+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate and open work permit

Kay17

Feb 10, 2009
Ontario
Hi,

My husband I and have been applying for my permanent residency (within Canada). He is a Canadian Citizen and I am British. Yesterday we recieved a letter saying that I satisfied the requirements to become a PR and that they want me to provide them with a Police Certificate to complete the application. They said that in the mean time I can apply for an "Open Work Permit". I just wanted to know how long each thing will take, whether its worth applying for the work permit. I dont want to pay the money for the work permit only for the PR application to be completed before.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kay17 said:
Hi,

My husband and have been applying for my permanent residency (within Canada). He is a Canadian Citizen and I am British. Yesterday we recieved a letter saying that I satisfied the requirements to become a PR and that they want me to provide them with a Police Certificate to complete the application. They said that in the mean time I can apply for an "Open Work Permit". I just wanted to know how long each thing will take, whether its worth applying for the work permit. I dont want to pay the money for the work permit only for the PR application to be completed before.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!
1. Assuming they want a UK police permit, takes about 4 weeks. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/united-kingdom.asp
2. depends on the office that finalizes the application, Etobicoke could be up to a year, others 3/4 months.

PMM

Kay17

Feb 10, 2009
Ontario
Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify, the 3/4 months to a year was for the open work permit or for them to process the Police Certificate and finish off the Permanent Residency?

Thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Kay17 said:
Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify, the 3/4 months to a year was for the open work permit or for them to process the Police Certificate and finish off the Permanent Residency?

Thanks again
97 days for work permit.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

jsdd85

Nov 5, 2012
1.a work permit with the same employer
2.restoration of a temporary resident status as a worker
3.a work permit with new employer
4.initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit

HI pmm, can i ask which check box/option should we mark for the application of the opwn work permit? thank you so much. :)