+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE FROM SHANGHAI, CHINA

AnnaU

Nov 14, 2017
Hi everyone! My name is Anna and I am wondering if you could help me somehow.

I and my partner applied for a PR in October 2016 inland. We live in Montreal. My common-law partner (who is now my fiance as well) is a Canadian citizen and he is my sponsor.

I used to live in Shanghai, China and that’s why I had to provide a Police clearance certificate. At the beginning, friends that I asked to get it for me, told me that the Notary/Police in Shanghai no longer issues them for foreigners. I wrote an explanation letter and sent it along with the certificates from other countries in my application package.

Later in the process, CIC sent an email about Police certificates in general and mentioned that if I sent them at the beginning I can disregard this email. I sent another explanation letter anyway, thinking that they will not ask about it anymore.

I did the medical exam and all the last steps that were required and at this point was just waiting for a decision. A few weeks ago, they sent me another email asking for a proof of me and my partner’s cohabitation together again (even though we sent everything at the beginning) and now they asked about the Chinese police certificate in particular. They said that I could also try to get an official explanation from the Notary/Police in case I won’t be able to get the certificate itself and gave me time till November 25th to submit all the documents or my application can be canceled.

I contacted a lot of people in China and they tried to help me but because I don’t have the whole list of documents from the time I lived in Shanghai that the Notary requires, I won’t be able to get it. And it’s impossible for me to get everything that they require at this point. The list contains some documents that I've never even had. Shanghai requirements are very different from the other Chinese cities. They also didn’t give an official explanation letter either. My friend tried a few different notaries and they said the same thing.

So, I’m little bit desperate here and don’t know what to do. Because I tried everything I could and still don’t have an official proof that I tried to get it but couldn’t. I also called to the Chinese consulate and the Chinese embassy here in Canada to see if they can help me somehow but it wasn't helpful.

Do you have any advice on this? And how crucial do you think it can be if I don’t send the certificate and just send an explanation letter from me again? Maybe there’s another way to at least get an official explanation letter?

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

htpt

Nov 6, 2017
Hey, there did you end up having any success? what was the result?

My partner is kind of in the same boat as you and we are trying to figure out how to go about this.

Thanks

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi everyone! My name is Anna and I am wondering if you could help me somehow.

I and my partner applied for a PR in October 2016 inland. We live in Montreal. My common-law partner (who is now my fiance as well) is a Canadian citizen and he is my sponsor.

I used to live in Shanghai, China and that’s why I had to provide a Police clearance certificate. At the beginning, friends that I asked to get it for me, told me that the Notary/Police in Shanghai no longer issues them for foreigners. I wrote an explanation letter and sent it along with the certificates from other countries in my application package.

Later in the process, CIC sent an email about Police certificates in general and mentioned that if I sent them at the beginning I can disregard this email. I sent another explanation letter anyway, thinking that they will not ask about it anymore.

I did the medical exam and all the last steps that were required and at this point was just waiting for a decision. A few weeks ago, they sent me another email asking for a proof of me and my partner’s cohabitation together again (even though we sent everything at the beginning) and now they asked about the Chinese police certificate in particular. They said that I could also try to get an official explanation from the Notary/Police in case I won’t be able to get the certificate itself and gave me time till November 25th to submit all the documents or my application can be canceled.

I contacted a lot of people in China and they tried to help me but because I don’t have the whole list of documents from the time I lived in Shanghai that the Notary requires, I won’t be able to get it. And it’s impossible for me to get everything that they require at this point. The list contains some documents that I've never even had. Shanghai requirements are very different from the other Chinese cities. They also didn’t give an official explanation letter either. My friend tried a few different notaries and they said the same thing.

So, I’m little bit desperate here and don’t know what to do. Because I tried everything I could and still don’t have an official proof that I tried to get it but couldn’t. I also called to the Chinese consulate and the Chinese embassy here in Canada to see if they can help me somehow but it wasn't helpful.

Do you have any advice on this? And how crucial do you think it can be if I don’t send the certificate and just send an explanation letter from me again? Maybe there’s another way to at least get an official explanation letter?

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!
You can contact a third party service for obtaining the PCC from Shanghai or any Cities in China. Such as the one below:

http://www.beijingesc.com/china-pcc/227-apply-china-pcc-shanghai.html

Please be noted, I don't vouch and am not legally bond for the third party listed above under any circumstances, rather this is a way that I am trying to help people by providing information that might be useful towards their situation. It is your own responsibility to do your own diligence to confirm such a third party service is legal under Chinese Criminal Law.

AnnaU

Nov 14, 2017
Hi guys! I actually wrote a reply with all the details but it wouldn't let me post it because of some kind of "spam content" or/and something else. I sent a message to the tech support but haven't heard from them yet (it was a week ago).

AnnaU

Nov 14, 2017
So, basically, I found a way to get all the missing documents( some of them I had to make myself) but when my friend went back to the Notary, they said that they need all the ORIGINAL documents and my actual passport. Of course, sending my passport across the world was not an option for me. I also didn't have much time left before I had to submit the docs to CIC, that's why I couldn't use any of the services (like the one mentioned above). Even though, when I contacted all of them, they said that if I'm missing some of the required documents, they won't be able to help me anyway. I ended up hiring a lawyer to help me write an affidavit with all the steps I did. And it turned out later (when I got the bill) that I had to pay for that over $900! So, using one of the services in China would be cheaper and they might get some kind of official document I guess. So, maybe that option could work for you, guys. I sent my documents to CIC on November 24th and I haven't heard anything back yet.
If you want, I can attach the links to all the services I contacted, so you know who to talk to.

besc

Jun 30, 2015
So, basically, I found a way to get all the missing documents( some of them I had to make myself) but when my friend went back to the Notary, they said that they need all the ORIGINAL documents and my actual passport.
Hi,

The notary office is difficult to deal with, but if they ask the applicant to send the actual passport to China, that is too much.
Chinapoliceclearance.com is able to help foreigners in getting PCC from Shanghai, and they do not ask for your ACTUAL passport.
Of course, third party service is legal under China's Civil Law.

trindadesn

Sep 12, 2017
Hey, there did you end up having any success? what was the result?

My partner is kind of in the same boat as you and we are trying to figure out how to go about this.

Thanks
hi Htpt,

did you manage to sort the PCC out. I too am facing a similar situation.

thanks

trindadesn

Sep 12, 2017
Hi,

The notary office is difficult to deal with, but if they ask the applicant to send the actual passport to China, that is too much.
Chinapoliceclearance.com is able to help foreigners in getting PCC from Shanghai, and they do not ask for your ACTUAL passport.
Of course, third party service is legal under China's Civil Law.
hi Besc,

I do not have my permanent residency booklet. I had stayed in shanghai 10 yrs ago and no longer have the booklet.

Is there a solution ?

thanks

htpt

Nov 6, 2017
hi Htpt,

did you manage to sort the PCC out. I too am facing a similar situation.

thanks
Hey there, sorry for the delayed reply.

I basically wrote a very detailed LoE of why it was extremely hard to obtain PCC for my gf (with some tips provided by another member who was successful with this).
However, she got a response back today saying that it was insufficient, citing Section 16 of Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: 16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

*basically telling us that she needs to submit a PCC within 30 days.

FORTUNATELY - she obtained in in the city she worked at last month (while we waiting for the reply). The PSB's she visited turned her down, then she went to a notary public and somehow they were successful with helping her obtain it. She got it translated and they couriered it back to her country 2 weeks later. So she'll up load it this week.

I guess it's hit or miss with the LoE - but it does buy some time. If they reject your reasoning - they'll give you a final 30day chance to get it.

Hope that helps!

HT

trindadesn

Sep 12, 2017
Hey there, sorry for the delayed reply.

I basically wrote a very detailed LoE of why it was extremely hard to obtain PCC for my gf (with some tips provided by another member who was successful with this).
However, she got a response back today saying that it was insufficient, citing Section 16 of Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: 16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

*basically telling us that she needs to submit a PCC within 30 days.

FORTUNATELY - she obtained in in the city she worked at last month (while we waiting for the reply). The PSB's she visited turned her down, then she went to a notary public and somehow they were successful with helping her obtain it. She got it translated and they couriered it back to her country 2 weeks later. So she'll up load it this week.

I guess it's hit or miss with the LoE - but it does buy some time. If they reject your reasoning - they'll give you a final 30day chance to get it.

Hope that helps!

HT
Hey thank you for replying,
I am no longer in china and so extremely difficult to get one myself. also i no longer have my alien permit. My stay was over 9 years ago.
Would you mind sharing the exact letter you wrote for the LOE.

much appreciated. thanks
Trindadesn

SJPLAMA

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
hi all,

hope someone can help.
I got the certificate from China that says I don't have any record since I left China in august 2015.
But I been back to China for a 4 week vacation in December 2016.

Does the notary certificate have to include the time I spent in china in 2016 as well?

Thank you

AnnaU

Nov 14, 2017
hi all,

hope someone can help.
I got the certificate from China that says I don't have any record since I left China in august 2015.

Does the notary certificate have to include the time I spent in china in 2016 as well?

Thank you

Based on what I know, you only need to include the time that is more than 6 months. So, I think you are fine.

besc

Jun 30, 2015
hi all,

According to Chinese authorities, they are able to issue police clearance for applicant who stayed in China 6 months without break.
4-week vacation is not able to get PCC from China.