+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance for Citizenship Application

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
OP, PCC has always been an original document requirement. The fact that it does not specify at "one" place does not automatically mean photocopies are allowed. Also, there is no provision in the process to get it back.

If you need PCC for a different purpose, then the only way is to get another PCC. I understand the process can be painful and time consuming, but there is no alternative. Dont have hopes on getting it back and apply for another one asap. All the best.

v_g1973

Star Member
Oct 16, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2014
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
AOR Received.
22-01-2015
Med's Request
28-01-2015
Med's Done....
04-02-2015
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
31-03-2015
LANDED..........
30-05-2015
I called CIC today and the rep told me that if during the 4 year period, you have been in your home country before coming to Canada, and submitted a PCC just before coming here, you still need to give a new PCC. So there is no other interpretation.

That might make logical sense. But it's only one CIC phone rep's word. Unless you have something in writing- it's too risky to go with just 1 rep's words. In this forum we have had different posters report with different answers from different CIC reps about question 9C. Some said a rep asked them to answer yes, and some said a rep said to answer no.

All said and done- until (or rather if at all) they correct the form, or unless you get something in writing- it would be better to play it safe and apply with whatever instruction is laid out.

redstone

Apr 6, 2013
Congratulations for your citizenship.
Thank you for the reply. Seems like you were in same boat. i will do the same and explain in 10 b) Why i have not submitted PCC?
hi, can, have you got test /oath, did cic ask police clearance?

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
I called CIC today and the rep told me that if during the 4 year period, you have been in your home country before coming to Canada, and submitted a PCC just before coming here, you still need to give a new PCC. So there is no other interpretation.
I twiited on their Official page they replied that the PCC we provided during PR application will be sufficient (provide a copy) and explain that that 6 months you were in the home country (10(b)). I think this is a written and official answer...

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
I twiited on their Official page they replied that the PCC we provided during PR application will be sufficient (provide a copy) and explain that that 6 months you were in the home country (10(b)). I think this is a written and official answer...
I can share the screenshot here but not sure how? Unable to attach any picture !

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If I understand your post correctly, you have a response from IRCC stating that a citizenship applicant who was in his or her home country 6 plus months during the relevant FOUR YEARS but BEFORE landing and becoming a Canadian PR, can submit a copy of the Police Certificate used in the PR visa application process rather than obtaining a new Police Certificate.

This makes sense and it is my understanding this is accurate BUT CONTINGENT on specific facts and circumstances.

I do not know what you mean by "written and official answer." If by that you think it is equivalent to the IRCC online FAQ answers, that is probably correct.

If by that you think it definitively governs how IRCC will process your application or any other given application, I highly doubt that.

If you think it means this is binding on IRCC in your case or anyone else's case, I am very confident it does NOT mean that.

In particular, EVEN AS TO THE INDIVIDUAL who obtained this response, I am confident its applicability is CONTINGENT on the actual facts and circumstances. Moreover, AND EVEN IF this suffices to make a complete application, I am confident it does NOT preclude IRCC from later requesting an updated or more current police certificate.

Which is to say, understanding the meaning and import of this response requires some context.

BUT a key element in this response is crucial: it indicates that IRCC expects citizenship applicants to submit a Police Certificate if the applicant was in a particular country 6 or more months during the relevant FOUR YEARS and this applies EVEN IF the time in that country was prior to becoming a PR.

THEN there is the other part of this response, in addition to it confirming such applicants do need to submit a police certificate: It indicates, for this situation (applicant living in home country during relevant FOUR years but only before landing), a COPY of the Police Certificate submitted with the PR visa application will suffice. Thus, in effect, a new Police Certificate does NOT need to be submitted. BUT nonetheless, a Police Certificate needs to be submitted (copy of one submitted in previous process being OK). This is good to know.

BUT again, this is almost certainly CONTINGENT. That is, dependent on the actual facts.

OVERALL it suggests what I believe the consensus here well-recognizes:
-- applicants who were in a country 183 or more days during the relevant FOUR years need to submit a police certificate
-- a Police Certificate should be included with the application even if all of that time was PRIOR to coming to Canada, landing, and becoming a PR
-- but for such applicants, a COPY of the Police Certificate submitted to finalize the PR visa process may suffice (and at least should suffice to pass completeness screening)​

It warrants noting that a police certificate will generally suffice if it was issued since the last time the individual was in that country (for PR visa purposes the certificate is generally good if it was issued since the last time the individual was LIVING in that country, but in the citizenship application process the need for a police certificate is triggered by mere presence). This is probably NOT strictly applied. One or three brief holidays returning to the home country (say for two weeks or so at a time) since being issued the Police Certificate is not likely to trigger a request for an updated Certificate UNLESS IRCC has some reason to be concerned about the applicant's criminal history there.

That said, IRCC can ask any applicant to provide a police certificate from any country which IRCC has reason to believe the applicant has been in during the FOUR years prior to applying or since applying. And can ask for an updated certificate if one has previously been submitted.

It also warrants remembering the difference between what meets the criteria for making a COMPLETE APPLICATION, versus what IRCC can ask for or make inquiries regarding in processing the application.

The six month cumulative presence in another country criteria is about what triggers the instruction to include a police certificate in order to make a COMPLETE APPLICATION. Remember, passing the criteria for making a complete application only makes a difference in whether the application is returned, without further processing, or accepted as a complete application to be processed.

Since the underlying qualification at stake is the prohibition for criminal charges and convictions in other countries, which is a requirement applicable right up to the moment the oath is taken and citizenship actually bestowed, IRCC can ask for a police certificate from any given country any time during the process, so as to provide proof the applicant has no criminal charges or convictions in that country which would constitute a prohibition.

On the other hand, it warrants noting, for example, no matter how many days an applicant was in another country, if the applicant checks "no" in response to item 10.b), the application will pass the complete application screening . . . even if it is fairly clear the applicant was in another country 183+ days in the relevant four years and did not submit a police certificate. To be clear, it is NOT a good idea to give an untruthful response just to get past the completeness screening.

SUMMARY -- WHO NEEDS TO SUBMIT A POLICE CERTIFICATE:

Remember, there is NO rule let alone regulation or statute which requires citizenship applicants to submit a police certificate in order to QUALIFY for citizenship. There are however, TWO circumstances in which a citizenship applicant is instructed or requested to submit a police certificate:

-- Applicants who respond [yes] in item 10.b) are instructed to submit a police certificate with the application; there is checklist item for this, which specifies an "original" certificate

-- Applicants may be later asked, by IRCC, to submit a police certificate from a particular country​

What this reported clarification from IRCC suggests is that rather than an original Police Certificate, applicants who were living in the home country up to when they came to land in Canada can submit (with the application for citizenship) a copy of the Police Certificate used in the PR visa process. Which, again, makes sense, since IRCC has already received the original and can readily verify the copy, and that police certificate mostly covers the time the applicant had been in that country.

Be aware, however, IRCC can still ask for an updated or new Police Certificate later in the process.

NOTE REGARDING SOME RECENT ANECDOTAL REPORTS:

There have been some sporadic reports in the forum, in various topics, still suggesting that it is OK for applicants to NOT submit police certificates when most or all of the time in the other country was BEFORE landing and becoming a PR. At best these are reports about individuals who, in effect, got-away-with-it, and should NOT be taken to reflect what the IRCC rule, policy, or practice is. Moreover, in addition to the usual caveats about the extent to which internet reports can be trusted, those posting these reports invariably leave out whether they answered item 10.b) truthfully or not. I was tempted to revisit the nuances in this side of the who-needs-to-submit-police-clearance equation, since it appears some are still advocating it is OK to respond "no" to this item even though the truthful answer is "yes." But for now it should suffice to affirm that the best approach is to answer all items directly, truthfully, honestly, and completely, and then follow the instructions. Thus, for any prospective applicant who was in their home country (or other country) for 6 months prior to landing, but still within four years, the truthful response to item 10.b) is "yes" and the instructions are then clear: the applicant needs to submit a police certificate or explain why not.

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
If I understand your post correctly, you have a response from IRCC stating that a citizenship applicant who was in his or her home country 6 plus months during the relevant FOUR YEARS but BEFORE landing and becoming a Canadian PR, can submit a copy of the Police Certificate used in the PR visa application process rather than obtaining a new Police Certificate.

This makes sense and it is my understanding this is accurate BUT CONTINGENT on specific facts and circumstances.

I do not know what you mean by "written and official answer." If by that you think it is equivalent to the IRCC online FAQ answers, that is probably correct.

If by that you think it definitively governs how IRCC will process your application or any other given application, I highly doubt that.

If you think it means this is binding on IRCC in your case or anyone else's case, I am very confident it does NOT mean that.

In particular, EVEN AS TO THE INDIVIDUAL who obtained this response, I am confident its applicability is CONTINGENT on the actual facts and circumstances. Moreover, AND EVEN IF this suffices to make a complete application, I am confident it does NOT preclude IRCC from later requesting an updated or more current police certificate.

Which is to say, understanding the meaning and import of this response requires some context.

BUT a key element in this response is crucial: it indicates that IRCC expects citizenship applicants to submit a Police Certificate if the applicant was in a particular country 6 or more months during the relevant FOUR YEARS and this applies EVEN IF the time in that country was prior to becoming a PR.

THEN there is the other part of this response, in addition to it confirming such applicants do need to submit a police certificate: It indicates, for this situation (applicant living in home country during relevant FOUR years but only before landing), a COPY of the Police Certificate submitted with the PR visa application will suffice. Thus, in effect, a new Police Certificate does NOT need to be submitted. BUT nonetheless, a Police Certificate needs to be submitted (copy of one submitted in previous process being OK). This is good to know.

BUT again, this is almost certainly CONTINGENT. That is, dependent on the actual facts.

OVERALL it suggests what I believe the consensus here well-recognizes:
-- applicants who were in a country 183 or more days during the relevant FOUR years need to submit a police certificate
-- a Police Certificate should be included with the application even if all of that time was PRIOR to coming to Canada, landing, and becoming a PR
-- but for such applicants, a COPY of the Police Certificate submitted to finalize the PR visa process may suffice (and at least should suffice to pass completeness screening)​

It warrants noting that a police certificate will generally suffice if it was issued since the last time the individual was in that country (for PR visa purposes the certificate is generally good if it was issued since the last time the individual was LIVING in that country, but in the citizenship application process the need for a police certificate is triggered by mere presence). This is probably NOT strictly applied. One or three brief holidays returning to the home country (say for two weeks or so at a time) since being issued the Police Certificate is not likely to trigger a request for an updated Certificate UNLESS IRCC has some reason to be concerned about the applicant's criminal history there.

That said, IRCC can ask any applicant to provide a police certificate from any country which IRCC has reason to believe the applicant has been in during the FOUR years prior to applying or since applying. And can ask for an updated certificate if one has previously been submitted.

It also warrants remembering the difference between what meets the criteria for making a COMPLETE APPLICATION, versus what IRCC can ask for or make inquiries regarding in processing the application.

The six month cumulative presence in another country criteria is about what triggers the instruction to include a police certificate in order to make a COMPLETE APPLICATION. Remember, passing the criteria for making a complete application only makes a difference in whether the application is returned, without further processing, or accepted as a complete application to be processed.

Since the underlying qualification at stake is the prohibition for criminal charges and convictions in other countries, which is a requirement applicable right up to the moment the oath is taken and citizenship actually bestowed, IRCC can ask for a police certificate from any given country any time during the process, so as to provide proof the applicant has no criminal charges or convictions in that country which would constitute a prohibition.

On the other hand, it warrants noting, for example, no matter how many days an applicant was in another country, if the applicant checks "no" in response to item 10.b), the application will pass the complete application screening . . . even if it is fairly clear the applicant was in another country 183+ days in the relevant four years and did not submit a police certificate. To be clear, it is NOT a good idea to give an untruthful response just to get past the completeness screening.

SUMMARY -- WHO NEEDS TO SUBMIT A POLICE CERTIFICATE:

Remember, there is NO rule let alone regulation or statute which requires citizenship applicants to submit a police certificate in order to QUALIFY for citizenship. There are however, TWO circumstances in which a citizenship applicant is instructed or requested to submit a police certificate:

-- Applicants who respond [yes] in item 10.b) are instructed to submit a police certificate with the application; there is checklist item for this, which specifies an "original" certificate

-- Applicants may be later asked, by IRCC, to submit a police certificate from a particular country​

What this reported clarification from IRCC suggests is that rather than an original Police Certificate, applicants who were living in the home country up to when they came to land in Canada can submit (with the application for citizenship) a copy of the Police Certificate used in the PR visa process. Which, again, makes sense, since IRCC has already received the original and can readily verify the copy, and that police certificate mostly covers the time the applicant had been in that country.

Be aware, however, IRCC can still ask for an updated or new Police Certificate later in the process.

NOTE REGARDING SOME RECENT ANECDOTAL REPORTS:

There have been some sporadic reports in the forum, in various topics, still suggesting that it is OK for applicants to NOT submit police certificates when most or all of the time in the other country was BEFORE landing and becoming a PR. At best these are reports about individuals who, in effect, got-away-with-it, and should NOT be taken to reflect what the IRCC rule, policy, or practice is. Moreover, in addition to the usual caveats about the extent to which internet reports can be trusted, those posting these reports invariably leave out whether they answered item 10.b) truthfully or not. I was tempted to revisit the nuances in this side of the who-needs-to-submit-police-clearance equation, since it appears some are still advocating it is OK to respond "no" to this item even though the truthful answer is "yes." But for now it should suffice to affirm that the best approach is to answer all items directly, truthfully, honestly, and completely, and then follow the instructions. Thus, for any prospective applicant who was in their home country (or other country) for 6 months prior to landing, but still within four years, the truthful response to item 10.b) is "yes" and the instructions are then clear: the applicant needs to submit a police certificate or explain why not.
Thanks. Good explanation. However I am waiting for my oath date, lets see how long this goes or at what point IRCC requests a new PCC or NOT at all. I am not an expert, just tried to avoid the hassle of obtaining a PCC from my home country, so I asked this question to IRCC. I will update the group.

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
I can share the screenshot here but not sure how? Unable to attach any picture !
Hi,

Do you have any link to that tweet ? or was it private message ?

Anyone else who have checked yes and provided explanation why they are not submitting the PCC got their citizenship yet ?

I have to apply for my wife for citizenship and It is tough to get certificate while you are not in country. I may have a copy of the one that my wife submitted with her PR application.

Thanks

drnethrasrao

Aug 19, 2018
trying to schedule appointment for police clearance certificate of 'not accompanying spouse' at passport sera Kendra, mumbai online. what reason to be given - migration purposes apart from citizenship OR others ? since they will not be accompanying in EE PR application

physioyadav13

Oct 3, 2014
Hi Everybody,
Please check Column 10
There is a Note in....

Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four(4) year period , you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in explanation box.

I think these lines clears many peoples doubt.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Everybody,
Please check Column 10
There is a Note in....

Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four(4) year period , you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in explanation box.

I think these lines clears many peoples doubt.
This illustrates the importance of working with the MOST current form of the application. AND following current instructions.

A new application form was adopted in January 2019, and then soon followed by yet another version in February. The current version is CIT 0002 (02-2019).

Both these versions involve important modifications to Item 10.b These changes make SOME older discussions of the police certificate issue obsolete.

The key changes have already been discussed in SEVERAL other topics, since the question "Do I need to submit a police certificate with the application?" is among the more frequently asked questions in this forum.

Thus, while NOT news it may be worth a reminder:

The "Note" quoted above, by @physioyadav13, is one of the modifications, added to both the CIT 0002 (01-2019) and CIT 0002 (02-2019) versions of the application.

Another key modification is that the time in another country which triggers the requirement to include a police certificate is NOW based on being in a SINGLE country CONTINUOUSLY for 183 or more days (still during the four year period prior to applying) . . . recalling that prior to this modification the applicant needed to add up all the individual days in any particular country and if that total was 183 or more, that triggered the need to include the police certificate. Big difference.

Otherwise, again, there is a lot of discussion about who needs a police certificate, and WHEN, in SEVERAL other topics.

Reactions: k.h.p.

rohan.aries

Jul 10, 2014
Hi Friends, have a quick question. I was in Singapore from Nov 2011 till Feb 2016. In March 2016 i moved to Canada on PR for the first time. Now i have to apply for citizenship, do i need Police clearance from Singapore?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi Friends, have a quick question. I was in Singapore from Nov 2011 till Feb 2016. In March 2016 i moved to Canada on PR for the first time. Now i have to apply for citizenship, do i need Police clearance from Singapore?
Yes. 2016 is well within the last 5 years so assuming you were in Singapore for over 183 days continuous between 5 years ago (ie: May 2014 given today is May 2019) and Feb 2016 you will need that certificate.

rohan.aries

Jul 10, 2014
Yes. 2016 is well within the last 5 years so assuming you were in Singapore for over 183 days continuous between 5 years ago (ie: May 2014 given today is May 2019) and Feb 2016 you will need that certificate.
But Singapore will ask request letter for certificate. And for citizenship there is no letter. I have old certificate which is for june 2015 only