificate must either have been issued:
  • after the last time you were in that country; or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Mostly FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS. The instructions in the application are not complicated. There are examples in the drop down help which cover most scenarios.

First thing is how the applicant responds to the [No] or [Yes] question in item 10.b.

The applicant needs to check [Yes] if during the FOUR (4) YEARS prior to the date the application is signed the applicant was in another country six months in a row (183 days).

If the applicant checks [No] then the applicant does NOT need to include a police clearance with the application.

If the applicant checks [Yes] then the applicant is instructed to submit a police clearance. BUT there are some exceptions.

The exceptions are fairly clearly explained in the form instructions and Example One in the drop down help. Best to read and follow the instructions for oneself.

But what the exceptions come down to is the situation where the applicant came to Canada less than four years ago and in the PR visa application process the applicant submitted a police certificate from the country where the applicant was living (for six months within the last four years) just BEFORE coming to Canada to land. Basically this is a situation in which the police clearance submitted in the PR application process is all IRCC requires.

To be clear: If that was the applicant's country of origin, the form instructions state that no police certificate needs to be submitted. If that was some country other than the applicant's country of origin, Example One suggests the exception only applies if the applicant has NOT returned to that country since coming to Canada.

If the exception applies, applicant still checks [Yes] and then enters an EXPLANATION in the box, simply stating the exception that applies.

If he needs to include a police certificate and it will take some time to obtain one, I do not know how long a payment of fees is good for. IRCC telephone Help Centre should be able to answer this question easily. Problem is getting through, and even if you get through sometimes a long wait for a call representative to respond. But they should be able to easily answer the question about how long the fees-paid are good.

The latest version of the form asks about 183 consecutive days (in 5 years surely).
NO, not "in 5 years surely," but explicitly within the previous FOUR (4) YEARS. This is expressly stated in the application form itself, item 10.b. (in June 2019 version). Moreover, police clearances are relevant to the NO PROHIBITIONS requirements, and the prohibition for criminal charges or convictions within the previous FOUR (4) YEARS in particular.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
NO, not "in 5 years surely," but explicitly within the previous FOUR (4) YEARS. This is expressly stated in the application form itself, item 10.b. (in June 2019 version). Moreover, police clearances are relevant to the NO PROHIBITIONS requirements, and the prohibition for criminal charges or convictions within the previous FOUR (4) YEARS in particular.
Oh yeah. I was doing my best to reply not having the form to hand thinking about the 5 years on the form :D
Key really, was the 183 days consecutive or not. Because if not, the OP really has nothing to worry about.