18 feb 2014
AOR Received.
05 june 2014
File Transfer...
25 july 2014
Med's Request
13 Feb 2015
Med's Done....
26 Feb 2015 ( 3rd Line updated on 7 March 2015)
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
26 march 2015
VISA ISSUED...
14 april 2015
LANDED..........
15 May 2015
Hello Members!
I am going to apply for citizenship soon. I came here in May 2015 as PR and never went went back to home country, do i still need police clearance certificate from home country?
Thanks

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Members!
I am going to apply for citizenship soon. I came here in May 2015 as PR and never went went back to home country, do i still need police clearance certificate from home country?
Thanks
There Is an application guide that clearly outlines what’s needed. Have you looked at it?

Reactions: Rustam123

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello Members!
Thanks
This question has been answered frequently. Note that the rule is: If you spent more than 183 days in another country in the last four years you need PCC. If you apply today, the last four years is March 2014-March 2018.

In your case you DID spend more than 183 days abroad, namely March 2014 until May 2015. So you need a PCC.

It is irrelevant if these days are before or after becoming a PR.

Abu Hassaan

Champion Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This question has been answered frequently. Note that the rule is: If you spent more than 183 days in another country in the last four years you need PCC. If you apply today, the last four years is March 2014-March 2018.

In your case you DID spend more than 183 days abroad, namely March 2014 until May 2015. So you need a PCC.

It is irrelevant if these days are before or after becoming a PR.
Well, my experience is different. During the interview, officer told me that period before becoming PR is not important in terms of submitting PCC. He said that PCC is not required to be submitted for the period before becoming PR.

This may be different from officer to officee therefore it is better to submit PCC to be on safe side.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Well, my experience is different. During the interview, officer told me that period before becoming PR is not important in terms of submitting PCC. He said that PCC is not required to be submitted for the period before becoming PR.

This may be different from officer to officee therefore it is better to submit PCC to be on safe side.
It is usually a mistake to answer questions based on how the answer affects the process. The best practice, by far, is to answer questions based on what is a truthful answer to what is asked.

It is remarkable how many forum participants focus on whether they need to provide a police certificate RATHER than simply answering the relevant questions and following the instructions.

Whether an applicant will need to include a police certificate with the application depends on whether the applicant has answered item 10.b "yes." If "yes," the instructions state the applicant needs to EITHER include a police certificate OR explain why not.

Item 10.b DOES NOT ASK if the applicant needs to submit a police certificate. It is NOT appropriate to decide whether a police certificate needs to be included and base the answer to 10.b on that. It goes the other way.

THAT SAID, sure, IRCC is NOT engaged in a GOTCHA game. IRCC does NOT enforce technical requirements (requirements other than those directly affecting qualification) just for the sake of enforcing the requirement. That is, IRCC will not punish or even impose demands on applicants just because they made minor mistakes or did not follow all instructions to the letter.

So sure, many applicants can report they have successfully navigated the process DESPITE not getting every item in the application right, DESPITE a mistake or omission, such as UNTRUTHFULLY answering "no" in response to items like 10.b.

BUT THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING IT RIGHT SHOULD NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED.

Sure, I too showed up at my interview without a translation of stamps not in one of the official languages. I understood the rules, the requirement, and the risks. Took my chances. No problem. Others, however, encounter a demand for a translation resulting in some or a lot delay. (Factors likely to influence how this goes have been addressed in depth in other topics.)

Sure, more than a few report answering "no" in response to item 10.b (or its corollary in the previous version of the application), despite having been in another country more than 183 days in the preceding four years, and for some this goes OK (one might say they have, in effect, gotten away with it, albeit for some applicants this is OK with IRCC if there is no reason to be concerned the applicant has any foreign criminal charges) BUT many others are advised at the Interview or later they must submit a police certificate, resulting in some or a lot delay. So far I have seen no reports of applicants accused of misrepresentation for this, but it has quite likely damaged some applicant's credibility and contributed to some elevated scrutiny.

BUT AGAIN, THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING IT RIGHT SHOULD NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED. In particular, even if relatively quite minor, deviating from the instructions or giving an unimportant erroneous response to this or that item CAN BE PROBLEMATIC if there are additional deviations or errors or omissions AND especially so if the combination of deviations or errors or omissions raises suspicions or otherwise weakens the applicant's credibility. It is best to do it right. It is best to read all questions and respond based on what is asked, truthfully, honestly, accurately and responsively complete, according to the applicant's best understanding. That is what will work the best nearly all the time.

This forum is rife with tales of woe dominated by a failure to follow the instructions or a failure to carefully give accurate and complete responses. For qualified applicants this is avoidable.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
The question on the form is straightforward; it asks if you have spent a total of 183 days or more in a country other than Canada during the last four years. It doesn't say anything about PR status in that question, so the only truthful answer @Rustam123 can give is "yes".

"You must provide a police certificate for each country where you have been present for 183 days or more" also doesn't say that this is only for countries you traveled to after you became PR, so again there is no leeway. You must provide the PCC.

We know that marking "yes" but not including a PCC will cause the application to be returned; multiple people on the forum have reported this happening to them.

Multiple people on this forum who (wrongly) marked "no" were informed at their interview that they had to provide a PCC, and were given 30 days to acquire it (it's possible to ask IRCC to extend that deadline, but that is both added stress and a delay to your application). It seems more comfortable to acquire the PCC now, so you can answer that question truthfully and provide a document the form tells you to include.

There is one report of someone who was told they did not need the PCC.

Of course, you can choose to lie on your application form and not include a document you're told to send. In the end, the choice is yours. After all, you are the one signing at the bottom, declaring the form to be "true, correct and complete".

(But I would strongly recommend you mark "yes" and include a PCC.)

Abu Hassaan

Champion Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is usually a mistake to answer questions based on how the answer affects the process. The best practice, by far, is to answer questions based on what is a truthful answer to what is asked.

It is remarkable how many forum participants focus on whether they need to provide a police certificate RATHER than simply answering the relevant questions and following the instructions.

Whether an applicant will need to include a police certificate with the application depends on whether the applicant has answered item 10.b "yes." If "yes," the instructions state the applicant needs to EITHER include a police certificate OR explain why not.

Item 10.b DOES NOT ASK if the applicant needs to submit a police certificate. It is NOT appropriate to decide whether a police certificate needs to be included and base the answer to 10.b on that. It goes the other way.

THAT SAID, sure, IRCC is NOT engaged in a GOTCHA game. IRCC does NOT enforce technical requirements (requirements other than those directly affecting qualification) just for the sake of enforcing the requirement. That is, IRCC will not punish or even impose demands on applicants just because they made minor mistakes or did not follow all instructions to the letter.

So sure, many applicants can report they have successfully navigated the process DESPITE not getting every item in the application right, DESPITE a mistake or omission, such as UNTRUTHFULLY answering "no" in response to items like 10.b.

BUT THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING IT RIGHT SHOULD NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED.

Sure, I too showed up at my interview without a translation of stamps not in one of the official languages. I understood the rules, the requirement, and the risks. Took my chances. No problem. Others, however, encounter a demand for a translation resulting in some or a lot delay. (Factors likely to influence how this goes have been addressed in depth in other topics.)

Sure, more than a few report answering "no" in response to item 10.b (or its corollary in the previous version of the application), despite having been in another country more than 183 days in the preceding four years, and for some this goes OK (one might say they have, in effect, gotten away with it, albeit for some applicants this is OK with IRCC if there is no reason to be concerned the applicant has any foreign criminal charges) BUT many others are advised at the Interview or later they must submit a police certificate, resulting in some or a lot delay. So far I have seen no reports of applicants accused of misrepresentation for this, but it has quite likely damaged some applicant's credibility and contributed to some elevated scrutiny.

BUT AGAIN, THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING IT RIGHT SHOULD NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED. In particular, even if relatively quite minor, deviating from the instructions or giving an unimportant erroneous response to this or that item CAN BE PROBLEMATIC if there are additional deviations or errors or omissions AND especially so if the combination of deviations or errors or omissions raises suspicions or otherwise weakens the applicant's credibility. It is best to do it right. It is best to read all questions and respond based on what is asked, truthfully, honestly, accurately and responsively complete, according to the applicant's best understanding. That is what will work the best nearly all the time.

This forum is rife with tales of woe dominated by a failure to follow the instructions or a failure to carefully give accurate and complete responses. For qualified applicants this is avoidable.
I appreciate your detailed analysis but just to make it clear, I haven't said or recommended to answer NO against question 10.b or answer untruthfully. Attaching explanation letter for such situations is the key.

Abu Hassaan

Champion Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is interesting to see how few forum mates assume something which others haven't said or even meant.

Rustam123

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28th april 2014
Doc's Request.
15 jan 2015
Nomination.....
18 feb 2014
AOR Received.
05 june 2014
File Transfer...
25 july 2014
Med's Request
13 Feb 2015
Med's Done....
26 Feb 2015 ( 3rd Line updated on 7 March 2015)
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
26 march 2015
VISA ISSUED...
14 april 2015
LANDED..........
15 May 2015
Thanks to all members for detail reply.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It may be worth observing that even recently I have seen someone advocate that answering "no" to the question:
"During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada [No] [Yes]"
is "truthful" even if in fact the person actually did live outside Canada during the eligibility period.

Literally, a forum participant literally urged that "no" is a truthful answer to this question even if the person actually, in fact, lived outside Canada during the eligibility period. (Whether or not such an answer works is a separate question from whether it is a truthful answer.)

There is a lot of conflating what works sometimes, or even what worked one time, or three, with how others should approach answering particular items in the application.

There is no reliable substitute for answering the questions as honestly and accurately as the applicant himself or herself can based on his or her own best understanding of the question and what is an honest and accurate answer to the question, the question asked. Occasionally there are exceptions. CIC and IRCC forms are not perfect for all applicants in all situations. BUT the applicant who makes a diligent effort to honestly and accurately respond to the questions asked, and follow the instructions, will give himself or herself the best chance for success, the best chance for sailing through the process without being diverted by a non-routine process.

Crafting answers according to what the applicant thinks IRCC wants is a recipe for disappointment, risking non-routine processing at the least, even if this sometimes works. Best to answer the question asked, and answer it directly, and follow the instructions.

Reactions: sns204

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hi

English is not my maternal language,

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

I got confused. I need to provide a police certificate, the period is the last 4 years,,, what is the real meaning “since you were 18”. I was 18 in 1985, so I have to provide a police certificate since I was 18? Or just the 4-year period?

Or that is for those people that was not 18 in the 4-year period?

Thanks

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Dear all,
I have a quick query regarding requirement of Police certificate for Citizenship application.

My spouse and myself are going to apply for citizenship next week.

Prior to moving to Canada in April 2017 my wife was in her native country, so I believe she is exempted for submitting police certificate. Please state if this is correct?

Also, I was working in Saudi Arabia prior to moving to Canada, now the problem is that you can only get Police certificate if you are currently and physically present in Saudi Arabia. Off course, I am no longer living in Saudi Arabia, does it mean I am also exempted to provide Police certificate?

Please clarify?
Much appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dear all,
I have a quick query regarding requirement of Police certificate for Citizenship application.

My spouse and myself are going to apply for citizenship next week.

Prior to moving to Canada in April 2017 my wife was in her native country, so I believe she is exempted for submitting police certificate. Please state if this is correct?

Also, I was working in Saudi Arabia prior to moving to Canada, now the problem is that you can only get Police certificate if you are currently and physically present in Saudi Arabia. Off course, I am no longer living in Saudi Arabia, does it mean I am also exempted to provide Police certificate?

Please clarify?
Much appreciated.
1. When all else fails, read the instructions.
2. If you do not have current legal residence status in Saudi Arabia, you are not required to provide a Saudi Arabian police certificate. If you are asked for a police certificate from Saudi Arabia, write: “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Saudi Arabia because certificates are only available to people who have current legal residence status.”

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Hi

1. When all else fails, read the instructions.
2. If you do not have current legal residence status in Saudi Arabia, you are not required to provide a Saudi Arabian police certificate. If you are asked for a police certificate from Saudi Arabia, write: “I cannot provide a police certificate for the time I spent in Saudi Arabia because certificates are only available to people who have current legal residence status.”
Thanks for your valuable response - Much appreciated.
This means both me and my spouse are exempted from providing Police certificate as part of citizenship application.
I will write down note in the explain section of the question.