File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
DM: Mar 20 2016
Posted this question in the PGP thread but didn't get any responses....so posting it here for more visibility.

Hopefully someone has had experience with this. We are sponsoring my spouses parents....unfortunately they don't have a first name as per their passport which is a fairly common issue for older folks passports from India.

What I mean by that is, under 'Given Name' in the passport their full 3 part name is listed; and the 'Surname' is left blank. I am sure some folks from South Asian countries have similar issues when applying for their parents/grandparents passports.

What should we do in this case? Any tips or suggestions from other members.

(I am currently facing issues for my mother who recently immigrated to Canada...she doesn't have a first name on her PR card/Health Card and we face issues anytime we go for a government service. Not sure if its too late to address my mothers case....but we don't want anyone else in the future to face similar issues.)

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
This is a common issue.

As per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4,

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”

Yashika1313

Dec 15, 2018
Posted this question in the PGP thread but didn't get any responses....so posting it here for more visibility.

Hopefully someone has had experience with this. We are sponsoring my spouses parents....unfortunately they don't have a first name as per their passport which is a fairly common issue for older folks passports from India.

What I mean by that is, under 'Given Name' in the passport their full 3 part name is listed; and the 'Surname' is left blank. I am sure some folks from South Asian countries have similar issues when applying for their parents/grandparents passports.

What should we do in this case? Any tips or suggestions from other members.

(I am currently facing issues for my mother who recently immigrated to Canada...she doesn't have a first name on her PR card/Health Card and we face issues anytime we go for a government service. Not sure if its too late to address my mothers case....but we don't want anyone else in the future to face similar issues.)
Hi
My husband has only one name and so does his brother.
He used his first name as last name.
And attached all the possible documents proving that. He got his PR last year
Was a bit trouble for health card or license and stuff but passport worked as an id.

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
DM: Mar 20 2016
Hi
My husband has only one name and so does his brother.
He used his first name as last name.
And attached all the possible documents proving that. He got his PR last year
Was a bit trouble for health card or license and stuff but passport worked as an id.

Thanks Yashika....so does he have a proper Heath Card now? I mean does it have a last name and a first name for him? Or does it only have either a last name or a first name? If its the latter, do you guys plan to do anything about it late? Do you run into any issues when at a pharmacy buying medication?