+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate - Criminal Background Check

sunny2710

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My partner and I are preparing at the moment my PR application. I was 100% sure, that I can apply online in Austria for my police certificate, which I must include in the application. Now the Austrian Government wrote me, that I must show up in person to get my police certificate, but I am in Canada right now. So I looked on the Austrian Embassy Homepage in Ottawa and there is written, that I have to show up also in person ! So does that mean, that I must fly from the East Coast in New Brunswick all the way to Ottawa ? ???

thank you for any answers !

apt2208

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-SEP-2013
File Transfer...
01-OCT-2013
Med's Done....
01-AUG-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
07-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
17-May-2014
sunny2710 said:
My partner and I are preparing at the moment my PR application. I was 100% sure, that I can apply online in Austria for my police certificate, which I must include in the application. Now the Austrian Government wrote me, that I must show up in person to get my police certificate, but I am in Canada right now. So I looked on the Austrian Embassy Homepage in Ottawa and there is written, that I have to show up also in person ! So does that mean, that I must fly from the East Coast in New Brunswick all the way to Ottawa ? ???

thank you for any answers !
This is what I found on the CIC website:

If you live outside of Austria:
You should apply at the Austrian embassy or consulate with the necessary documentation.

Its not clear if you have to go there personally but if that's what it says on their hompage, then you should follow that or call them to confirm

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
As far as I know it is not necessary to apply in person, you can mail the request together with the pricessing fees included.

sunny2710

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you for your answers :) .... i will try to find that request form and hope I can include it in my application.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
sunny2710 said:
thank you for your answers :) .... i will try to find that request form and hope I can include it in my application.
Aslo note that you dont have to submit the police checks when you initially send in your application, send it in later when you get it.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
browntrout said:
Aslo note that you dont have to submit the police checks when you initially send in your application, send it in later when you get it.
If you don't include the police certificates your application might be returned

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
little_apple said:
If you don't include the police certificates your application might be returned
no thats incorrect, ask them yourself if you dont believe me.

sunny2710

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for the late respond and thank you everybody for your answers !

So I contacted the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa per mail and asked them, if there is any other way to get to my police certificate. But its good to know now, that I don`t need to include it in my application. Since I am at the moment tangled up in all the papers we submit in my PR application, I got confused and was not sure if I must also do in front my meds. But as I could see, CIC will contact me then, when I have to do them, is that correct ?

thank you everybody.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
sunny2710 said:
Sorry for the late respond and thank you everybody for your answers !

So I contacted the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa per mail and asked them, if there is any other way to get to my police certificate. But its good to know now, that I don`t need to include it in my application. Since I am at the moment tangled up in all the papers we submit in my PR application, I got confused and was not sure if I must also do in front my meds. But as I could see, CIC will contact me then, when I have to do them, is that correct ?

thank you everybody.
If you do not include your PCC and your medicals up front with your application, you are only going to make your waiting time that much longer while they find out it's not there, send you the required request to get them done, give you x amount of time to comply, shelf your application while they wait, so on and so forth. It is far far better, in my opinion to include both your PCC and your medical. Also, if you are applying OUTLAND you must include these items as you really do risk your application being returned as incomplete. Browntrout says "call them they'll tell you" however, I think if you called them 5 times you would get 5 different answers. CIC call center can't always be trusted to give correct advice regarding their own policies. Many of us here have been there, done that and can direct you where you might get proper information that will help rather than hinder you.

By not including those documents up front you are going to hinder your application. On the flip side, there is always a 'chance' that your medical will expire before your file is processed, however, the VO's have been found to extend the medicals more often than not and second medicals are more rare now then they used to be.

Good luck!