+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POF-Bank doesn't provide info requested by CIC. Asivad & seniors, help needed

_ryersonfs

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Seniors

I went to the bank tried to get the POF, unfortunately they don't provide documents described on CIC website at all, that is the current balance and the 6 month average balance. I am not sure what else should I do next to prepare a solid POF.

1) Background:

I had this money as a gift from my family back in late Feb as a demand deposit / time deposit. Then I converted this money to fixed deposit and froze it in late May, and I haven't touched this money since then.

2) What I can get now are:

> a time deposit/ demand deposit transaction sheet from Late Feb till today.

There are seven rows on this sheet. In the first two rows, there are about 20000CAD(converted by current rate) in the balance column, since I put the money in the bank in Feb and hadn't done anything about it yet. However, there is nearly no balance left from the third row cos I converted the money to fixed deposit in May, and it doesn't show fixed deposit balance. (The third row is when I converted the money to fixed deposit, the rest rows are basically just transactions about service fee deducted per month)

There are a transaction query start date(late Feb) and a end date(today) on the top of this sheet.

This sheet is printed in Chinese without bank letterhead , although there is a stamp from the bank.

> a fixed deposit transaction sheet from May till today

I can also get a fixed deposit sheet which has a transaction query start date(the day I converted the money to fixed deposit) and end date(today).

There is only one row in this fixed deposit sheet with a balance of 20000CAD as I mentioned before.

And this sheet is printed in Chinese without bank letterhead, a stamp from the bank as well.

> a certificate of deposit issued in May

Another thing I have is a certificate of deposit issued on the day when I froze the money(and converted it into fixed deposit on the same day) in English and Chinese with bank stamp.

The information included in this certificate are: 1) name 2) account num 3) balance 4) AND text describing the account owner won't touch this money from 2015/05/XX to 2016/05/XX (since I froze it for one year)

And this certificate is printed on a bank letterhead paper but without bank contact information

> a business card of the bank

Since there is no bank contact info in above files whatsoever, I tried to ask for a business card of the bank staff, but they can only provide me a card with no specific name on it but only the bank name, address, phone number etc.(It is one of the biggest banks in China tho)

3) Questions:

- Do I need to add a letter of explanation in POF? If LOE is needed, Can I just write down what happened to my account and sign my own name on it, will it be valid? Or do I need to get a bank staff to write or sign this letter?

- If I get a ATIO certified translator to translate the transaction sheets, they should be valid, correct?

- do you think I should add other documents to make this POF as convincing as the file described on CIC website? If so, what kind of documents will be helpful in this case?

Thank you so much!

(There is http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/do-i-need-to-add-a-gift-deed-letter-or-not-appreciate-any-advice-t351083.0.html I posted a few days ago and answered by Asivad regarding whether a gift deed letter is needed, if it can help your related question)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As the money has been around for long in your account (mid Feb onward), there is no real reason for an LOE here - nothing to prove or explain as the money has been around for more than 6 months. Just submit bank statements counting back 6 months from Sep 30, that is April 1 - Sep 30, and get them translated and notarized before submission if they aren't in English. Insist on them to be printed on bank letterhead and provide that business card as well.

Requirements for translation ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=040&t=4

_ryersonfs

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Asivad!

I guess I'll go to the bank again to see if there any way to print the transactions on bank letterhead, if not, I'll add a LOE to explain the bank won't provide letterhead letter and hopefully get some bank staff to confirm they don't provide letterhead but the bank transaction is valid.

Thank you as always.

_ryersonfs

Star Member
Aug 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
As the money has been around for long in your account (mid Feb onward), there is no real reason for an LOE here - nothing to prove or explain as the money has been around for more than 6 months. Just submit bank statements counting back 6 months from Sep 30, that is April 1 - Sep 30, and get them translated and notarized before submission if they aren't in English. Insist on them to be printed on bank letterhead and provide that business card as well.

Requirements for translation ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=040&t=4
@Asivad it turns out the bank indeed doesn't have that kind of letterhead paper, and I doubt I can get a letter from the bank staff since they don't have the paper with just letterhead on it. And they say the red stamp is as valid as letterhead

Do you think it is safer if I add a short explanation in the POF document I'll upload later, which indicates that the bank doesn't provide letterhead after all but the stamp is as valid, and sign my own name on it? Or do I need to upload a standalone LOE in the additional document section?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
_ryersonfs said:
@ Asivad it turns out the bank indeed doesn't have that kind of letterhead paper, and I doubt I can get a letter from the bank staff since they don't have the paper with just letterhead on it. And they say the red stamp is as valid as letterhead

Do you think it is safer if I add a short explanation in the POF document I'll upload later, which indicates that the bank doesn't provide letterhead after all but the stamp is as valid, and sign my own name on it? Or do I need to upload a standalone LOE in the additional document section?
Either of the two options would work.