+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate Request

RockyStar1985

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hello All,

I have submitted my citizenship application and today received a request to provide a police certificate for my previous country where my stay was more than 183 days but not in the last 4 years.

• I lived in Ireland since 2013 till Oct 2020.
  • Got my PR in May 2018. I did a short landing and finally moved to Canada in October 2020. I was in Ireland from May 2018 - Oct 2020 = 2 years and 5 months.
  • Applied for citizenship in May 2024, so 4 year period will be from May 2020 to May 2024 - during this period I stayed in Ireland for 154 days (May 2020 - Oct 2020) which is less than 183.

while applying I mentioned that I did not stay for more than 183 days in any country during last 4 years.

Has anyone faced a similar issue before?
Was wondering If I should provide this explanation via webform or get a Police certificate (it may take some time and effort).

Thanks all.

RockyStar1985

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Thank you for responding. I appreciate that.
yeah, that's what i am leaning towards. It's just getting the application mailed to Ireland Garda, they don't have any online tool/process to do that.

CanGoldDigger

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
Thank you for responding. I appreciate that.
yeah, that's what i am leaning towards. It's just getting the application mailed to Ireland Garda, they don't have any online tool/process to do that.
Try to google it, there could be some private companies that do such requests on your behalf. It's often the case in many countries.

Reactions: RockyStar1985

CanGoldDigger

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
Irish people living abroad
Generally, if you are an Irish person living abroad it is not possible to get a Police Certificate from Ireland unless you need it for:

• Visa purposes
  • Applying for residency in another country
However, if you are living abroad and require a Police Certificate from Ireland for something like a job, you could get in touch with the local police in the country where you now live. Explain to them what you require and they may get in touch on your behalf with your nearest police station here in Ireland and request this information.

Reactions: RockyStar1985

RockyStar1985

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ye
Irish people living abroad
Generally, if you are an Irish person living abroad it is not possible to get a Police Certificate from Ireland unless you need it for:

• Visa purposes
  • Applying for residency in another country
However, if you are living abroad and require a Police Certificate from Ireland for something like a job, you could get in touch with the local police in the country where you now live. Explain to them what you require and they may get in touch on your behalf with your nearest police station here in Ireland and request this information.
Thanks, yes, I saw the above from citizeninformation.ie, I am going to the local police station today to ask them.

RockyStar1985

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
For those looking for clarification, I spoke to the Garda (police) in Ireland and got below. I will update this post once I receive my certificate.

For Irish Police Certificate, you may do so by emailing them below -

• Completed Police Certificate Application (This can be downloaded from garda website)
• A certified copy of your passport, driving license, or similar for identification purposes.
• Proof of current address and/or proof of previous addresses (utility bill, bank statement, etc.)

Please note police Certificates are issued solely for the following purposes:
1. Foreign Consular Authorities / Foreign Visas [e.g. applications, naturalization and/or other immigration matters]
2. Establishing or registering a Business in another EU Member State
3. Employment in the EU Institutions
4. Development / Humanitarian / Aid Workers deployed Overseas on behalf of a Registered Non-Governmental Organisation with supporting documentation issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and/or any other Statutory Agency related to the activity concerned.
5. Irish Citizens participating and/or engaging in an accredited academic program on a full-time basis for a minimum period of one academic year with a recognized Third Level Educational Institution (in the Host State) outside of this jurisdiction.

Please note that Police Certificates take approximately four (4) weeks to process from the date all required documents are received.

Vivaan12

Dec 25, 2022
My case is also very similar to your case.
I moved to Canada from USA in November 2nd 2020 and about to submit the citizenship application on June 1st 2024.
So, I will have continuously spent 3 years, 6 months, 30 days in Canada at the time of submitting the application. My stay is less than 185 days (185-30= 155 days) outside USA, by almost a month.
I am getting a little bit anxious on this and thinking if I should quickly get the police clearance certificate from US and submit it? OR should i select No and not submit it, as its still 30 days less.
If I proactively provide police clearance certificate, then what should i answer to question on "have you spent more than 185 days in past 4 years in another country"?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I moved to Canada from USA in November 2nd 2020 and about to submit the citizenship application on June 1st 2024.
So, I will have continuously spent 3 years, 6 months, 30 days in Canada at the time of submitting the application. My stay is less than 185 days (185-30= 155 days) outside USA, by almost a month.
I am getting a little bit anxious on this and thinking if I should quickly get the police clearance certificate from US and submit it? OR should i select No and not submit it, as its still 30 days less.
If I proactively provide police clearance certificate, then what should i answer to question on "have you spent more than 185 days in past 4 years in another country"?
You should not submit PCC.

Reactions: Vivaan12

RockyStar1985

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
I agree with forw.jane - you should not submit PCC. I think they won't ask because of North America presence vs Ireland in my case. If you submit PCC - it would imply that you stayed out of Canada for > 183 days in last 4 years which is not true in your case.
Let them review and ask. They will provide 60 days from the day they ask to get the PCC.

Reactions: Vivaan12

Vivaan12

Dec 25, 2022
I agree with forw.jane - you should not submit PCC. I think they won't ask because of North America presence vs Ireland in my case. If you submit PCC - it would imply that you stayed out of Canada for > 183 days in last 4 years which is not true in your case.
Let them review and ask. They will provide 60 days from the day they ask to get the PCC.
Thank you and forw.jane for clarification.