+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PN programs...a license to steal?

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
I just learned ,from a co worker, about a situation involving two immigrants (a husband and wife) who are taking advantage of an extremely flawed provincial nominee program. I'd really appreciate everyone's opinion as to whether or not a fraud is being committed and, if so, what I should do about it (if anything).

Here's a brief summary of what has occurred according to a relative of the immigrants involved.

This couple came to Canada with their young son about two years ago as ESL students. When they finished ESL they were both accepted to University to pursue four year degrees and were each granted three year study permits. Just after receiving their study permits the husband applied for and received a spousal work permit that's connected to his wife's study permit. His wife was not in school when he received his work permit and she's still not in school even though she finished ESL 10 months ago and he's had his SOWP for about 9 months.

In the mean time, the husband used his Work Permit to apply for a provincial nomination - which he received. He's also been applying for jobs. To make matters worse, the PN stream he applied to isn't supposed to accept applications from the spouses of foreign students. Even though his wife isn't enrolled in University I would still consider her an international student because she's in Canada on a three year study permit. They're currently waiting for their inland application for PR to be processed.

These people have money so they're literally just hanging out in Canada waiting for their PR. She's not studying (despite her study permit) and he's not working although, as mentioned, he is applying for jobs. Their son attends public school and it's my understanding that he also makes frequent trips to the doctor for treatment of a certain non-life threatening health condition (while the CDN tax payer foots the bill).

My questions are: are these people committing immigration fraud and ,if so, do you think they'll be caught by the officer who's processing their PR application?

Or, are they legitimately using a broken immigration system?

Thanks

jbrown

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Hi there,

Well, this sound totally inappropriate and I'm puzzled that the Province (whichever it was) would violate their own criteria and nominate the spouse of a foreign student (if this is not allowed). It sounds like this could've been a huge oversight on the provincial office's side or perhaps the applicants were not truly honest in their application about their status in Canada.

The wife is clearly violating the conditions of her study permit and they should check the consequences of that as per the new rules of June 1.

Not sure, they'll get caught by CIC. Hopefully they will if the agent does his/her job. If not, it would be a slap in the face to other immigrants who have done it the right way...not fair at all....they would be rewarded with PR for lying?