+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate from your country of origin

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
I was just going over the police clearance certificate requirement for CEC, and in the guide it says

"These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18."

As for my case, I turned 18 on June 2004 and joined university in Canada on September 2004. Since joining univ here, I went back home for summer (4 months in one case) several times but never went away for 6 months straight. So technically I never lived in any country other than Canada for 6 consecutive months since reaching the age of 18.

I know couple of my friends are in the same situation (one of them was under 18 when he joined univ here and had to get all kinds of guardian authorization and what not to join school).

Anyway, my obvious question for the seasoned members is, do I need to get a PCC. Or is it hard to win with this technicality and I am better off getting one (but you all know how challenging it can be getting your PCC from your country of origin when you are here).

Will appreciate all kinds of comments/suggestions/thoughts. Thanks

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
I dont quite know but personally , I came to Canada in 2004 to join a University. I have spent all my life in Bangladesh and I am in the process of getting my PCC for CEC. Im not taking a chance as its part of the check list. Even a lawyer asked me to apply without it and tell immigration i hav applied for it. I am waitin on it and intend not to apply till its in my hands.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
spellbinder said:
I was just going over the police clearance certificate requirement for CEC, and in the guide it says

"These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18."

As for my case, I turned 18 on June 2004 and joined university in Canada on September 2004. Since joining univ here, I went back home for summer (4 months in one case) several times but never went away for 6 months straight. So technically I never lived in any country other than Canada for 6 consecutive months since reaching the age of 18.

I know couple of my friends are in the same situation (one of them was under 18 when he joined univ here and had to get all kinds of guardian authorization and what not to join school).

Anyway, my obvious question for the seasoned members is, do I need to get a PCC. Or is it hard to win with this technicality and I am better off getting one (but you all know how challenging it can be getting your PCC from your country of origin when you are here).

Will appreciate all kinds of comments/suggestions/thoughts. Thanks
You don't need to get a PCC because since the age of 18, you have not stayed outside of Canada for more than 6 continuous months.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I think you will need it. Despite the uncertainty in the rules, others in your situation have been asked for it. If it is difficult to obtain, better start ASAP.

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
jes_ON said:
I think you will need it. Despite the uncertainty in the rules, others in your situation have been asked for it. If it is difficult to obtain, better start ASAP.
yup, after going around asking various ppl, the conclusion was everyone in the same situation (who thought they were exempted) was eventually asked for a PCC anyway. Asking for a new document in the middle of the process can apparently delay your application from 1-3+ months, so everyone advised me to send the PCC along with the rest of the application once I get it.

Thanks for the input everyone.