+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate - Hong Kong

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

Can someone who had experience applying for the police certificate (AKA Certificate of No Criminal Conviction) advise how did you proceed with the payment?

On the website, it states that "[a] bank draft of the amount of HK$210 per person, made payable to "The government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region [is needed and] must be payable in Hong Kong."

I went to TD bank for a draft and they advised that it might cause delay as TD is NOT a recognized bank in Hong Kong.

Did you ask someone in Hong Kong to to purchase a bank draft on your behalf, did you purchase a bank draft here (which bank if I may ask?), or did you pay them via some other payment methods?

TIA.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Never mind what the bank teller told you. When you go to a Canadian bank to buy a bank draft in HK dollar, the bank draft will be issued by a correspondence bank in Hong Kong. The money is available right away.

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
Thank you so much!

I was able to call the general inquiry line last night (morning time in Hong Kong) and spoke to an officer to verify this. She said it should be fine but also advised me to write down my email address on the application form for future correspondence; should they have any issues related to payment or the application, they would be able to contact me via email.

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
Can someone who had mailed the police certificate request to Hong Kong advise how long did it take for CIC or you to get the result back?

CIC requested additional documents (i.e., relationship proof, police certificates, fingerprints, etc.). Not sure if I should wait for the police certificate from Hong Kong before sending in the rest of the documents or not.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
spiderlily said:
Can someone who had mailed the police certificate request to Hong Kong advise how long did it take for CIC or you to get the result back?

CIC requested additional documents (i.e., relationship proof, police certificates, fingerprints, etc.). Not sure if I should wait for the police certificate from Hong Kong before sending in the rest of the documents or not.
It should take about 4 weeks for the HK policy to complete the search. HK Policy will send the cert. directly to HKVO, therefore you should send the additional documents to CIC ASAP.

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
mad_hatter said:
It should take about 4 weeks for the HK policy to complete the search. HK Policy will send the cert. directly to HKVO, therefore you should send the additional documents to CIC ASAP.
Wow, I wasn't quite expecting that long. Thank you for the info!

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
spiderlily said:
Wow, I wasn't quite expecting that long. Thank you for the info!
That was what the policy dept. told us, however, they also said it could be sooner if there are not too many requests.

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
mad_hatter said:
That was what the policy dept. told us, however, they also said it could be sooner if there are not too many requests.
How did you know when they completed the check and sent the result to CIC? Did it reflect on ECAS or did you call them(HK police)?

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
spiderlily said:
How did you know when they completed the check and sent the result to CIC? Did it reflect on ECAS or did you call them(HK police)?

You will need to call the HK police or send a case specific enquiry to CIC.

spiderlily

Apr 2, 2015
mad_hatter said:
Send your enquiry by using the CIC web form http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Make sure you select Hong Kong as the VO.
Thanks again, mad_hatter.

I figured I will start by asking the HK Police on the status. They were able to confirm that the certificate is being issued today and will be mailed to Mississauga CPC directly tomorrow. He said it would take about 3 weeks for it to arrive. One less thing to follow up. Yay!

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
spiderlily said:
Thanks again, mad_hatter.

I figured I will start by asking the HK Police on the status. They were able to confirm that the certificate is being issued today and will be mailed to Mississauga CPC directly tomorrow. He said it would take about 3 weeks for it to arrive. One less thing to follow up. Yay!
When did you apply for the PCC?