+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! Temporary Visitor Visa before Workers Permit?

Dec 25, 2010
I am currently a US citizen and a NY State resident. I have friends in Canada and am planning on living with them while applying for a workers permit (I have a job offer from a church in Canada, and would stay as a Religious Worker). Do I need to apply for a visitors visa although I am a US citizen? Is it possible to apply for a worker's permit without a visa? Thank you so much for your help!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If you are an American citizen then you don't need a visa to enter Canada but you may need a Work Permit to stay and work as a religious worker.

SarahElizabeth.Inc said:
I am currently a US citizen and a NY State resident. I have friends in Canada and am planning on living with them while applying for a workers permit (I have a job offer from a church in Canada, and would stay as a Religious Worker). Do I need to apply for a visitors visa although I am a US citizen? Is it possible to apply for a worker's permit without a visa? Thank you so much for your help!

fgen

Dec 8, 2010
no need leave canada,and i go straight to my job?

Pls help how get visitor visa when I tell embassy i go to canada to find job and interview.

Thank u.

job_seeker said:

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If you managed to obtain a TRV as a visitor, came to Canada and was allowed entry, looked for and found an employer, you can send your initial work permit application to the US (Buffalo or Seattle, other visa offices in the US). You might get a REFUSAL if you state in your application that the reason you're going to Canada is to find job and interview. Think of something else. Be creative :) Is there any particular place in Canada that appeals to you personally to go see and visit? Place that instead.

fgen said:
no need leave canada,and i go straight to my job?

Pls help how get visitor visa when I tell embassy i go to canada to find job and interview.

Thank u.

fgen

Dec 8, 2010
i have many questions for this, not know where start.

how send this work permit?
i send this work permit while I wait inside Canada?
how much time is this processing this paper?
and if yes process while me in canada,does it meaning I must bring my original documents like birth cert,diploma,etc to canada as visitor?

can anybody who succeeded doing this,pls share what happen you. thank you for all this informations.

job_seeker said:
If you managed to obtain a TRV as a visitor, came to Canada and was allowed entry, looked for and found an employer, you can send your initial work permit application to the US (Buffalo or Seattle, other visa offices in the US). You might get a REFUSAL if you state in your application that the reason you're going to Canada is to find job and interview. Think of something else. Be creative :) Is there any particular place in Canada that appeals to you personally to go see and visit? Place that instead.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Your first hurdle is obtaining the visit visa. If you managed to obtain a visit visa and was allowed entry to Canada, you can look for an employer who's willing to hire you (sign a contract with you) and submit a labour market opinion (LMO) in your favour. Once a positive LMO is obtained you can send your application package to the US for the initial work permit (TRV as a worker this time) and get the WP at the closest border to where you'll be staying once you get the visa. You must do all these within your allowed period of stay and whatever extension/s are granted should you be pressed for more time. Yes bring your supporting papers. Do your homework and look at what certifications and documents are needed for the line of work you'd be exploring when you get to Canada.

fgen said:
i have many questions for this, not know where start.

how send this work permit?
i send this work permit while I wait inside Canada?
how much time is this processing this paper?
and if yes process while me in canada,does it meaning I must bring my original documents like birth cert,diploma,etc to canada as visitor?

can anybody who succeeded doing this,pls share what happen you. thank you for all this informations.

fgen

Dec 8, 2010
if I bring my documents w me to Canada,will customs let me in if they check my bags and see them?

job_seeker said:
Your first hurdle is obtaining the visit visa. If you managed to obtain a visit visa and was allowed entry to Canada, you can look for an employer who's willing to hire you (sign a contract with you) and submit a labour market opinion (LMO) in your favour. Once a positive LMO is obtained you can send your application package to the US for the initial work permit (TRV as a worker this time) and get the WP at the closest border to where you'll be staying once you get the visa. You must do all these within your allowed period of stay and whatever extension/s are granted should you be pressed for more time. Yes bring your supporting papers. Do your homework and look at what certifications and documents are needed for the line of work you'd be exploring when you get to Canada.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Customs will not go through your stuff unless drugs or contraband are in your bags. Put your documents inside your check-in bags.

fgen said:
if I bring my documents w me to Canada,will customs let me in if they check my bags and see them?

PRLADY

Feb 18, 2011
Hi I have the same concern but the situation is, she will be coming from the Philippines. Will your reply be applicable too? My sister in law will apply for TRV but I will hire her as caregiver when she arrives here. Will applying for the TRV be difficult for her? I haven't applied the LMO yet. What is your advise..Thanks in advance.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If she can get a TRV to Canada, then you can send the WP/work visa app to the US. Initial work permits are applied for outside of Canada unless one is a student, or spouse of student/skilled worker. Hmmmm seems the posts apply to your sis in law.

PRLADY said:
Hi I have the same concern but the situation is, she will be coming from the Philippines. Will your reply be applicable too? My sister in law will apply for TRV but I will hire her as caregiver when she arrives here. Will applying for the TRV be difficult for her? I haven't applied the LMO yet. What is your advise..Thanks in advance.

srdjanpetrovic84

Feb 19, 2011
Mr. Job seeker

If i understand correct, If i come to Canada with tourist visa and got the LMO and job offer from the employer, then i can mail application to U.S and ask for change to work permit?
What are the chances that it be approved and how long will it take time for response?

And what would be if i have job offer in written but not the LMO?

Thanks in advance!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hi'

srdjanpetrovic84 said:
Mr. Job seeker

If i understand correct, If i come to Canada with tourist visa and got the LMO and job offer from the employer, then i can mail application to U.S and ask for change to work permit? Yes, you can send the WP application and pray that you're not called for interview.

What are the chances that it be approved and how long will it take time for response? No studies done on the chances/probabilities :) We can only do our best and prove that we are the best at what we do or offering to do. No guarantees.

And what would be if i have job offer in written but not the LMO? You need LMO.

Thanks in advance!

srdjanpetrovic84

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks

how long usually does it take to get answer from them, And when can i apply again if i got rejected?
Also if they call me for interview is it possible to apply for U.S. tourist visa from Canada and if it can what documentation do i need?

Best regards