+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Point of entry dilemma?

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi,

I will come to Canada as TWP in March 2014.
My job is in Calgary but from my city I don't have direct flight to Calgary. When I go to book, I only have MyHometown -> Calgary with one stop. The one stop is in Toronto.
Does this means that my point of entry will be Toronto, or I will be there on terminal and directly switched to Calgary and there I will make my point of entry?
Is there any difference as to what city will be the point of entry?
Would it be any problem if a land in Toronto and I have job offer for Calgary?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
actonis said:
Hi,

I will come to Canada as TWP in March 2014.
My job is in Calgary but from my city I don't have direct flight to Calgary. When I go to book, I only have MyHometown -> Calgary with one stop. The one stop is in Toronto.
Does this means that my point of entry will be Toronto, or I will be there on terminal and directly switched to Calgary and there I will make my point of entry?
Is there any difference as to what city will be the point of entry?
Would it be any problem if a land in Toronto and I have job offer for Calgary?
You "land" at the first port of entry that you have to pass through Immigration Control. As long as you provide an address that the PR card can be sent to where you intend to live, it's not a problem.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
zardoz said:
You "land" at the first port of entry that you have to pass through Immigration Control. As long as you provide an address that the PR card can be sent to where you intend to live, it's not a problem.
So I will finish my landing procedure in Toronto even on my application I declare Calgary as a place to live?
Does it means that I can buy direct ticket to Toronto and than after landing, I can buy new ticket or wait for a cheap last minute ticket at the airport at Toronto?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
actonis said:
So I will finish my landing procedure in Toronto even on my application I declare Calgary as a place to live?
Does it means that I can buy direct ticket to Toronto and than after landing, I can buy new ticket or wait for a cheap last minute ticket at the airport at Toronto?
You won't get a cheap last minute ticket at the airport at Toronto. If you wait this long, you can expect to pay a great deal more than you would if you bought a ticket in advance.

To make sure there are no issues with your work permit being issued, you should already have an onward flight ticket to Calgary when you arrive in Toronto. If you don't have an onward flight to Calgary, immigration officials may find that strange and may get concerned that you have plans to do something other than work in Calgary.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
zardoz said:
This will teach me to fully read the question. I made, incorrectly, the assumption that you were coming in as a PR, not a TFW. However, the principles are similar.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
scylla said:
You won't get a cheap last minute ticket at the airport at Toronto. If you wait this long, you can expect to pay a great deal more than you would if you bought a ticket in advance.

To make sure there are no issues with your work permit being issued, you should already have an onward flight ticket to Calgary when you arrive in Toronto. If you don't have an onward flight to Calgary, immigration officials may find that strange and may get concerned that you have plans to do something other than work in Calgary.
Ok, I check the booking site again, If I buy a ticket to Calgary I have 2h20min stop time in Toronto.
Would this time be sufficient to go through the entry point. I need to be issued my work permit at the point of entry.
What If there is delay in the first flight to Toronto and I arrive 30-45min before the flight to Calgary?
I first have to go through border, pass all the formalities and then to go to find the gate for the Calgary flight?
Anyone with this kind of experience?
I checked other dates and always the time between landing in toronto and calgary flight is 2h20min.
The only option I can thing is to buy separate tickets, one Istanbul-Toronto and the second Toronto-Calgary for the next day?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
actonis said:
Ok, I check the booking site again, If I buy a ticket to Calgary I have 2h20min stop time in Toronto.
Would this time be sufficient to go through the entry point. I need to be issued my work permit at the point of entry.
What If there is delay in the first flight to Toronto and I arrive 30-45min before the flight to Calgary?
I first have to go through border, pass all the formalities and then to go to find the gate for the Calgary flight?
Anyone with this kind of experience?
I checked other dates and always the time between landing in toronto and calgary flight is 2h20min.
The only option I can thing is to buy separate tickets, one Istanbul-Toronto and the second Toronto-Calgary for the next day?
From my recent experience at Toronto, the processing can be reasonably quick. It's the waiting in the queue that's the problem. That can be up to 2 hours... Allow additional time for the possibility of a long line of people doing the same thing as you.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
But the bottom line is that if the flight is late or the processing time at the border takes longer you might loose your flight to Calgary?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
actonis said:
But the bottom line is that if the flight is late or the processing time at the border takes longer you might loose your flight to Calgary?
Yep...

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Hi

2-3 hours to clear through, IS NOT ENOUGH. I agree you clear where you land first in Canada. So buying tickets you should make sure you have more than enough time to get through and to the next gate, whatever that takes.

Calgary is about 1 hour flight from Vancouver. I cleared through Vancouver, and found this a pretty decent port to clear in through. Have a look maybe you can get more favourable flight arrangements via Vancouver.

Good luck and enjoy. Your journey is just beginning.

Cheers!!..

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
The problem is I have 2 option.
Option 1 is 2h layover in Toronto
Option 2 is 4h layover in Toronto
Either way it might not be enough.

My Flight will be SKP-IST then IST-TOR and then TOR-CAL, now for the firs two I will flight with Turkish airlines and I guess when I go to the SKP airport they will issue me 2 tickets. Because I will travel from Tor-cal with air Canada I will need to get my tickets in Pearson Airport?
Before that I will need to collect all of my bags?
Pass the point of entry?
Get the ticket?
Find the gate?
Board?

Any suggestions, coz I don't have lot of experience with flight and changing airlines?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
4hours is probably not enough either.

I would suggest minimum budget 8 hours. Give you a chance to figure things out.

Once you have cleared into Pearson, there are several low cost carrier options that you could consider, and for those you can book flights online ahead of time.

My favourite of the low cost carrier options is West Jet. Look them up online, you will likely find several affordable options there, especially if you book ahead. I also always book the emergency exit seats (for extra $15).. Gives you some nice leg room for the flight to Calgary about 5-6 hours.

Looks to me you have an adventure ahead of you.

Good luck

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
So you are saying to buy ticket to Toronto and then separately to buy one for toronto - calgary.
I guess when I land I will need to have both tickets or at least a reservation for my flight to Calgary as not to look suspicious at the border control?

I am going to flight in February and there is lot of fog this period in my home city so I was hoping if I book tickets upfront SKP-IST-TOR-CAL then if the flight is delayed in Istanbul I will get new ticket for free for the flight to CAL? Or this is not the case?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Not sure about free tickets. Different airlines will have different rules regarding things like that. You would have to study the terms of your ticket purchase (and perhaps contact the airline to ask that question)

Here is one think I would like to say. I found border services personnel quite reasonable, and unless you get hostile with them (which would just be dumb) you will often find them very helpful.

I would be surprised if they really give you a hard time about not having a ticket all the way to Calgary. They would know the challenges of timing flights like these, and if you have a clear answer about why not (if they ask), and what your plans are to get there, this should not be a major issue. Voicing your concern over planning your layover times, and perhaps taking an opportunity (while in Toronto) for a rest and a site seeing tour, will not offend anyone's sensibilities. Canada is not a communist country, and the border controllers are not out to get you... ;D

For all intense and purpose, you could take the greyhound bus to Calgary, to save some money. No one will worry about that much. Especially if your job offer and related paperwork are in order.

Also remember that having a restricted work permit, only affects your ability to work, not your ability to travel within Canada.

If I were you (and assuming you could afford it), especially if you have some concern over the timelines. Plan it so you can stay over in Toronto for at least 24 hours. Catch a rest at a hotel, and maybe even take in some sights.

Make your coming to Canada an adventure. It's an amazing place, so enjoy it..

Good luck!...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NetMecca said:
Canada is not a communist country, and the border controllers are not out to get you... ;D
What do you mean?

China is a communist country, but at border control, Chinese border officers ask far less questions than their Canadian counterparts.