+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate - Canada one required?

neondino

Jan 3, 2018
Applying for family class sponsorship (spousal), just me.

I came here on a tourist visa from UK and didn't apply for extension, have been here on expired visa for 2yrs. Now gathering police certificates, and not sure if I need one from Canadian police considering there's no evidence I've been living here. I've got my UK one, but should I go get the Canadian one too?

Also my husband is a Canadian citizen and is sponsoring me - the request for police certificates says all family members must provide a certificate - does we need to submit one for him?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018

I came here on a tourist visa from UK and didn't apply for extension, have been here on expired visa for 2yrs. Now gathering police certificates, and not sure if I need one from Canadian police considering there's no evidence I've been living here. I've got my UK one, but should I go get the Canadian one too?

Also my husband is a Canadian citizen and is sponsoring me - the request for police certificates says all family members must provide a certificate - does we need to submit one for him?
He doesn't need one.

Have you submitted your sponsorship application and they have requested the police cert or are you just getting things ready for when they do ask for it?

How old is the uk certificate you currently have in your possession?

You may not need a Canadian one, unless they specifically ask for it. It is a possibility they will but more often than not they don't ask as they can, if they want to, do their own Canada checks.

And the fact that you will have to state where you "currently reside" will show them that you are in fact in Canada. They will also be able to clearly see that from your immigration/passport info, you never left Canada.

neondino

Jan 3, 2018
He doesn't need one.

Have you submitted your sponsorship application and they have requested the police cert or are you just getting things ready for when they do ask for it?

How old is the uk certificate you currently have in your possession?

You may not need a Canadian one, unless they specifically ask for it. It is a possibility they will but more often than not they don't ask as they can, if they want to, do their own Canada checks.

And the fact that you will have to state where you "currently reside" will show them that you are in fact in Canada. They will also be able to clearly see that from your immigration/passport info, you never left Canada.
I've submitted, got my AOR, and they've requested the police certs. UK one is winging its way right now, so will be current.

Abigael Yaya

Jan 4, 2018

Only the principal applicant needs the police check my dear, you need to use the one from the UK, my sister is in the same situation as yours and she did the same