+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help: PR CARD after landing

Carlos1982

Aug 20, 2010
Hi there,

I was requested to send my passport for visa issuance. I'm planning to land on June 2nd and come back to my home country after 1 or 2 weeks to get married and sponsor my future wife. Right after marrying I will return to Canada for good and start sponsoring her immediately.

My concern is about the PR card and sponsoring wife.

1. Is it mandatory to pick it up in person after 30 business days?

2. Can I have a Canadian friend mail it to me to my home country and then return to Canada with my PR card?

3. How long does it take the process of sponsoring my future wife once I get married and return to Canada to start the sponsoring immediately?

Please seniors or anyone with this kind of experience, tell me your knowledge about this situation, and if it is possible the pros and cons for me.

I don't want to be too long apart from my future wife.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No, it is mailed
2. Yes
3. It depends on where you live. You can check processing times at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

One thing you might have to take into account is that if you marry so soon after getting PR, immigration will know that you were already in a serious relationship. They will wonder if there is a reason why you did not marry earlier and add your wife directly to your application. I heard of one person who had to prove that he did not live with his fiance for 12 or more months before immigrating. If they had, they would have qualified as a common law couple and if they had, he would have had to apply for her immigration at the same time as he applied for his own.

Carlos1982

Aug 20, 2010
thanks for your reply Leon!

one last question, how many weeks or months do you think are reasonable to return marry her then? you know without being suspicious of common law couple or something similar?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it's fine. Just make sure that you mention it in your sponsorship application if you lived together before getting married and for how long.