+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PMM-Marital status question

Groundbeaver

Nov 4, 2012
Hi PMM and all,
I got my COPR today, but another problem comes. In the letter it says that "You must inform us of any change in your martial status before you land in Canada." I included my common-law partner (one year ago) in my application. In 2013 April, my common-law partner and I got the passport request. As indicated, I informed CIC that our two were getting married in May. So one agent called me, I told him all of my situation (getting married, go back to my home country for one month, etc.). Then he told me to "do nothing before I get married and come back to Canada. Once I come back, I can mail our passports to CPP-O." I did so, but the returned VISA shows we are in "Common-Law". So in this case, do I need to inform CIC again that we got married in May or I just need to go to the border and do all the landing stuff. For your convenience, I list the above complicated timeline as:

Application started: Sept. 2012, Relationship: Common-law (Both she and I are included)
Passport request: April. 2013, Relationship: Common-law
Get married: May, 2013, Relationship: Married (The same person in the application ;))
Passport and COPR returned: Aug. 2013

Thank you for your help!

Groundbeaver

Nov 4, 2012
I called CIC call center this morning. They said I need to contact with CPP-O regarding this issue. I don't know what gonna happen.