+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help!!

LouLou

Mar 11, 2008
Hi there

I am really hoping someone can help... I've been trawling through the internet but getting confused messages from different "official" websites.

My Fiance is Canadian and lives in Canada. I am British and live in England.

I have the right to visit him in Canada without a visa, and am entitled to stay there for 4 months as a visitor before leaving. I can leave for the weekend but go back for another 4 months without problems.

We are getting married next month in Canada, and then I will go back and forth to Canada whilst our spousal visa application is being processed.

My question is, what are the implications of me staying in Canada whilst our application is being processed? Do I have any rights as his wife or will I have to leave once I have outstayed the 4 months visitation rights?

Has anyone been through the same?

Would love to get some advice.

Thanking you in advance.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If you marry in Canada and do an in-country application, you can stay in Canada while your case is being processed. However, if you leave for any reason, you will not be allowed to return to Canada until processing is finalized.

S

stewarpe

Stay send in the papers to have it process and wait here untill it is finalized. My friend bro just got married and is wife is still here she has sent in her papers to have it finalized and its processing. Good luck

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
if you do outland which is faster, then you can come and when you get to the border (have your husband with you) tell them you want to visit while waiting PR, sjhow your receipt of fees paid and any letters from cic, they might either give you a year visitor record or stamp your passport, and if they just stamp your passport and by chance your application takes longer than the 4 months then just pay a fee to have your visitor record extended. i think this is right.you wont be ablt to work or goto school while waiting though unless you file inland and send in an open work permit application along with your PR application, then wehn you get AIP (approval in principle which takes about 5-7 months) you can work. im not an expert and i only type what i think i know so if its wrong please someone correct me.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
tamee said:
if you do outland which is faster, then you can come and when you get to the border (have your husband with you) tell them you want to visit while waiting PR, sjhow your receipt of fees paid and any letters from cic, they might either give you a year visitor record or stamp your passport, and if they just stamp your passport and by chance your application takes longer than the 4 months then just pay a fee to have your visitor record extended. i think this is right.you wont be ablt to work or goto school while waiting though unless you file inland and send in an open work permit application along with your PR application, then wehn you get AIP (approval in principle which takes about 5-7 months) you can work. im not an expert and i only type what i think i know so if its wrong please someone correct me.
I was wondering about this myself as my wife and I married in Canada, and we're doing the outside route. She is currently in England, and don't expect the PR to be finalized till the summer or fall. That being said, we decided to move her here in May as we can't wait any longer. I was worried that going to the airport with a one-way ticket and intentions to stay (subject to PR approval) would prompt border services to deny her entry.

meohmymomo

Mar 15, 2008
Its very possible they will deny her, i'd REALLY suggest that you get her a round trip ticket, When i tried to come here a while back i came w/o a round trip and they sent me straight to a immigration officer who said he wouldn't allow me to stay because i did not have a return ticket. And from what i been told from calling the help lines, they have all said that being married is another reason for them to say no, because is is such a strong reason for the spouse to stay and not return.