+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP!!! Returning PR with less than the RO 2/5

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tanya1975 said:
Thank you very much for quick reply. That's clear now. Some more questions ... 1).so if we somehow avoid such report we can live 730 without risk that PR status will be revoked ( during PR renewal process)? 2) In order to avoid such report, could be an option to enter CA from US by land? Or there is the same risk?
Thanks.
If you get in without getting reported and avoid immigration for the 730 days, that is you don't apply for anything from them, you don't try to sponsor a relative, don't try to renew your PR card etc. and you don't leave Canada, you shouldn't have much risk of getting reported during the 730 days.

Some say that it is easier to enter by land from the US, that the immigration officers check less but you can always get unlucky with an immigration officer.

tanya1975

Jun 24, 2009
If I use automated border clearance kiosk will it reduce or increase chances to be noticed by immigration officer ? Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tanya1975 said:
If I use automated border clearance kiosk will it reduce or increase chances to be noticed by immigration officer ? Thanks
There is an immigration officer lurking by the automated kiosk too waiting to call people for secondary inspections. I don't know if it increases or decreases your chances of getting reported but I have heard of people getting reported after the secondary inspection.

In order to make up some kind of statistics on where or how it is most likely to get reported, you'd have to have a lot of data on people trying to get in while not meeting the RO. We do not have any such data here, only individual cases of people who got lucky or didn't. You may read that somebody crossed on point x and was not asked any questions and you try to cross there the next day and get a different IO or the same IO in a bad mood and you get reported.

Some IO's don't seem to care much. Some don't even seem to know the rules. Some may be having a good day or a bad day. Some may not care because their shift is about to end when they see you etc. Some may get a soft spot for you if you tell them you have humanitarian grounds for staying outside. Some may not bother to argue with you if you insist that you were only outside Canada for the past 2 weeks. Others will smell a lie and make a point of reporting you if they don't think you are honest. Some may appreciate your honesty if you tell them you don't meet the RO and don't even have a good reason and may let you enter anyway. There is really no way to know. You basically have to try it and see what happens.

chuchay21

Sep 15, 2010
Hello everyone... we got through with no issues. We were asked to go to the immigration office for questions with the things that we were bringing in. Just be honest with answering all of the officers' questions. The officers were very nice and polite. For all those in the same situation as me, good luck and just be honest in answering all questions.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
chuchay21 said:
Hello everyone... we got through with no issues. We were asked to go to the immigration office for questions with the things that we were bringing in. Just be honest with answering all of the officers' questions. The officers were very nice and polite. For all those in the same situation as me, good luck and just be honest in answering all questions.
". . . just be honest in answering all questions . . . "

This is probably a very astute observation. I wonder how many PRs on-the-edge hurt themselves by being evasive or reticent, a bit too vague about dates, their demeanor conveying an impression that they are trying to get away with something, triggering a more strict or even harsh approach?

Overall, my impression is that neither CIC nor CBSA are looking to take away anyone's status based on the technical requirements. If a person is legitimately a PR, is making an effort to settle in Canada, has not abused the system, does not appear to be trying to exploit the system, CBSA POE officers are probably quite likely to be flexible, even lenient, perhaps even generous. Contrary to some reports, Canada does, still, largely encourage immigration.

Those blatantly in breach can probably expect a different experience. And embassy decisions on PR TD applications appear to be significantly more strict.

drpuneetsethi

Jan 24, 2015
chuchay21 said:
Please clarify which route did you use to enter Canada , i. e. by road or an automated kiosk

Feb 21, 2013
Many Congrats!

Can you please confirm following:

While filling Declaration Card/Landing Card did you mention yourself as Permanent Resident or Visitor?
If you mentioned as PR than they didnt question why you returning after so long?

Can you please shed some light about the questions you were asked and how was the interaction?

Thanks for your cooperation.