+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance for Citizenship Application

can2014

Apr 15, 2014
Hi There I am in same situation. I just completed 1100 day in Canada as a PR before that I was in India. Directly landed as PR in Canada
Finally did you submitted PCC from India?
Please advise
Thank you
I landed in Canada in July 2014 and so now, with the rule change, I qualify to apply for citizenship.

While filing the citizenship application, I noticed that if we have been out of Canada for more than 163 days in last 4 years then we need to provide PCC from that country.

I never left Canda after landing in July 2014 but if the period is 4 years then I was in India for more than 6 months in last 4 years. I.e I was in India for more that 6 months before I came to Canada. So, do I need PCC from India?

I I need PCC then I've a question about the address:

The address that is mentioned on my passport is no longer accessible to me as we have sold that house a year ago. My parents are also in Canada now and there is nobody in India who can help with address verification in case police go there to check.

Similar for my wife. Address on her passport is also old and no one from her family is there to handle query. Her passport is also about to expire next month.

Did anyone have similar issue? I understand that we need to put India address on the form. Which address that should be? Permanent address in India? Any address in India?
Is there any delay/problem if this address is not same as the address on the passport? Does anyone have any experience where the address on the passport and the address on the form were different?

I'm really desperate for any help that I can get. I'll try to call CGI but not sure if that will be of much help.

Last edited:

can2014

Apr 15, 2014
Hi Priyankita,
I am in same situation. I just completed 1100 day in Canada as a PR before that I was in India. Directly landed as PR in Canada
Please advise
Thank you

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I got my PR in Sept 2014 and to be able to now apply for the citizenship I need to provide PCC for the year 2013 when I was in India waiting for the PR. Did you already apply for the PCC? If so, did you mention in any of the PCC application forms the time duration you are applying the PCC for? I see a question in the police clearance reference form : Duration of stay in India. I lived all my life in India before moving to Canada. Do I need to say that or specify the year 2013 for which I need the PCC for? Any help will be very much appreciated.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hi There I am in same situation. I just completed 1100 day in Canada as a PR before that I was in India. Directly landed as PR in Canada
Please advise
Thank you
What advice do you need? Whether the other poster applied for PCC or not? Whats your question?

can2014

Apr 15, 2014
What advice do you need? Whether the other poster applied for PCC or not? Whats your question?
In Citizenship App Form Q 10 .B Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more.

I am here in Canada since last 3 years as PR.Landed directly as PR? In this do i need PCC from India? Poster in above mention quesion was in same situation so I was wondering if he submitted PCC?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
In Citizenship App Form Q 10 .B Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more.

I am here in Canada since last 3 years as PR.Landed directly as PR? In this do i need PCC from India? Poster in above mention quesion was in same situation so I was wondering if he submitted PCC?
Thank you
Let us assume your eligibility period is from 01-01-2013 to 01-01-2018 and you are landed as PR in 01-01-2015.

You are in India from 01-01-2014 to 31-12-2014 which is more than 183 days and in this case you have to submit PCC from India. Suppose you are applying for the Citizenship in 01-01-2019 and in this scenario you are in Canada within last 4 years and you don't have to submit PCC.

Thanks

Reactions: amitdi

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Let us assume your eligibility period is from 01-01-2013 to 01-01-2018 and you are landed as PR in 01-01-2015.

You are in India from 01-01-2014 to 31-12-2014 which is more than 183 days and in this case you have to submit PCC from India. Suppose you are applying for the Citizenship in 01-01-2019 and in this scenario you are in Canada within last 4 years and you don't have to submit PCC.

Thanks
This. So your two options are - apply for PCC or wait it out. Application is fairly simple with BLS.

Your options are clear as night and day. In this particular case, you dont have to wonder about what other applicants are doing. Here, you need to only look at the policy and follow those rules. All the best.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Thank you
When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

The best approach almost always is to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

The instructions clearly state that applicants who check "yes" in response to item 10.b are to either submit a police certificate from the country for which a "yes" is given OR explain why a police certificate cannot be obtained.

Obviously, the best approach is to also respond to all questions truthfully. Including item 10.b. If the truthful response is "yes" (as in yes, was in another country a total of 183 or more days during the FOUR (4) Years preceding the date the application made), answer yes and then, again, follow the instructions.

If you are asking whether there is an EXCEPTION for someone in your situation, there were some participants in the forum who were asserting such an exception a few months ago. There is no genuine reasons for considering their proposition (including its variants) credible. But there have been several forum participants who emphatically asserted some version of an exception. Have not seen this asserted in recent weeks.

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
In my case I didn’t submit a PCC.

My eligibility period was Oct 2012- Oct 2017. I landed July 2014 as PR so from Oct 2012- July 2014 I was in my home country then.

My status is now Decision Made.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

can2014

Apr 15, 2014
Thank you for the reply
When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

The best approach almost always is to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

The instructions clearly state that applicants who check "yes" in response to item 10.b are to either submit a police certificate from the country for which a "yes" is given OR explain why a police certificate cannot be obtained.

Obviously, the best approach is to also respond to all questions truthfully. Including item 10.b. If the truthful response is "yes" (as in yes, was in another country a total of 183 or more days during the FOUR (4) Years preceding the date the application made), answer yes and then, again, follow the instructions.

If you are asking whether there is an EXCEPTION for someone in your situation, there were some participants in the forum who were asserting such an exception a few months ago. There is no genuine reasons for considering their proposition (including its variants) credible. But there have been several forum participants who emphatically asserted some version of an exception. Have not seen this asserted in recent weeks.

can2014

Apr 15, 2014
Congratulations for your citizenship.
Thank you for the reply. Seems like you were in same boat. i will do the same and explain in 10 b) Why i have not submitted PCC?
In my case I didn’t submit a PCC.

My eligibility period was Oct 2012- Oct 2017. I landed July 2014 as PR so from Oct 2012- July 2014 I was in my home country then.

My status is now Decision Made.

attitudefever

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
I have been calling/reading/gathering information regarding this Police Certificate thing as I'm in the same boat as well. I landed in Canada in 2014..According to the new law (1095 days), I am now eligible to apply for citizenship. The police certificate is required for 4 years back prior to applying, so this takes us to 2013.. the year where I was still waiting in the country where I applied for immigration. I called today CIC to find out whether this year (the year waiting for immigration outside Canada) is considered as part of the 183 days which requires one to get a PCC..the agent told me NO. They take into consideration the absence of 183+ days AFTER becoming a permanent resident in Canada. I asked why isn't this clearly mentioned on the form to avoid confusion??? He said it's still a new form and they are receiving a lot of complaints regarding this matter. I invite everyone here who still has a doubt whether he/she should apply for PCC to cover the 183 days spent outside Canada waiting to arrive as a PR to call CIC to confirm what I was told.
Thanks, alot man. And you are probably right as my wife is in the same boat and we did not include any PCC for her and she got AOR already.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks, alot man. And you are probably right as my wife is in the same boat and we did not include any PCC for her and she got AOR already.
Reminder: AOR does not mean anything more than the application is complete on its face.

For example, if an applicant checks "no" in response to item 10.b that will clear the completeness check even if that response is not true, and indeed (it appears) no matter how false it is (it is possible that the completeness screening includes a comparison of the response to item 10.b. and the applicant's travel history, but there is no report hinting this happens and, moreover, this is simply NOT likely . . . that type of compare and contrast assessment is more in the purview of the local office, to be done attendant preparing the file for the test and interview).

If the applicant checks "yes" and includes any explanation for why a PCC is not included, that too appears to clear the completeness check. But that is in no way assurance a police clearance will not be required later. Moreover, it is no guarantee that the absence of the certificate will not trigger an overseas referral for a background check which can cause long processing delays. Actual impact will undoubtedly vary depending on the individual circumstances in the particular applicant's case.

And overall, how things work for one individual only illuminates that approach is possible: because it has happened it supports an inference that is what can happen to another. That does not illuminate what usually happens or what the rule is, and it for sure does not guarantee that is how it will go for another person.

As oft observed, and what is obvious: when in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions. The risk of going wrong goes way down when the applicant carefully reads and follows the instructions.

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Congratulations for your citizenship.
Thank you for the reply. Seems like you were in same boat. i will do the same and explain in 10 b) Why i have not submitted PCC?
I misunderstood so I actually ticked "no" in that question although I do have a PCC ready.

After I received my AOR, I uploaded a new form via the webform and changed my answer to yes with explanation that I will submit a PCC if needed.

They didn't request the PCC after nor do they ask for it in the interview so I guess it's fine.

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
plz advise...I landed as PR in Dec 2013 and went back to Dubai in Jan 2014 - May 2014.( 5 months) Came back to Canada on 01 June 2014. stayed in Canada continuously. Went to Qatar from Sep 2015 - June 2016 (9 months). before coming back to Canada permanently in June 2016. I took police clearance letter from Qatar as i knew i might need when applying for citizenship.
My concern is I am applying for Citizenship under new law of 1098 days. Do I need to provide a new PCC when applying for citizenship or the previous one I can submit. i havent gone out of canada since June 2016.
what other options do i have. I cannot get a new PCC from middle east as its a complicated due to language and soo many red tapes.

kindly advise.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
plz advise...I landed as PR in Dec 2013 and went back to Dubai in Jan 2014 - May 2014.( 5 months) Came back to Canada on 01 June 2014. stayed in Canada continuously. Went to Qatar from Sep 2015 - June 2016 (9 months). before coming back to Canada permanently in June 2016. I took police clearance letter from Qatar as i knew i might need when applying for citizenship.
My concern is I am applying for Citizenship under new law of 1098 days. Do I need to provide a new PCC when applying for citizenship or the previous one I can submit. i havent gone out of canada since June 2016.
what other options do i have. I cannot get a new PCC from middle east as its a complicated due to language and soo many red tapes.

kindly advise.
What does the policy say on PCC age? Maybe you can try finding that out.