+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points for Siblings (HELP)

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
Friends, as usual, we need your help, my brother is trying to claim points for sibling as I am a current PR resident holder but not currently living in Canada. I plan to move for good to Canada next year around Summer, my brother has not completed his application yet, he has just started. My question is if we move to Canada and at the same time he gets the invitation to apply by claiming sibling points, is he eligible to do that? I was following this thread and found that we need to give a leasing document or utility bill, but are there any other requirements like we need to submit income proof or income tax requirements? Please advise!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Friends, as usual, we need your help, my brother is trying to claim points for sibling as I am a current PR resident holder but not currently living in Canada. I plan to move for good to Canada next year around Summer, my brother has not completed his application yet, he has just started. My question is if we move to Canada and at the same time he gets the invitation to apply by claiming sibling points, is he eligible to do that? I was following this thread and found that we need to give a leasing document or utility bill, but are there any other requirements like we need to submit income proof or income tax requirements? Please advise!
He is not eligible.

He cannot claim points in his Express Entry profile until after you have moved to Canada. Moving to Canada at the same time has he receives ITA is too late. Again, he cannot claim points until you have actually moved and are living in Canada.

Reactions: rajoth21

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
He is not eligible.

He cannot claim points in his Express Entry profile until after you have moved to Canada. Moving to Canada at the same time has he receives ITA is too late. Again, he cannot claim points until you have actually moved and are living in Canada.
Thank you very much for the reply! When do you think its not too late? If we move to Canada and sign a leasing agreement and if he receives ITA 2 or 3 months after that is that fine? Also, is the Residency proof the only requirement apart from the other identity and relation proof are all in line? I saw that we need to establish some income requirements for him to claim me as a sibling? Could you please clarify, thank a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the reply! When do you think its not too late? If we move to Canada and sign a leasing agreement and if he receives ITA 2 or 3 months after that is that fine? Also, is the Residency proof the only requirement apart from the other identity and relation proof are all in line? I saw that we need to establish some income requirements for him to claim me as a sibling? Could you please clarify, thank a lot!
His cannot update his Express Entry profile to 'yes' for the sibling question until after you have moved to Canada.

Residency proof is the only requirement - however simply providing a lease agreement isn't always enough to prove residency (anyone can sign a lease agreement and then leave Canada - a lease agreement doesn't necessarily prove you are actually living in Canada). You should have a job and be able to provide employment proof. That's really the best residency evidence.

hasiprana

Jan 17, 2020
Hey Guys,

Needing advice.

My sister has landed, got her PR card, has a bank account, yet doesn’t currently reside in Canada.

I got an ITA based on the fact that she has her PR and I claimed those 15 points.

Now even without the 15 points I am still above the cuttoff by 1 point.

Should I:

1) Decline invitation and reapply and not claiming the 15 points and hoping the next draw will be low enough?

2) Apply and upload a letter (Proof of residency of sibling) mentioning that she did get her PR yet still hasnt done the move yet? Will they just take away 15 points or will they decline the entire application?

Thanks
What is the result, did you able to proceed with this?

hasiprana

Jan 17, 2020
Hi, in similar situation right now. My brother is planning to visit out of Canada for couple of months on vacation while my application is under processing. I don't understand how I can restrict my sibling from traveling or taking vacations. He will still have his car payments and bank payments gng on. will that be good enough. He has been in canada for more than 9 years and still is
What is the update please

hasiprana

Jan 17, 2020
While processing the Express Entry Application, can my sibling who has a Canadian citizenship can temporarily do 11 months course (masters) study in the UK without working over there ? and she is only staying temporarily at the university hall and having the permanent address in her Canada house, she is paying her taxes monthly to her bank account.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
While processing the Express Entry Application, can my sibling who has a Canadian citizenship can temporarily do 11 months course (masters) study in the UK without working over there ? and she is only staying temporarily at the university hall and having the permanent address in her Canada house, she is paying her taxes monthly to her bank account.
No. She needs to be physically living in Canada if you want to claim the 15 points.

hasiprana

Jan 17, 2020
No. She needs to be physically living in Canada if you want to claim the 15 points.
So which means the siblings have no right to travel anywhere (even for short time studies) until the application processed?

I am asking because she is already finshed her 5 months and 6 months remaining and we have been offered invitation for the PNP nomination now. However, if we apply for the PNP to proceed, in 2 months our stage will be in ITA so extra 2/3 months for her to come back to Canada. She is a Canadian citizen and living there for about 7 years and has working history as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So which means the siblings have no right to travel anywhere (even for short time studies) until the application processed?

I am asking because she is already finshed her 5 months and 6 months remaining and we have been offered invitation for the PNP nomination now. However, if we apply for the PNP to proceed, in 2 months our stage will be in ITA so extra 2/3 months for her to come back to Canada. She is a Canadian citizen and living there for about 7 years and has working history as well.
They must be living in Canada. Someone who leaves Canada for close to a year is no longer living here. These are not short time studies - short studies would be a few weeks.

I would personally not claim she is living in Canada when she isn't. You don't want to get anywhere near a misrepresentation finding - but obviously your call. If you have a nomination, then I don't see why you need the sibling points.

hasiprana

Jan 17, 2020
They must be living in Canada. Someone who leaves Canada for close to a year is no longer living here. These are not short time studies - short studies would be a few weeks.

I would personally not claim she is living in Canada when she isn't. You don't want to get anywhere near a misrepresentation finding - but obviously your call. If you have a nomination, then I don't see why you need the sibling points.
My PNP was selected from the Express Entry pool which I have claimed for the sibling's 15 points as well.

Is it okay to mention the actual scenario of my sibling's status in the application to avoid misinterpretation.

MarWil

Jan 3, 2018
Hi,
I am a a permanent resident in Canada.
When submitting information about my senior brother I entered a wrong place of birth for him, but all other information are correct.
Can I request for a change?
I am worried I could not invite my brother if the information about him do not tally with what I submitted.

Will be grateful for your assistance.
thanks

Apoorva_1987

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Sep-2019
IELTS Request
12-Nov-2019
Hi everyone,

My husband's sister has received and ITA and would be receiving her PR card in sometime.

Kindly help with the documents required to claim sibling points (specially the proof of residency - so that I can have them arrange it as soon as they land in Canada)