+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please share your experience about Criminal Rehabilitation application in 2017

kim.dorval77

Sep 7, 2017
Hi everyone, I am new here, but I hired an attorney to help me with my husbands Criminal Rehabilitation and he sent it October 4th to the Embassy in Manila. I used the tracking the post office gave us and it said it arrived October 10th, but I received no confirmation from the actual Embassy.

My question is, has anyone here sent their application to Manila? If so, do you know the processing times at that office? I see Australia looks like 2-8 months but I can't find any information about Manila online! Any help would be great! After almost 5 1/2 months I am getting nervous.

minicamp

Sep 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-16
AOR Received.
24-09-16
File Transfer...
27-09-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Did you hire attorney for your PR application or you are doing your application yourself? I did hire attorney for CR application but not sure if i should i hire attorney for PR application as well.
No, I didn't hire an attorney for either application.

Did the equivalent offense for your cases have a maximum sentence of less than 10 years?
Yeah, the max was lower than 10 years for the equivalents.

minicamp

Sep 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-16
AOR Received.
24-09-16
File Transfer...
27-09-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Well good news. I guess they're getting around to all the 1+ year old criminal rehab applications. Finally got approved.

Was notified by both the criminal rehab people as well as the PR people since that was the only thing they were waiting on.

Good luck to you all.

M

marilamb

I have a few question about Criminal Rehabilitation and Criminal Inadmissibly and since you guys are going through it was well I thought id ask to see what some of you think.

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Well good news. I guess they're getting around to all the 1+ year old criminal rehab applications. Finally got approved.

Was notified by both the criminal rehab people as well as the PR people since that was the only thing they were waiting on.

Good luck to you all.
Congrats man!! How long did it take it for you to get approved? Did you apply criminal rehab and PR at the same time?

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017

Good luck to you all.
My CR was received by Canadian consulate, LA on May 18, 2017. Now i am in the process of gathering all documents for PR. Medical is on April 24th then i will submit all required PR documents.

minicamp

Sep 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-16
AOR Received.
24-09-16
File Transfer...
27-09-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Congrats man!! How long did it take it for you to get approved? Did you apply criminal rehab and PR at the same time?
Thanks. Which thing approved do you mean? And no I didn't file them at the same time. I did PR first, as I didn't think I'd even have to do the criminal rehab route considering how long ago everything was. They asked me to do it at the background check stage of my PR application, which was February 2017.

I got an email a couple days after criminal rehab was approved asking me to get a new RCMP background check to finalize my application. I got that back in the mail about a week later. Sent it in and got PPR another week after that. Everything moved pretty fast once that was approved. Just waiting on CoPR now.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018
Sharing my situation and status as of now, in case it's helpful to anyone.

I'm based in the USA, fall into the "criminality" category (i.e. my case isn't "serious"), and am not eligible for deemed rehab because there are 2 offenses instead of 1.

It took me almost 6 months to gather all required documentation. I sent my package in to the Consulate General in New York at the end of February 2018. I just received notice from them that my app had been received on 09 March 2018, and has been queued for processing as of 04 May 2018. I presume that my package was more or less sitting in a pile in a mailroom someplace for 2 months, just waiting for someone to clip it into a folder.

The backlog is real.

My notification letter states that average processing times at the NY office as of now are between 6 and 12 months, but could take longer.

Now I wait...

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hey guys,

I started this thread long time back to exchange information since there is less information available online. I would like to share my experience. My application was received on May 18, 2017, and then I heard from them two weeks back asking about one additional document. I sent it two weeks back and today they sent me approval notice. It's one-page approval notification that says my case has been approved. In nutshell, it took one year for my application to get approved. Good luck to you all!!

US2CANADA1

Feb 18, 2018
Hey guys,

I started this thread long time back to exchange information since there is less information available online. I would like to share my experience. My application was received on May 18, 2017, and then I heard from them two weeks back asking about one additional document. I sent it two weeks back and today they sent me approval notice. It's one-page approval notification that says my case has been approved. In nutshell, it took one year for my application to get approved. Good luck to you all!!

Congratulations!!!
I am happy to hear about your CR approval.
I have a few questions,
1) What was the date on the letter which stated that your application received date was May 18th, 2017?
My received date is July 24th,2017 and the letter date is September 12th,2017.
2) What was the additional document they asked you to submit? (so that I get prepared with it, in case I didn't provide)
I guess it's current background check/ state clearance/ FBI clearance etc.,

I wish you good luck for your future endeavors.
thanks for sharing

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hi,
Answer to your question:

1) Date on letter was June 2, 2017 and letter indicates that application was received on May 18th, 2017.
2) They asked me my current US visa status since the date on visa was expired when they open my file. That is why i had send the current status. Once they received my document, my case was approved. I did not have any serious criminal charge. It was DUI but i still consider it is a serious issue and i

Congratulations!!!
I am happy to hear about your CR approval.
I have a few questions,
1) What was the date on the letter which stated that your application received date was May 18th, 2017?
My received date is July 24th,2017 and the letter date is September 12th,2017.
2) What was the additional document they asked you to submit? (so that I get prepared with it, in case I didn't provide)
I guess it's current background check/ state clearance/ FBI clearance etc.,

I wish you good luck for your future endeavors.
thanks for sharing

US2CANADA1

Feb 18, 2018
Hi,
Answer to your question:

1) Date on letter was June 2, 2017 and letter indicates that application was received on May 18th, 2017.
2) They asked me my current US visa status since the date on visa was expired when they open my file. That is why i had send the current status. Once they received my document, my case was approved. I did not have any serious criminal charge. It was DUI but i still consider it is a serious issue and i

Thanks for your quick response.
Once again congratulations..

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi Everyone.

I'm from New Zealand and have just sent my application (via lawyer) to consulate in Sydney, Australia. I have a PR application underway since July 2018. In 2011 I was convicted of careless use of a motor vehicle causing injury and charged as that and received a 6 month driving disqualification. In 2012 I traveled to Canada on a WHV (Working Holiday) and disclosed my convictions at the time of application and was approved a visa (I think I was also approved Rehabilitation.) While on my WHV I meet my now fiance and she came to NZ for four years. In July 2017 I applied under family class to move to Canada with her, Her NZ visa expired at the end of May 2018 and she has since returned to Canada waiting for me. I tried to apply for a ESTA but was denied on criminal grounds, even though I have already been to Canada (my working holiday and twice to visit her family via land border crossings - no visitor visa required.)

Due to not obtaining a tourist visa to enter Canada I'm waiting in NZ for my PR and CR to be approved, Sydney VO have only said they would be in touch shortly to discuss my application after emailing them if i need to complete CR. So I just applied for CR instead as I got sick of waiting, I assume they would email in July 2018 stating I needed to complete it anyway so might as well get a head slightly. This is all a bit odd as I've been to Canada before (and behaved myself) but rules are rules!

I'll keep you updated but will only get an update via my lawyer when all is approved as I don't want to email them for any updates as it's a 6 - 12 month processing. I'm hoping since previous entries with good behavior and a Canadian Fiance waiting for me might reduce the waiting time by just a month or two!!!

Tomywhite

Jan 1, 2018
Hi Everyone.

I'm from New Zealand and have just sent my application (via lawyer) to consulate in Sydney, Australia. I have a PR application underway since July 2018. In 2011 I was convicted of careless use of a motor vehicle causing injury and charged as that and received a 6 month driving disqualification. In 2012 I traveled to Canada on a WHV (Working Holiday) and disclosed my convictions at the time of application and was approved a visa (I think I was also approved Rehabilitation.) While on my WHV I meet my now fiance and she came to NZ for four years. In July 2017 I applied under family class to move to Canada with her, Her NZ visa expired at the end of May 2018 and she has since returned to Canada waiting for me. I tried to apply for a ESTA but was denied on criminal grounds, even though I have already been to Canada (my working holiday and twice to visit her family via land border crossings - no visitor visa required.)

Due to not obtaining a tourist visa to enter Canada I'm waiting in NZ for my PR and CR to be approved, Sydney VO have only said they would be in touch shortly to discuss my application after emailing them if i need to complete CR. So I just applied for CR instead as I got sick of waiting, I assume they would email in July 2018 stating I needed to complete it anyway so might as well get a head slightly. This is all a bit odd as I've been to Canada before (and behaved myself) but rules are rules!

I'll keep you updated but will only get an update via my lawyer when all is approved as I don't want to email them for any updates as it's a 6 - 12 month processing. I'm hoping since previous entries with good behavior and a Canadian Fiance waiting for me might reduce the waiting time by just a month or two!!!
Hi mate, I was in the same situation as you no more than a week ago, in a nutshell my Canadian fiance had to go back to resume her career and left me here with convictions and inadmissible problems to deal with, although my convictions were quite serious having multiple serious assault charges and previous travel also to Canada I was up front and honest with the Sydney consulate and let them know my fiance and her family were waiting for me, also I had her parents right a letter of character for me to send along with the others. I let them know I wanted to travel in the next couple of months and they responded with a positive email saying they will endeavor to meet my travel plans. I was originally told the wait was between 2-8 months but I was notified last week on the 3rd month which was when they said they'd try to approve it by with good news. I am flying in next month with my letter of approval. I wish you both the best of luck as these times can be difficult and heartbreaking but there is a light!

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi mate, I was in the same situation as you no more than a week ago, in a nutshell my Canadian fiance had to go back to resume her career and left me here with convictions and inadmissible problems to deal with, although my convictions were quite serious having multiple serious assault charges and previous travel also to Canada I was up front and honest with the Sydney consulate and let them know my fiance and her family were waiting for me, also I had her parents right a letter of character for me to send along with the others. I let them know I wanted to travel in the next couple of months and they responded with a positive email saying they will endeavor to meet my travel plans. I was originally told the wait was between 2-8 months but I was notified last week on the 3rd month which was when they said they'd try to approve it by with good news. I am flying in next month with my letter of approval. I wish you both the best of luck as these times can be difficult and heartbreaking but there is a light!
Thank you for sharing your story and positive result. I've always been honest and upfront with my conviction in Canada/USA and Australia. I've emailed Sydney few times stating my conviction and what I should do. I asked them to hold my application for PR and not refuse it as I'm sending my CR application soon. My partner is returning to Canada and I'll wait etc although no reply in detail from them I'm hoping when it arrives on their desk and they process everything including my PR before my meds expire in August.

Can you clarify your timeline for CR. I might have read it wrong but you missed the date you got approved?

Thanks again for sharing your story. There is not much info out there about CR and time frames.