+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate confusion

IanBradbury

Oct 29, 2016
Hello all

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to read this. My wife is Canadian and we are applying for a spousal visa. The UK is my country of birth, however from Jan 2018 to December 2019 i lived in Ireland and have recently moved back to the UK whilst i wait for the visa.

The options on IMM5533 to tick for the countries i have to submit a police certificate for are uncertain in my situation:
  • The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for 6 months or more; and
  • The country where you have lived most of your life since the age of 18
I'm not clear because i'm technically back in the UK now (although only for 3 weeks) so option 1 doesn't apply as i haven't lived here for more than 6 months, so then i have ticked option 2 and put the country as England. It just feels weird as technically the country for both is the same...England. But i'm just wondering if really i need to get a police certificate for Ireland as well, despite the fact i no longer live there.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice!

Kind regards

Ian

mimimi

Feb 5, 2020
I have the exact same question!

In my case, Japan is the country I have lived most of my life since the age of 18, and I have lived in Australia for a year and in Canada for 15 months.

Also, I hear many people talking about getting a police certificate from every country where you have stayed for more than 6 months, but it doesn't say anything like that on the checklist or the CIC website, does it?

I'm so confused.