+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP Nomination and Divorce, Please advise

EESK

Oct 24, 2017
Dear All,

I have a bit of a complicated situation.

I received my PNP nomination/invitation recently, I have not submitted my response yet but my personal situation is in turmoil as me and wife are going through a rough time and chances are that we would separate or might even get a divorce. My question is will a divorce affect my PNP invitation? Im the primary applicant, should I apply for PNP even if I'm getting a divorce or should I inform my situation to ircc?

please advise,

thanks

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I have a bit of a complicated situation.

I received my PNP nomination/invitation recently, I have not submitted my response yet but my personal situation is in turmoil as me and wife are going through a rough time and chances are that we would separate or might even get a divorce. My question is will a divorce affect my PNP invitation? Im the primary applicant, should I apply for PNP even if I'm getting a divorce or should I inform my situation to ircc?

please advise,

thanks
the answer is maybe. It really depends under which PNP were you nominated. In some cases spouses can bring you additional points (for example relatives in Canada or to pass certain points treshold).

However divorce itself if there is no points change does not affect the nomination by itself. Of course you have to inform your province if ever you will get divorce or your spouse will become non accompanying.

EESK

Oct 24, 2017
Thank you so much for responding to my post.

PNP is from Ontario, actually if I were to apply on my own today my points would be higher, after marriage my points dropped a bit.

I suppose they invited me on the basis of my married profile and considered my spouse ielts and education.

So I am guessing if we divorce then automatically the PNP will be cancelled?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for responding to my post.

PNP is from Ontario, actually if I were to apply on my own today my points would be higher, after marriage my points dropped a bit.

I suppose they invited me on the basis of my married profile and considered my spouse ielts and education.

Ontario has several streams. The most common is the human priorities stream (you need to have 400+ points there). Also you are trying to prove connections or interests into Ontario, it is nothing to disqualify you even if it was mainly from your spouse side.

So if you are that stream or their French stream or their Masters / PHD stream, there is no problem there.

The situation would have been different for Manitoba for example, where you can get lot of points for having family there, even if it is family of your spouse.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
No. S*** happens. In very rare cases do they go back and renege a PNP nomination, and for an economic-immigration-based program where the spouse is only a dependent, divorce isn't one of them. As vensak mentioned, you may have to inform OINP that your spouse will be non-accompanying.

AFAIK, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), until you have official papers of a legal separation or divorce, you're still considered married. Best you can do from this point onward is to make your spouse non-accompanying.

EESK

Oct 24, 2017
i really appreciate both you for guiding me on this issue, at least now I know that I shouldn’t give up on the PNP and immigration!