+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate and home country's obsession with controlling females

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
So when we're asked to fill the form to request a police verification certificate, the country, let's called it P, asks (only) women if they are married -- another way of keeping women on the leash. The marriage in this case took place abroad and was an interfaith union of Muslim woman and non-Muslim man which is banned in country P and due to which reason the marriage was not declared in country P. The level of illegality and taboo in this case is the same as gay marriages, if not worse.

In this case, the female will not be declaring her marriage in order to get the police certificate and will just pass herself of as "daughter of" as opposed to "wife of" which married women in country P are expected to do. I hope Canadian authorities get it?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So when we're asked to fill the form to request a police verification certificate, the country, let's called it P, asks (only) women if they are married -- another way of keeping women on the leash. The marriage in this case took place abroad and was an interfaith union of Muslim woman and non-Muslim man which is banned in country P and due to which reason the marriage was not declared in country P. The level of illegality and taboo in this case is the same as gay marriages, if not worse.

In this case, the female will not be declaring her marriage in order to get the police certificate and will just pass herself of as "daughter of" as opposed to "wife of" which married women in country P are expected to do. I hope Canadian authorities get it?
Canada does not care. If you're wondering if they will find it odd that your police certificate does not show you are married - they do not care. You can include a short letter of explanation to make it explicit to them though why there is this discrepancy.

Reactions: Femme38

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
Canada does not care. If you're wondering if they will find it odd that your police certificate does not show you are married - they do not care. You can include a short letter of explanation to make it explicit to them though why there is this discrepancy.
Thank you armoured. Relieved to know this.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you armoured. Relieved to know this.
I wrote 'does not care' and probably not the best phrasing, I meant will not be held against you. It's not an issue from Canadian point of law, etc.

But it is a good idea to write short letter of explanation so that it's clear why the discrepancy exists.

I suspect that more than 'do not care' there will be some sympathy and understanding of the situation.

But bottom line is it's not relevant to your file/validity of your marriage. They will be looking to see that the marriage is valid in the country where performed, and that the relationship is genuine; Canada does not care what your respective religions are.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
I wrote 'does not care' and probably not the best phrasing, I meant will not be held against you. It's not an issue from Canadian point of law, etc.

But it is a good idea to write short letter of explanation so that it's clear why the discrepancy exists.

I suspect that more than 'do not care' there will be some sympathy and understanding of the situation.

But bottom line is it's not relevant to your file/validity of your marriage. They will be looking to see that the marriage is valid in the country where performed, and that the relationship is genuine; Canada does not care what your respective religions are.
I get what you're saying, this is also why the marriage isn't in-country and we'll explain it along with the relevant laws. Imo, the purpose of the police certificate is to make sure the applicant isn't a threat to Canada or Canadians and not whether the applicant reported their foreign marriage to the country of residence.

Yeah I suppose they will understand the situation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I get what you're saying, this is also why the marriage isn't in-country and we'll explain it along with the relevant laws. Imo, the purpose of the police certificate is to make sure the applicant isn't a threat to Canada or Canadians and not whether the applicant reported their foreign marriage to the country of residence.

Yeah I suppose they will understand the situation.
Yes, you're correct, it's not at all about the marriage situation.

There are some countries that have 'family books' and other documents that confirm marriage status. It's not that unusual for e.g. gay applicants to be married outside their home country and not have it reflected in the 'family book' or other civil documents - these are not problem situations for IRCC, and your police certificate doc almost certainly won't be in your case, either.

The letter of explanation: just keep it short and factual, you don't have to justify yourself, you're only explaining why there is this irrelevant (to Canada) discrepancy.

Reactions: Femme38

TootToot

Mar 10, 2020
I have found IRCC to be understanding when a letter is included to explain simple discrepancies like that. I don't have experience in your exact situation, but we had a discrepancy in family information we had to provide (unknown parent, etc.) and they were understanding, no questions were asked about it as long as an explanation was provided.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
I have found IRCC to be understanding when a letter is included to explain simple discrepancies like that. I don't have experience in your exact situation, but we had a discrepancy in family information we had to provide (unknown parent, etc.) and they were understanding, no questions were asked about it as long as an explanation was provided.
That's kind. I'm glad that your family did not have to go through additional pain on their account.

Reactions: Vazira and armoured

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
That sounds like B'desh or Pakistan or GCC. Quite a messed up family law ( Kibatia, non-kitabia blah blah blah BS).

Now as far as immigration in Canada goes, a PCC means this much : you have not committed any crime in a foreign land during your stay there. Simple. All that country need to tell is if you are having any case pending on your name that makes you in-eligible for immigration.

My own usual basic policy is this : Do not lie on any legal document. I don't know whats the process is in "P" but I guess "P" should be making you enter your husband or fathers name (If I understand Mulla mentality behind these laws well).

BTW, was your marriage, a marriage by habit and repute (like Common-law marriages in Canada) OR was it something similar to a court marriage? If it is Common-law marriage then you are absolutely unmarried as far as "P" goes -- if I understand which "P" it is. So, if you state that you are unmarried then its not technically a lie there.

Even if you marriage was by court decree (ie civil union or marriage by registration) then you should fine as their own laws (https://www.loc.gov/law/help/marriage/interfaith-prohibition.php) make your marriage invalid rendering you unmarried in "P".

If possible, get a legal advice in "P" that what will be your marriage situation in "P". If possible avoid giving your real identity in "P". I just don't trust anyone from a messed up school of thought.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
That sounds like B'desh or Pakistan or GCC. Quite a messed up family law ( Kibatia, non-kitabia blah blah blah BS).

Now as far as immigration in Canada goes, a PCC means this much : you have not committed any crime in a foreign land during your stay there. Simple. All that country need to tell is if you are having any case pending on your name that makes you in-eligible for immigration.

My own usual basic policy is this : Do not lie on any legal document. I don't know whats the process is in "P" but I guess "P" should be making you enter your husband or fathers name (If I understand Mulla mentality behind these laws well).

BTW, was your marriage, a marriage by habit and repute (like Common-law marriages in Canada) OR was it something similar to a court marriage? If it is Common-law marriage then you are absolutely unmarried as far as "P" goes -- if I understand which "P" it is. So, if you state that you are unmarried then its not technically a lie there.

Even if you marriage was by court decree (ie civil union or marriage by registration) then you should fine as their own laws (https://www.loc.gov/law/help/marriage/interfaith-prohibition.php) make your marriage invalid rendering you unmarried in "P".

If possible, get a legal advice in "P" that what will be your marriage situation in "P". If possible avoid giving your real identity in "P". I just don't trust anyone from a messed up school of thought.
The legal advice I've gotten in P is that the foreign marriage with a non-Muslim male will be invalid -- it is as illegal here as being in a gay relationship. Attempting to register it in Pakistan can cause significant physical harm and will not be registered here ultimately.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
The legal advice I've gotten in P is that the foreign marriage with a non-Muslim male will be invalid -- it is as illegal here as being in a gay relationship. Attempting to register it in Pakistan can cause significant physical harm and will not be registered here ultimately.
You got your answer. You are unmarried in Pakistan, legally. So, mention it likewise. Mention that you are unmarried and enter your fathers name and be done with it.