Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
IN ORDER TO AVOID THE HASSLE OF GETTING PCC HOW LONG DO I NEED TO WAIT TO APLLY FOR CITIZENSHIP

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
My 2 cents-

1. It's 183 days and not 163 days like you had mentioned.

2. You can avoid all the PCC drama if you can just wait for another 2 months or so for your Eligibility Period to adjust to a time where you wouldn't have stayed back in India for more than 183 days. If you haven't done it so far, please calculate what future date of application would mean you wouldn't have to submit PCC.

For example- if you had landed as a PR on July 1st 2014, and had not been to India after that- if you wait for another 42 days to apply- you would not need to apply for PCC.

3. From what I understand- applying PCC from BLS is not too complicated. Make sure you mention the address that is consistent with what you had mentioned for that timeline in your PR application.

Good luck!
I dont know why u guys are worried about PCC.. 183 days is 6 month.. So apply when u lived in Canada for 3 year 7 months to be in the safe side.. No PCC needed in that case

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
I landed in Canada in July 2014 and so now, with the rule change, I qualify to apply for citizenship.

While filing the citizenship application, I noticed that if we have been out of Canada for more than 163 days in last 4 years then we need to provide PCC from that country.

I never left Canda after landing in July 2014 but if the period is 4 years then I was in India for more than 6 months in last 4 years. I.e I was in India for more that 6 months before I came to Canada. So, do I need PCC from India?

I I need PCC then I've a question about the address:

The address that is mentioned on my passport is no longer accessible to me as we have sold that house a year ago. My parents are also in Canada now and there is nobody in India who can help with address verification in case police go there to check.

Similar for my wife. Address on her passport is also old and no one from her family is there to handle query. Her passport is also about to expire next month.

Did anyone have similar issue? I understand that we need to put India address on the form. Which address that should be? Permanent address in India? Any address in India?
Is there any delay/problem if this address is not same as the address on the passport? Does anyone have any experience where the address on the passport and the address on the form were different?

I'm really desperate for any help that I can get. I'll try to call CGI but not sure if that will be of much help.

183 days is 6 months.. apply when u cross living 3 years 7 months in Canada.. in this way u are answering truthfully and also You can avoid providing PCC..

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
183 days is 6 months.. apply when u cross living 3 years 7 months in Canada.. in this way u are answering truthfully and also You can avoid providing PCC..
You are in effect just repeating what I had mentioned. You've just added a 30 day or so buffer and said apply after 3 years 7 months.

I had told the OP the earliest day he could apply without the PCC. I am not sure if you implied my statement was incorrect.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
You are in effect just repeating what I had mentioned. You've just added a 30 day or so buffer and said apply after 3 years 7 months.

I had told the OP the earliest day he could apply without the PCC. I am not sure if you implied my statement was incorrect.
doesnt look like it. this user has re-stated your response. i think it always helps OP and other who are visiting this thread later to see multiple responses, its sort of a re-assurance. makes sense?

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
doesnt look like it. this user has re-stated your response. i think it always helps OP and other who are visiting this thread later to see multiple responses, its sort of a re-assurance. makes sense?
The fact that he/she quoted me- made me think that he/she was suggesting that I was wrong in my assessment. But yeah- what you mentioned does make sense.

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018

hi, I just reconfirmed what you said earlier... :) thanks

alsharma

Apr 1, 2018
Hi,
If I submit the required police clearance (Philippines) with the citizenship application, am I able to have this returned to me?

These are almost impossible to get from abroad (I've applied to get one from abroad in the past and it never arrived) and I often need police clearances for employment. Is there any way I would be able to get it back from immigration?

Thanks in advance.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,
If I submit the required police clearance (Philippines) with the citizenship application, am I able to have this returned to me?

These are almost impossible to get from abroad (I've applied to get one from abroad in the past and it never arrived) and I often need police clearances for employment. Is there any way I would be able to get it back from immigration?

Thanks in advance.
No. There are no provisions for documents to be returned.

However, you may be able to mail a photocopy with your application, and show the original when you have your citizenship test and interview. The guide does not say if you need to mail the original or a photocopy. For all other documents, except for the application form and presence calculator, they ask that you only send photocopies... so it seems reasonable they'll accept a photocopy of the PCC.

If they want the original there is a very small chance they could return your application. I think it is more likely, if they want you to mail the original, that they would send you a letter to ask for it.

Looking at the instructions (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/philippines.html) you can have a relative or representative apply in the Philippines, who could then courier you the PCC. That could prove more effective than applying directly yourself?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The guide does not say if you need to mail the original or a photocopy. For all other documents, except for the application form and presence calculator, they ask that you only send photocopies... so it seems reasonable they'll accept a photocopy of the PCC.
The last I looked the checklist states (in list of documents for those to be submitted IF . . . "this applies to you"):

Original police certificates or clearances for each country where you were present for a total of 183 days or more in the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application. If you are unable to obtain a police certificate, tell us why in the space provided in question 10 of the application form.

"Original" is in bold.

There are many suggestions that IRCC may be approaching this requirement with some flexibility. While a significant portion of those suggestions are not credible (particularly claims that the applicant does not need to count days prior to becoming a PR), this is something one might expect IRCC to be flexible about. The amount of flexibility, to the extent there is any, may depend on the particular case.

We do not know how strictly this requirement is enforced. It is NOT a qualifying requirement, so IRCC certainly has discretion to be flexible (the related qualifying requirement is no prohibition for a criminal charge in the other country). Reports indicating lax if not virtual non-enforcement in certain circumstances, lack verification and some seem outright suspect.

While we do NOT know for certain how IRCC looks at item 10.b, and the police certificate submitted, in the course of conducting the completeness check, it is probably safe to assume that a photocopy will pass the completeness check. Thus, an applicant could submit the photocopy and be prepared to bring the original to the interview, and likely-worst case scenario is that the interviewer asserts IRCC needs to retain the original.

Perhaps it would be better to give an explanation, "photocopy submitted because . . . ," in the application (in boxes for item 10), and include the photocopy. But sometimes explanations can cause more problems than they resolve.

To pass the completeness check the applicant who checks "yes" in response to item 10.b should BOTH include the certificate AND check the box on the checklist. For those who pay close attention to detail, this could be construed to be a representation that the enclosed certificate is the "original." My guess, but it is indeed just a guess, is that is being a rather bit more technical than necessary, if not anal. But because it is what it is, and it is very difficult to forecast what IRCC will focus on if and when concerns are identified, how to approach this is the applicant's personal decision. (What is alluded to here is more about the difference between the clearly qualified applicant who poses no credibility concerns versus the applicant IRCC might perceive to be suspect and thus go looking for specific details to, in effect, hold against the applicant; vast, vast majority belong to the former, no need to be so concerned about minute details, and nearly all the latter know who they are and why no matter how much they protest otherwise. This should be obvious but this is the internet, so . . . )

By the way, I am quite confident that IRCC is well-acquainted with the practical (not just formal) process of obtaining police certificates from most countries in the world, and particularly so a country like the Philippines. Including how easy or how difficult it is. My guess is that will play into how flexible IRCC might be in the particular situation. I have no idea about the Philippines. But the forum is rife with contradictory claims about various countries, some asserting it is so difficult as to be practically impossible to obtain a certificate from this or that country, while others report obtaining the certificate with little more than some inconvenience. IRCC almost certainly knows, at least for most countries. Including the Philippines. And my guess is that can have some influence in how IRCC handles the individual case.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
"Original" is in bold.
Thanks for the correction; I looked at the application guide to answer alsharma, and the guide doesn't specify they want an original PCC.

It may prove most effective for @alsharma to get a representative or relative in the Philippines to request two PCCs, so they can keep one and mail one to IRCC (making a photocopy of the one that's mailed, in any case, so they have a record for their files).